Life after Yggdrasil?
Oct 26, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #856 of 1,366
  You know that Torq links all his impressions in the first posting?

If you want to see his take on this or any other DAC he's tried, hit the first page button then scroll through the list of DACs until you see the one you're curious about.

Pls, people, read the first post, skim the thread to stop suggesting DACs Torq has either already described or already rejected.

That way, it's less annoying for him and he can spend his valuable time trying out and giving impressions on the remaining DACs on his list (and the Spring DAC which I don't think is on his list but he got to hear anyway).

Apologies if I sound like the thread police but it's exhausting to keep reading requests for the same DACs over and over, not discussing DACs but lobbying Torq to change his mind, and/or not taking advantage of the first post accumulation of knowledge.

I didn't ask about what he thinks about the DAC, I've read it earlier again and before that I know that he loves the DAC, he said it himself that it's the best DAC he has ever heard.
I was asking why he removed the DAC from the list.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #857 of 1,366

I didn't ask about what he thinks about the DAC, I've read it earlier again and before that I know that he loves the DAC, he said it himself that it's the best DAC he has ever heard.
I was asking why he removed the DAC from the list.

This doesn't satisfy: post #829 ? (using advanced search for chord dave by user Torq)

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #858 of 1,366

This doesn't satisfy: post #829 ? (using advanced search for chord dave by user Torq)

"Finally, I am removing Chord's DAVE from my shortlist.  This is not based on any sonic attribute or shortfall, I've simply decided that I won't be buying one for myself (for several reasons, which, again, have nothing to do with how it sounds) and consequently there is no reason for me to burden a dealer with providing a demo unit for a more protracted period.  This does not change my impressions of the unit at all, and the existing write-up will remain as-is."

I've put it in bold what I would like clarifications for

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #859 of 1,366
It seems that "in his opinion" the YGGY is almost/just about/really nearly/a hair's breadth off/etc./ad hoc/ad nauseum the sound quality of the Chord Dave for considerably less shekels/folderol/pelf/dinero/etc/etc/etc.

YMMV or may not.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #860 of 1,366
The way I see it, is that Torq is just sharing his journey in his quest to find a new DAC with us, a DAC that is at least as good as the Yggy he previously had and he wants to do it in the most cost effective and justifiable way, at the same time he wants it to be aesthetically pleasing to him and to fit into his existing system.

He owes us absolutely nothing and we are all free to join him in his journey or to jump off the truck at any time we wish - free of charge. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #861 of 1,366

"Finally, I am removing Chord's DAVE from my shortlist.  This is not based on any sonic attribute or shortfall, I've simply decided that I won't be buying one for myself (for several reasons, which, again, have nothing to do with how it sounds) and consequently there is no reason for me to burden a dealer with providing a demo unit for a more protracted period.  This does not change my impressions of the unit at all, and the existing write-up will remain as-is."

If I had wanted to get into detail about my reasons I would have.

As others have said already, the reasons are there I just don't care to rehash them.

Or, in other words, "get used to disappointment".

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #862 of 1,366

If I had wanted to get into detail about my reasons I would have.

As others have said already, the reasons are there I just don't care to rehash them.

Or, in other words, "get used to disappointment".

What no youtube clip!?

How about

?

Dunno if Torq can pull off the silks and mask...

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #863 of 1,366

From my memory, Torq had some kind of DSD dropout issue and the Chord team couldn't help him solve this probelm or come out with a solution. That and he is not a fan of the aesthetics of the Dave.

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #864 of 1,366
  It seems that "in his opinion" the YGGY is almost/just about/really nearly/a hair's breadth off/etc./ad hoc/ad nauseum the sound quality of the Chord Dave for considerably less shekels/folderol/pelf/dinero/etc/etc/etc.

YMMV or may not.

It's hard to justify $14,000 for any component, IMHO.  Maybe speakers...

For $14,000, I would expect a DAC to utterly destroy the competition below $5,000, and it seems pretty clear that's not the case with DACS.  Seems like you can get 98% of the way to your idea of ideal with $2,500 -> $4,000, which renders everything above the $4,000 price point completely irrelevant and kind of silly, in my opinion.

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #866 of 1,366

For $14,000, I would expect a DAC to utterly destroy the competition below $5,000, and it seems pretty clear that's not the case with DACS.  Seems like you can get 98% of the way to your idea of ideal with $2,500 -> $4,000, which renders everything above the $4,000 price point completely irrelevant and kind of silly, in my opinion.

I finally have a yggy on order, it's supposed to be here tomorrow. Last night, I was listening on my headphone rig, mimby, Jot, HD650 and it sounded great. I was thinking, gosh, how much better is the yggy going to be in this chain? Then I start thinking, how much better would the 14k Chord Dave be? Nearly 6 times the price of Yggy, and what over 56 times the price of the mimby? That's incredible! Anyway, the nice thing about this hobby is people can spend 14k if they want, and if it makes them happy. Me, I'm not even sure if I should have spent for yggy, or I should have been happy with the mimby and called it good. I guess I'll find out! Also, I agree that speakers (if some of the listening includes speakers of course) would be a better investment at that price point (14k).

Oct 27, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #867 of 1,366
Apologies to Torq for my post a while back about the Directstream. I hate it when people post wastefully without first checking the purpose of the thread, or without even trying to search. 
But I broke my own rules - in this case by forgetting the purpose of this excellent thread.  

Quote:

Pls, people, read the first post, skim the thread to stop suggesting DACs Torq has either already described or already rejected.

That way, it's less annoying for him and he can spend his valuable time trying out and giving impressions on the remaining DACs on his list (and the Spring DAC which I don't think is on his list but he got to hear anyway).

Oct 27, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #868 of 1,366

I finally have a yggy on order, it's supposed to be here tomorrow. Last night, I was listening on my headphone rig, mimby, Jot, HD650 and it sounded great. I was thinking, gosh, how much better is the yggy going to be in this chain? Then I start thinking, how much better would the 14k Chord Dave be? Nearly 6 times the price of Yggy, and what over 56 times the price of the mimby? That's incredible! Anyway, the nice thing about this hobby is people can spend 14k if they want, and if it makes them happy. Me, I'm not even sure if I should have spent for yggy, or I should have been happy with the mimby and called it good. I guess I'll find out! Also, I agree that speakers (if some of the listening includes speakers of course) would be a better investment at that price point (14k).

I haven't heard a Mimby, but I upgraded to to Yggdrasil from a Bimby and the difference was pretty significant to my ears. The great thing about the Yggy is that for many people. it's really the best thing out there short of hitting significantly higher price points. So the temptation to upgrade further is kind of gone. I don't obsess about upgrading my DAC any more. With Yggy theres no doubt that you did well on your DAC purchase and can move on to other areas of the system if you want.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #869 of 1,366
Why has this turned into an Yggy impressions thread? 

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #870 of 1,366
  Why has this turned into an Yggy impressions thread? 

Maybe because Yggy is Torq's benchmark? 
wink.gif

Do we think that it is a good idea to start a new thread related specifically to DACs - so that everyone is welcome to join in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back