Light Harmonic GEEK
Sep 4, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #1,186 of 1,658
Glad they were able to fix it. They should put the actual price paid on future shipments, I see tons of people on their forum telling them its critical

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #1,188 of 1,658
Updates from Larry regarding the firmware/Windows drivers

Today, I spent quite sometime with Manny on Windows platform again.

Good News: Our new version 2.23 driver works fine with Windows 8.1/Windows 7.
Bad News: The buttons issue seems related to Windows driver and we need to let Theyscon to confirm that again.
No matter what we could change on firmware side. It is related to the way that how Windows interprets the volume settings and send to DAC.

Few findings: Don't touch the MASTER Volume setting, use analog1/ analog2... That is much more likely won't be reset by system when plug then replug.

On new firmware with new driver. Volume pop-up is very seldom, but sometimes the volume settings from computer is not working properly unless you reboot the computer if you keep plug and replug the DAC.

Use the individual volume on right side instead of master volume setting. And that setting will be memories by Windows.

Our Windows driver company is starting to find out why. And I read several other sound devices has similar issues...

Now I tend to re-define the buttons feature in new firmware.

Or we will leave the volume buttons for Mac platform only. Since even our Windows driver vendor doesn't have a complete pictures about what is the difference between Windows 8.1/7...

Let me emphasis again here: Geek Out is an USB DAC. We could only follow what every volume settings we got from OS/Software. So if the system 'decide' to reset to -0dB. or do what ever they like, we really could do little about it.

For IEM users with Windows, I would suggest change to Geek Out IEM.
The new firmware 1V5.... Actually I spent much more time on improving SQ. Seems there is not too much we could do for wrong volume setting values from computer. Since DAC has no knowledge if we work with IEM or Big Can, so -0dB is right or wrong? No way to tell....

Here is the SQ related work list I have.

1. 3L buffer optimization. Now the elastic buffer could skip off the redundant calculation in many cases.
2. Also the Bit perfect situation SQ (-0dB) will greatly improved. So for the people work with line-out and home stereo, congratulations!
3. 64 volume control improves the software part too. Also, more closely mapping to the system settings.
4. Lower the work load for USB thread load and increase the priority of core audio priority.

Sounds boring? a little. But that is part of the beauty for software. You wake up fresh in the morning, you realized there is a smarter way to write that code. 3 hours after, you have better music from your HD800...

So here comes my plan:

1. Mac Version: Vol+ and Vol- down keep it there.... Two press together: 3D on/off or Switching digital filter?
(Seems need a vote here)
2. Windows Version:
Vol+ ---> 3D on or off.
Vol- ---> Switching between Digital Filter (IIR filter)'s type and bandwidth. Totally two.
Let's say Type 1. & Type 2.

Gosh... UI is the hardest part.

Larry

I've been comparing the original firmware to the beta firmware for sound quality instead of volume control like I was earlier and I'm pleasantly surprised! Music seems to be more spacious to me and the instrument separation is better (so instruments are better-defined within the soundstage). It's like the difference between listening to music in a narrow corridor and listening to music in a large room (I always found the Geek Out to sound narrow-sounding, this effect is removed with the beta firmware). Also, a kind of harsh sound that I'm used to hearing with the original firmware is now removed, which is really great news!

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #1,189 of 1,658
I've been comparing the original firmware to the beta firmware for sound quality instead of volume control like I was earlier and I'm pleasantly surprised! Music seems to be more spacious to me and the instrument separation is better (so instruments are better-defined within the soundstage). It's like the difference between listening to music in a narrow corridor and listening to music in a large room (I always found the Geek Out to sound narrow-sounding, this effect is removed with the beta firmware). Also, a kind of harsh sound that I'm used to hearing with the original firmware is now removed, which is really great news!

Interesting. So a firmware change can affect the sound quality. Didn't expect that.

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,190 of 1,658

Interesting. So a firmware change can affect the sound quality. Didn't expect that.

You can update certain things with firmware depending on how the digital side of the device is configured. Light Harmonic is known to focus a lot of energy on the digital side of things, so I'm not too surprised that they made the Geek Out (and likely other Geek products) really configurable with firmware updates.

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,195 of 1,658
Today's the first anniversary
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #1,196 of 1,658

Quote:
This all started when I posted on a LH forum about SE. I had basically posted that, as a future SE owner, I was concerned that the SE, which is a souped up GO (better hardware, same design/software), would have the same problems I and many others had with the GO. For this I've been accused of trolling, spamming, and told not to ruin that threads happy, cheer leading tone. Since this is supposed to be All Things Geek, and LH Labs people sometimes read/post here, that I brought it here.

The initial question as you posed it here seems just fine to me...no issue with it in and of itself. Yes, will the forthcoming product have the same issue, and will it still be firmware updatable?

BUT...

