Line out audio from MacBook Pro Retina Possible?
Jun 14, 2015 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RedJohn456

Headphoneus Supremus
I was hoping to try a portable amp with my macbook but I want to avoid double amping. Is there a way to get true line out whereby one bypasses the internal macbook amplifier?
I was planning to connect the amp via the headphone out port.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 7

No. To bypass the amplification on the 3.5mm output you have to use a USB connection to an external DAC/amp.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 7
In this case, macbook pro to external amplifier, there is no "double amping" that will happen. The output of the MBP, when connected to a line level device (like an amplifier) is very close to true line level. Furthermore, the output of the MBP will NOT CLIP when turned all the way up, so there's no reason to be shy about using the full line level signal. I've tested this myself and you can too if you'd like.

So just plug it in, turn the master volume on the MBP all the way up and you're all set. Until you decide you want better sound that is. A DAC definitely made a difference on my system.

Good luck.

Brian.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 7
In this case, macbook pro to external amplifier, there is no "double amping" that will happen. The output of the MBP, when connected to a line level device (like an amplifier) is very close to true line level. Furthermore, the output of the MBP will NOT CLIP when turned all the way up, so there's no reason to be shy about using the full line level signal. I've tested this myself and you can too if you'd like.

So just plug it in, turn the master volume on the MBP all the way up and you're all set. Until you decide you want better sound that is. A DAC definitely made a difference on my system.

Good luck.

Brian.

Thanks for that info. Will try it tonight. I was just testing an amp and the DACs that I have aren't all that great so I was hoping to use the onboard mac dac only and bypass the amp but this way seems just as good.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Not sure how the MBP and my Late 2012 Mac mini HP out compare but I noticed a significant difference in clarity and quality when I added a DAC to the chain. You can use either USB or optical on the MBP (The headphone out does double duty depending on the year). Beyond that, @bgentry is right on the money.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 7
I my self could compared sound quality from mid-2014 MacBookPro11,3 with the high-quality RWAK100 for weeks, using a pair of $400 HD600 (very well-known nicely balanced hp), multiple types of music (classical, jazz, country, rock, pop)

I found almost no different in sound quality with pop, rock or country. Only when listening to some very distinctive records, I counld hear small diffences.

My conclusions:
Sound details: Equal. I didn't miss any small details with my MBP.
Sound feelings: Mostly equal. AK100 had a very small amount of better sound stage in some multi-instrument records (~5%). AK100 sometimes felt a little sweeter to my ears :)

In my opinion, recent MBP built-in DAC are at high quality, you cannot win it with less than $500 external DAC, AMP. I'm happy with direct sound from MBP for everyday office listening.

Very interesting comparision. If you have a chance, don't miss it :wink:

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 7

The optical out is the way that I go, it is clean and via a suitable amp/dac is very useful. Having previously used Minidisc, I find optical to be my preferred option, so forgive the bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back