Light Harmonic GEEK
May 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #901 of 1,658
i've been playing around with a lot of DSD files. there are some really good ones and a lot of so-so ones as well. lots of good jazz out there.

but one album in particular that i am loving is michael jackson's "thriller"...the DSD album is very fun to listen to. it was mastered a little on the hot side (much louder than most of my other albums) but it's a great album for testing your headphone's soundstage and bass slam. 

May 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #902 of 1,658
Speaking of DSD, does anyone have any albums to recommend? I have a free 2L album code from Light Harmonic and I'm not sure what to use it on. I was planning to use it to get a stereo DSD128 album since 1) I don't have any DSD albums, and 2) I might as well use it on a higher resolution format since the Geek products can play it, and 3) at $38 an album, that's insanely expensive for me to purchase normally. It wouldn't make much sense to get the multi-channel DSD64 format, would it?

I'm contemplating between Ola Gjeilo's "Piano Improvisation" album since it's Ola Gjeilo and I like his works, but I also like Schola Solensis' "Psallat Ecclesia: Sequences From Medieval Norway" album because I enjoy choral works too.

Decisions, decisions...

2L records are using a DXD ADC, considering the GO is capable of these rates you're likely better off selecting that over DSD from this source. He basically converts the DXD to DSD after the fact...which you could do on your own. 

Acoustic Sounds is having a rare 10% sale on their DSD right now. These are typically tape transfers with an actual DSD ADC. They give a little info on the provinance of their recordings which helps give some peace of mind. Tomorrow is the last day of the sale - http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/365/Digital_Download

May 21, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #903 of 1,658
There are 10 DSD128 sample files (and a lot more in different format) you can doawnload in their sample page.

Link: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Bought their 2L - The Nordic Sound - Audiophile Reference Recording album in DSD128.
It contains 19 reference recordings.

Link: https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/35847/?

It costs 33EUR. After applying the Free 2L Album Code...It then comes FREE.

Remember its a 6GB download.

Ah, I've visited that webpage before, and that's how I came across Ola Gjeilo's "Piano Improvisations" album. Unfortunately classical music isn't my top pick for music genres to listen to, and most of the DSD files offered from that webpage are classical. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to classical and that doesn't come up very often. XD

2L records are using a DXD ADC, considering the GO is capable of these rates you're likely better off selecting that over DSD from this source. He basically converts the DXD to DSD after the fact...which you could do on your own. 

Acoustic Sounds is having a rare 10% sale on their DSD right now. These are typically tape transfers with an actual DSD ADC. They give a little info on the provinance of their recordings which helps give some peace of mind. Tomorrow is the last day of the sale - http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/365/Digital_Download

This is true. I would like to get DXD files, but I haven't encountered any albums that are sold in that format yet. The ones I listed in my last post were recorded in DXD, but they offer DSD64 and DSD128 for some odd reason. Are DXD files larger or something?

I'll give Acoustic Sounds a look later. Thank you for the heads-up! : )

May 22, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #905 of 1,658
DXD files are larger than DSD128 files

May 22, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #906 of 1,658
but DXD are PCM files, right? Just with an higher samplerate, It has nothing to do with DSD. Because the name suggests that its some pimped up DSD Format, but it really isnt.

QUESTION about the free 2L album code from Light Harmonic
Was this a perk, a stretch goal, or a bonus of being one of the 300?
I have a feeling, that I should get one too, since I was one of the first 300, a Geek Out and Pulse backer... just a feeling :)

May 22, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #907 of 1,658

To clarify, are 2L records using a DXD ADC? It states that albums are produced in DXD, but often times these are recorded using DSD equipment I thought. According to the Wikipedia articles of DXD and DSD, DSD is more common to record with, DXD to edit. DSD to PCM is a non-reversible process and apparently PCM has some loss of data when converted back to DSD. I'm not 100% sure about this though. I'm wondering if the DSD files that 2L offers are PCM converted to DSD, or if it's vice versa (DSD to PCM).

Regarding Acoustic Sounds, I had no idea so many albums were offered in DSD! That's really surprising to me, so thank you for pointing me to there. It's really nice that they do give the brief description of how the album was obtained and what not. I've had some bad experiences with HD Tracks' albums and they provide essentially zero details about the origin of the album and how it was mastered and whatnot.

but DXD are PCM files, right? Just with an higher samplerate, It has nothing to do with DSD. Because the name suggests that its some pimped up DSD Format, but it really isnt.

