Life Size Image of a Blue Whale
May 17, 2008 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
May 17, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 22
This is one of the coolest things ive seen in a while. If you look at certain sections and sit back you really get a sense of how big this beast really is. Its crazy.

May 17, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 22
Wow....just...wow. Speechless. Thx for posting, Jahn!

May 17, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
somehow i imagine it being even bigger....

that's what she s-...
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 22
I'm sorry, I must be missing something. What are we looking at here? I see nothing but white flurries flying around.

May 17, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 22
The blue whale in the Hall of Ocean Life isn't that large. Or at least, it's not always as big as people expect it to be. Though, that hall is, I believe, the most dimly lit hall in the museum.
It's only really scary when the museum hasn't opened, and there are no visitors around. I used to always expect something to jump out of a display and attack.. x.x

The space shows at the planetarium are always really awesome. They're always a crowd pleaser, especially with kids. I suggest that you take your kid to Cosmic Collisions.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 22
Definitely try to encourage him to see the Blue Whale room. If it's anything like or better than The Hall of Great Whales showcased at The New Brunswick Museum (where I work), then he should be very impressed. We have a Northern Right Whale skeleton and a life size replica of the same whale hanging from the gallery ceiling. Kids love the gallery(as do adults).

Whale2.jpg

Whale5.jpg

Whale1.jpg

Whale6.jpg

May 17, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 22
The Smithsonian Natural History Museum has a life sized model of a blue whale. Is the linked picture life size? I can't seem to be able to download it
tongue.gif

Edit: It finished just as I posted. Pretty cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, I must be missing something. What are we looking at here? I see nothing but white flurries flying around.

Try moving the little red square in the inset picture. The little square shows what's in the whole screen. It started over the eye for me.

May 17, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 22
Great site! Reminds me of the whaling wall nearby in Redondo Beach:

1614-40.jpg

Wyeth (the artist) painted several whales life-sized on the building - it's much more impressive in person.

I don't know if they still do it, but we used to have field trips in elementary school where we'd go out on boats to see gray whales migrate along the coast. Whales are just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back