Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Feb 8, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #1,021 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason I actually found ES7 more fun and better fits the purpose of been portable...

Maybe so. The ES7 is definitely a fun can to listen to.

After about 50 hours of burn in and about 20 hours of headtime, I don't think my ESW10s have changed much. Not a problem, I like the way they sound as they are out of my D2s. As always, I'll continue to listen to them. Their mids remind of the ATH-AD700. Rich, sometimes (rarely) on the verge of being honky. So that's the AT sound signature?

I'd like to give the ESW9 a try one day. I think it's wood could look a lot prettier with a nice red cherry stain + lacquer.

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #1,022 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's wood could look a lot prettier with a nice red cherry stain + lacquer.

The wood of the ESW9 looks more "classical" than that of ESW10. They are both super-duper beautiful.

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #1,023 of 1,717
My first experience with these fine phones was when I got them out of the box and listened to the Dark Knight soundtrack direct from my iPod Classic there is a bass track on the first track at around 5 min. on the first track that I never heard before! not on my 530s, not on my K701s. Deep Deep Deep bass, so far I'm loving these!
I've spent a week now listening to everything through my EC/SS amp and I've had amazing results. Maybe they are not quite as wide as the K701s but I really think for movies and soundtracks they are better, there is an extra umph!! that comes from these that I never noticed on my K701s.
Comfort wise they are not as bad as most Grados I have used (80s, 225s, 325is, MSPros) but there is still that moment after a while where I have to take these off and give my ears a quick rub, the clamping does accumulate after a while, I'm hoping they loosen up eventually.
I can't wait to give these another trial run on a hot day in the summer, just to see if the pads are as hot as the W1000 I recently sold. Isolation hasn't been much of an issue for me, since these haven't left my Apt. but they do cover up the sounds coming from my fridge!
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #1,024 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just depends on your need. You want some nice portable, unamped sound? Nothing better than the ESW9. You are lazy and don't want to move your ass around? The HD600 is your choice. Don't go with the HD600 if you don't have some nice sources or amps because it sounds even worse than ESW9 when not powered well.

I personally think the ESW10JPN can compare one on one with both the HD600/650. My ESW10JPN, when driven by some good amps, sounds ****** awesome. I once disliked the harsh sound of the treble but was deeply impressed by that of the ESW10. I didn't care who told it has too much treble
wink.gif
They just sound like what I want. I'm looking for my W11JPN's arrival to compare with my trushworthy ESW10. Really want to keep of them but you can't have two wifes these days
wink.gif
That sucks. Girlfriends are OK though.

Ha. None of us need any more headphones. I already own a ESW9 and HD600. Then I saw your sig and had to get you to post your thoughts
biggrin.gif
I was hoping you would tell me the ESW10 does not compare to the HD600

When you talk about the ESW10 treble on its own merits, what of compared to the ESW9 and HD600? I want to read more
tongue.gif
redface.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #1,026 of 1,717
I feel the treble on the ESW10 is better than those of the ESW9 and HD600, which all sound dull to me. It's more sparkling but not fatigued like the Grados. The ESW10 reminds me of a full-sized PK1 but with more bass and sounstage.

@ hamburger (lol!): I think so
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #1,027 of 1,717
But you say one on one with the HD600 it is comparable? So where does the HD600 shine [more]? Unless I am drawing the incorrect inference

Fatiguing won't do. I am like a girl and have such sensitive ears. On occasion the HD600 and ESW9 actually for a moment reach that peak where the treble grates. Female vocals and those high pitched notes
tongue.gif

Still at £400 I do not see the ESW10 as value for money. Its all perceptions but it would have to be some headphone to be worth £220 more than the HD600 retails at (notwithstanding I paid £80 for my HD600, new because I won a amazon voucher
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #1,028 of 1,717
The HD600 shines when going balanced with my tube amp
smily_headphones1.gif
They are only on the same par when driven by my headamp of the DAC1.
You can't ask more when getting your new HD600 @ £80
tongue.gif
It's a steal. The price of the ESW10 is definitely high, may be because of its Limited.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #1,032 of 1,717
Wouldn't surprise me, considering the small amount made.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #1,035 of 1,717
Maybe I imagined a significant price rise on account of these economic times of ours

I searched the thread and found old posts of mind. It seems since October the ESW9 has risen a mere £15, making the [size=xx-small]£147.change [size=x-small]I paid an easier hit
tongue.gif

Still the ESW10 is a lot
[/size][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back