QUESTION about the free 2L album code from Light Harmonic
Was this a perk, a stretch goal, or a bonus of being one of the 300?
I have a feeling, that I should get one too, since I was one of the first 300, a Geek Out and Pulse backer... just a feeling :)

Yes, DXD is a PCM format, but they're often derived from DSD formats from my understanding.

As for the 2L code, I'm not really sure how it was distributed. I received an e-mail from Gavin with the code and I don't know why since I wasn't a Geek Out backer and I don't recall anything in the Geek Pulse campaign regarding it other than the Christmas Geek competition.

May 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #908 of 1,658
To clarify, are 2L records using a DXD ADC? It states that albums are produced in DXD, but often times these are recorded using DSD equipment I thought. According to the Wikipedia articles of DXD and DSD, DSD is more common to record with, DXD to edit. DSD to PCM is a non-reversible process and apparently PCM has some loss of data when converted back to DSD. I'm not 100% sure about this though. I'm wondering if the DSD files that 2L offers are PCM converted to DSD, or if it's vice versa (DSD to PCM).

Regarding Acoustic Sounds, I had no idea so many albums were offered in DSD! That's really surprising to me, so thank you for pointing me to there. It's really nice that they do give the brief description of how the album was obtained and what not. I've had some bad experiences with HD Tracks' albums and they provide essentially zero details about the origin of the album and how it was mastered and whatnot.
Yes, DXD is a PCM format, but they're often derived from DSD formats from my understanding.

As for the 2L code, I'm not really sure how it was distributed. I received an e-mail from Gavin with the code and I don't know why since I wasn't a Geek Out backer and I don't recall anything in the Geek Pulse campaign regarding it other than the Christmas Geek competition.

It's a pretty good point of contention if you've got the chops to follow along with the different arguments. I would suggest a search on computeraudiophile.com on DXD or DSD if would like to hear from some heavyweights...it is interesting, and fighty...usually :p

My very laymans or listeners view is this - The two sound different and I like both.  Recordings done with a 1 bit DSD ADC have a signature or fingerprint that isn't lifted once it is converted to PCM/DXD for editing then back to 1 bit DSD. Subjectively, very smooth midrange, rich harmonics, depth of timbre and potential for thrilling soundstage..very enveloping. Recorded on DXD/PCM there is the possibility...considering a decent ADC, that has stunning highs, airyness and accuracy that just isn't there on DSD. The important part from my perspective is this fingerprint, even translating a file to one format or the other after recording, it seems to be retained although, it may pick up subtle traits of it's new format.

So back to 2L, recorded in DXD or high rate PCM...it still has the PCM fingerprint even when converted to DSD. This is okay as both his recording technique and ADC are excellent and all the benefits of great PCM are there in all the formats. Is it a DSD recording, no...just DSD formatting. I suggested the DXD version because IMHO you're better off getting a format that is as close to the native ADC as possible. You can do what you wish with it after that.

May 25, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #909 of 1,658
Maybe you want to check out this album - Quiet Winter Night https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/411252.

It was one of the nominees of Best Surround Sound Album in 55th Grammy Award. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Surround_Sound_Album.

Oh wow, this is fantastic! I think I'll use the 2L coupon on this album.

Thank you so much for the recommendation! :)
I can't wait to see how the Geek Out handles the DXD format. Right now I plan on using Audirvana Plus to downsample it for my current DAC.

So the question remains, multi-channel or not? XD
I think multi-channel tracks are downmixed to stereo if you only have a stereo playback system, no?

It's a pretty good point of contention if you've got the chops to follow along with the different arguments. I would suggest a search on computeraudiophile.com on DXD or DSD if would like to hear from some heavyweights...it is interesting, and fighty...usually :p

My very laymans or listeners view is this - The two sound different and I like both. Recordings done with a 1 bit DSD ADC have a signature or fingerprint that isn't lifted once it is converted to PCM/DXD for editing then back to 1 bit DSD. Subjectively, very smooth midrange, rich harmonics, depth of timbre and potential for thrilling soundstage..very enveloping. Recorded on DXD/PCM there is the possibility...considering a decent ADC, that has stunning highs, airyness and accuracy that just isn't there on DSD. The important part from my perspective is this fingerprint, even translating a file to one format or the other after recording, it seems to be retained although, it may pick up subtle traits of it's new format.

