Light Harmonic GEEK
Oct 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,262 of 1,658
Just want to clarify, the convex button that's closer to the headphone jacks is supposed to be volume up and TCM correct? It sounds more detailed than the concave button.

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,264 of 1,658
tried the upgrade, starts to update (bar graph moves a bit), then it stops and I get error OxEE000003. Tried this multiple times, didn't make a difference, plugged into different usb ports, didn't make a difference. Oh well....

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,265 of 1,658
tried the upgrade, starts to update (bar graph moves a bit), then it stops and I get error OxEE000003. Tried this multiple times, didn't make a difference, plugged into different usb ports, didn't make a difference. Oh well....

I had a problem with the Geek Out disconnecting before the upgrade too. 

I had to upgrade the firmware on a different machine. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I would try reinstalling the device drivers. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #1,266 of 1,658

Just want to clarify, the convex button that's closer to the headphone jacks is supposed to be volume up and TCM correct? It sounds more detailed than the concave button.

The concave button is the UP button if I recall correctly.

Concave (it dents inward like a cave) is volume down, or the button closest to the USB port.
Convex is volume up, or the button closest to the headphone ports.

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #1,267 of 1,658
Concave (it dents inward like a cave) is volume down, or the button closest to the USB port.
Convex is volume up, or the button closest to the headphone ports.

Thanks for clarifying, thought I was crazy at first when what I thought was the FRM sounded better, but turns out it was the TCM after all lol.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,268 of 1,658

I had a problem with the Geek Out disconnecting before the upgrade too. 

I had to upgrade the firmware on a different machine. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I would try reinstalling the device drivers. 

Reinstalling which drivers? The upgrade? The original?

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,271 of 1,658
Upgraded without a hitch.  Like the TCM filtering as well. No more volume spikes.  Good job LH. Good job miceblue for the excellent tutorial. 

The only suggestion I have is to repurpose the blue LED that was used for the 3D as one of the new filter presets to identify which filter is activated (i.e. blue/TCM, white/FRM).

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,272 of 1,658
So the new firmware update itself introduces better optimisation for DSD loading to avoid pauses that some people experienced, as well as an optimised the 3L buffer whatever that is. Switching between the first and beta firmware, it made the music a little smoother-sounding.

Oh, I just found a bit of information about what the 3L buffer might be.
http://www.lightharmonic.com/davinci.html
Precision Timing
In digital signal conversion, timing is everything! To ensure computer speed fluctuations would not influence Da Vinci, and that it would run at a constant speed, Light Harmonic developed a proprietary (and patent-pending) Three-Layer Buffer similar to the buffering technology many of today's high-speed computers employ. This is the first time such a design has been applied to audio.

I had no idea that was in the Geek Out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back