My issue was with numerous other off topic threads from several members that had nothing to do with the thread topic which prompted me to ask to keep the thread on-topic.

http://lhlabs.com/force/kickstartergeekout/1261-igg-geek-out-signature-edition?start=75#30619

Jack Skowron:

OK, but I have 2 issues with my GO 1K, I'm not too computer savvy, have posted multiple times, haven't gotten easy to follow directions for help. 1)the volume issue, use Windows 7 on my desktop, how do I avoid the volume being full blast, especially on 1st connecting. 2)I haven't figured out how to get sound from my browser (say, YouTube) to go through my speakers since I got the Geek. I can listen to browser through headphone jack of the computer, not through the connected powered speakers, GO seems to play only JRiver. Any simple to follow directions someone could share a link to? Thanks.

Here is my post in this thread politely asking to keep the thread on-topic and was in direct response to a technical troubleshooting dialogue that was developing amongst several members, and posted more appropriate sections to discuss such topics. This was my one and only post to this effect BTW!

Junker:

Can we keep this thread about the SE, and post about volume issues on another thread? Thanks!

Geek Out Troubleshooting

Software Section

And then I come over here to see your posting completely mischaracterizing who I was, what I said, and why I said it. I would like to keep the thread on-topic about the SE and not turn into some tech support / troubleshooting thread for other products. Asking if the SE will have the new f/w is a great question...the rest of it was going very off-topic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/677263/light-harmonic-geek/1140#post_10844225

Okay... now I am sorry to take this thread off-topic. Please carry on.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,198 of 1,658
Again, I apologized for misidentifying you as a moderator, still seems to me that worries about the SE software are appropriate in any of these threads. It is beating a dead horse at this point, though. Since the update should be release soon, I don't feel the need to keep posting about the volume/software issues (and haven't for a while, you must have seen a post from earlier) until we see the replacement firmware in the field. If it is still a problem, THEN I'll still feel it is appropriate in this, the SE thread, the LH thread, all of which relate to Geek Out and the firmware IMO. But, I'm certainly ready to let it rest for now, see what the update brings.

This all started when I posted on a LH forum about SE. I had basically posted that, as a future SE owner, I was concerned that the SE, which is a souped up GO (better hardware, same design/software), would have the same problems I and many others had with the GO. For this I've been accused of trolling, spamming, and told not to ruin that threads happy, cheer leading tone. Since this is supposed to be All Things Geek, and LH Labs people sometimes read/post here, that I brought it here.

The initial question as you posed it here seems just fine to me...no issue with it in and of itself. Yes, will the forthcoming product have the same issue, and will it still be firmware updatable?

BUT...

My issue was with numerous other off topic threads from several members that had nothing to do with the thread topic which prompted me to ask to keep the thread on-topic.

http://lhlabs.com/force/kickstartergeekout/1261-igg-geek-out-signature-edition?start=75#30619

Jack Skowron:

OK, but I have 2 issues with my GO 1K, I'm not too computer savvy, have posted multiple times, haven't gotten easy to follow directions for help. 1)the volume issue, use Windows 7 on my desktop, how do I avoid the volume being full blast, especially on 1st connecting. 2)I haven't figured out how to get sound from my browser (say, YouTube) to go through my speakers since I got the Geek. I can listen to browser through headphone jack of the computer, not through the connected powered speakers, GO seems to play only JRiver. Any simple to follow directions someone could share a link to? Thanks.

Here is my post in this thread politely asking to keep the thread on-topic and was in direct response to a technical troubleshooting dialogue that was developing amongst several members, and posted more appropriate sections to discuss such topics. This was my one and only post to this effect BTW!

Junker:

Can we keep this thread about the SE, and post about volume issues on another thread? Thanks!

[COLOR=4C90FE]Geek Out Troubleshooting[/COLOR]

[COLOR=4C90FE]Software Section[/COLOR]

And then I come over here to see your posting completely mischaracterizing who I was, what I said, and why I said it. I would like to keep the thread on-topic about the SE and not turn into some tech support / troubleshooting thread for other products. Asking if the SE will have the new f/w is a great question...the rest of it was going very off-topic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/677263/light-harmonic-geek/1140#post_10844225

Okay... now I am sorry to take this thread off-topic. Please carry on.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,199 of 1,658
Thanks, I will check it out a little more.  I am only testing JRiver software for now.  I did spend about 1.5 hours configuring and trouble shooting Foobar 2000 and I got it to work with the 720.  The DSD lights up now.  Now I need to figure out how to install more skins...

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,200 of 1,658
Let's hope so, right!

I hope Larry just releases a f/w version that does away with volume control on the DAC altogether, and uses one button for mute and the other to alternate between the linear, slow roll-off filter and the minimum phase (MP) filter. The 3D LED position could just be mapped to the digital filter setting in this case. IMO the VC on the DAC is redundant and is just asking for issues in fighting the application and o/s layer for control. There are bound to be surprises even if everything is set-up properly. Now on a DAP it would make sense to have them obviously.

Let's see... =)

Quote:
Since the update should be release soon, I don't feel the need to keep posting about the volume/software issues (and haven't for a while, you must have seen a post from earlier) until we see the replacement firmware in the field. If it is still a problem, THEN I'll still feel it is appropriate in this, the SE thread, the LH thread, all of which relate to Geek Out and the firmware IMO. But, I'm certainly ready to let it rest for now, see what the update brings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back