So back to 2L, recorded in DXD or high rate PCM...it still has the PCM fingerprint even when converted to DSD. This is okay as both his recording technique and ADC are excellent and all the benefits of great PCM are there in all the formats. Is it a DSD recording, no...just DSD formatting. I suggested the DXD version because IMHO you're better off getting a format that is as close to the native ADC as possible. You can do what you wish with it after that.

Ah I see. I better leave the sound signatures out of the equation then. XD

The suggested album above says "5.1 SURROUND + STEREO produced in DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition 352kHz/24bit) by Lindberg Lyd, Norway" but the only DXD format they have is for stereo. I'm still a bit confused as to which format they actually use when recording since they don't explicitly say. Did they convert to DSD to make the multichannel format since MCH DSD64 is the only one they offer?

May 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #910 of 1,658
Oh wow, this is fantastic! I think I'll use the 2L coupon on this album.

Thank you so much for the recommendation!
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't wait to see how the Geek Out handles the DXD format. Right now I plan on using Audirvana Plus to downsample it for my current DAC.

So the question remains, multi-channel or not? XD
I think multi-channel tracks are downmixed to stereo if you only have a stereo playback system, no?
Ah I see. I better leave the sound signatures out of the equation then. XD

The suggested album above says "5.1 SURROUND + STEREO produced in DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition 352kHz/24bit) by Lindberg Lyd, Norway" but the only DXD format they have is for stereo. I'm still a bit confused as to which format they actually use when recording since they don't explicitly say. Did they convert to DSD to make the multichannel format since MCH DSD64 is the only one they offer?

There are some multi-channel samples out there. Maybe you want to try listen to them before deciding which version to purchase. You can find some some free samples in different format (DSD, WAVE, FLAC, MP3, MCH)

1. DSF - DSD64 - Stereo (241.7MB)
  2. DSF - DSD64 - MultiChannel (604.2MB)
  3. Obviously the file size of the multi-channel version is so much larger. 

May 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #911 of 1,658

Geek Out Update

It's been quite a long time since you pre-ordered your Geek Out from us, and you're probably wondering where it is.  So, I want to let you know what's going on.

Unfortunately, there have been some major delays.  We first expected Geek Out to be ready for delivery in January.  We based the estimate on the deliverables that our vendors gave us, plus we added in a little "padding" so we'd be sure to make the deadline.  Well, the deadline came and went and our vendors let us down.  This happened multiple times.

As of now, every component that goes inside Geek Out has been sitting in our facility for the past 10 weeks except one: an ultra-low noise clock driver made by On Semi Conductor.  This vendor first told us they would ship the part to us in January, then they delayed us to early March.  On and on that went until last week, when we finally got the part.  This component is important because it makes Geek Out stand out from its competition in regards to the digital clock jitter performance.

Right now we have all of the parts needed for final assembly of the circuit board at our vendor's facility in Reno, NV.  They are going to be shipping us the assembled boards in batches of 200 each day, starting Thursday (we'll receive them at our facility on Friday).  Once we have them, we'll test them, and do the final assembly and quality assurance.  At that point, we'll ship them out to you.

Thank you for your extreme patience!  Everybody here at LH Labs (especially me) really appreciates how long-suffering and supportive you have been and continue to be.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If you have any concerns that you want to speak to us about, please open a trouble ticket at http://geek.lhlabs.com/geekoutsupport.  Doing it this way helps us to manage everything in one place, and ensures that we respond in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

Manny Torres, Light Harmonic

May 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #912 of 1,658
Anyone think Geek out will benefit from USB power conditioner like the one from iFi? Or any sort of DC powered hub? It is my first USB DAC and hence these questions :)

May 31, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #915 of 1,658
But still unable to play DSD....

That said, I recognize DSD is more curiosity.  98% of my music is CD quality.  A bit more DVD quality.  DSD is less than 0.5%. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back