Life after Yggdrasil?
Sep 7, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #811 of 1,366

Hey Torq, have you heard of the R2R HoloAudio KitsuneTuned Edition Spring Dac: https://kitsunehifi.com/product/springdacgreen/? Seems to be getting stellar reviews vs. the Ygg with many selling their Ygg to grab the Spring. They are at the same price. The feedback is similar resolution, but the Spring makes the Ygg sound thin giving the Spring the musical edge - the Spring may have a little larger sound stage as well. This is what Kevin Gilmore who made the Blue Hawaii Amp had to say:

Kevin Gilmore quoted:
"The holo spring is the first fully compensated discrete R2R dac to come to market. The other discrete R2R units I am aware of (soekris,msb etc) do not do linearity compensation.
I think this is going to be a big deal going forward. At least until a monolithic R2R high resolution dac chip comes out. (could be a long time) It is possible, with 10nm technology, but not going to be cheap. Say $300 per channel..." 

Link to the Holo Audio Spring dac thread and Kevin's post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/810065/holo-audio-spring-r2r-dac/15#post_12826142

Tim has one that he is going to let me demo and you too if interested, but thought it would also be fun to do another group get together and see what the group consensus is on the Spring vs. the Ygg. It would also be a good excuse to hear your new Utopia as well to compare to the 4 and the Abyss.

Someone mentioned it in the "Life after Yggdrasil?" thread, but I didn't see a simple way to audition one.  However, if Tim has access to it, then we should make it part of our next shoot-out session for sure.  And make a day of it so we can get all four flagship headphones covered as well.

That'd also make it doable to add it to my all-up DAC evaluation (even if I'm really having to resist the lure of an extravagant upgrade to my turntable ...).

BTW, Josef bought one too so we have a couple in the group. We will have to start planning.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #812 of 1,366
Yeah lets make it a 5 way just for the added intrigue of it all. 
atsmile.gif

And from what little I heard of the focal HPs at the last meet, they both needed a good deal more 'settling in time'.

And an all metal diaphragm usually does take more time than other materials to 'get used to' its vibratory home.

And a dac shootout would add even more intrigue to the mix… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #815 of 1,366
No, I've not heard the Select DAC II yet.

In general, if it's not listed in [COLOR=0000FF]blue[/COLOR] in the table in the first post, then it's safe to assume I've not heard it.  Actually, that's not quite true ... it's safe to assume that I've not auditioned it (I may have heard it in non-audition-worthy circumstances).  Though, in this case, I've not heard it at all.

I'd like to say that I'm keen to.  I'd be lying, though.  That's not any lack of enthusiasm for MSB's, or anyone else's, products ... just the realities of a drawn out process with many distractions along the way.  I'm having far more fun just listening to music and tracking down some difficult-to-find LPs and looking at potential turntable upgrades than I am auditioning gear.  And the whole vinyl thing is something I just generally do not do on headphones, which complicates matters (and, of course, doesn't require a DAC anyway).

And then there's the Utopia (headphone) ...

This has me rethinking my entire headphone set-up - at least to the headphone/amp level.  Utopia doesn't need tonal shifts or color from tubes (though that's still enjoyable), and it doesn't need especially high power levels, and the notion that it can replace several of my high-end headphones has me staring down the path of simplicity ... and who knows where that winds up!

So, while I fully intend to complete my DAC auditions, and don't really want to drag that out (I'd rather get it done), I'm not even sure to what degree it's going to be relevant to me going forward.  

I understand.

One great DAC you have missed out in your list to compare is the AMR DP-777 SE, it may not be perfect, but great fun and got very nice musicality feel to it.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #816 of 1,366
  BTW, Josef bought one too so we have a couple in the group. We will have to start planning.

I'm chatting with Tim about it now, so thanks for the heads-up there!

With Josef having one, that'd potentially be easier for the group-shootout, and I'll see what I can come up with Tim for my all-up "serious" evaluation/audition.

I'll see what I can nail down in terms of my availability.  Just as I said I had a break in my schedule, I'm potentially heading over to Ireland (and probably elsewhere) for a couple of weeks.  And, as ever with these things, but I should know one way or another before the weekend is done.

Yeah lets make it a 5 way just for the added intrigue of it all. 
atsmile.gif

And from what little I heard of the focal HPs at the last meet, they both needed a good deal more 'settling in time'.

And an all metal diaphragm usually does take more time than other materials to 'get used to' its vibratory home.

And a dac shootout would add even more intrigue to the mix… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Having both headphone and DAC shootouts would certainly be interesting!  We'll have to see how much time we can get in a block to do that, as it'd certainly be more convenient than trying to find time in my schedule to do multiple sessions!

Will have to see how the Utopia fare over more time.  They're certainly getting the most head time now.  Can't say I'm noticing further differences, but they were good enough initially to completely put the cat-among-the-pigeons.  They don't need to "get better" to cause me issues! :wink:

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #817 of 1,366

I think one has to be really committed to Bryston for some of their pricing/gear to make sense.  The Bryston Pi is also overpriced even with the pretty screen (which turns off during use so it's not that pretty in practice).  Ditto, I believe, for their DACs.

How many people have to have all matching gear?

Agreed.  I'm Canadian and Bryston makes some awesome power amps, but I've always had a hard time seeing the value proposition in most of their other gear.

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #818 of 1,366
Another option for you suggested in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-rednet-3-16-review-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio/1920

Quote:
  Trying to match vinyl has always been my aim for digital, tried loads of DAC's and haven't come close. What software player are you using? And at what point in your digital system building did you reach parity with vinyl? Cheers!

I am 54
Unlike my peers at age 14 - in 1976 - I listened to rockabilly not Chart hits
In the 80s I hated CDs and all things digital
I sold all my records and Hi-Fi in 2002 because of circumstances
I bought CDs just to have access to at least Jackson Browne and a few others
Then realised that digits via a computer was a better economic *and* Hi-Fi proposition than a good CD player
So ripped my increasing CD collection
Tried USB following forums at CA
Got some satisfaction but always sub-vinyl
Then got a D16 AES reading this thread - adding a Convert-2 after a disappointing Yggy
That is when I realised that I could get as much "satisfaction" = goose bumps listening to digits compared with vinyl
Not a "match" tho' ...
You cannot get social history, ritual, handling albums, appreciation of musical evolution, recreation of memories etc with CDs/digits
And there is still an unbeatable certain kind of solidity playing vinyl compared with digits
But RedNet + Convert-2 beats LP12/Ittok/Troika in "satisfaction" = goose bumps - sheer octane thrill
And as I have explained in previous post I wouldn't spend more on vinyl front end now (well not too much!)
That was just a few weeks/months ago
I use foobar2000 with Sox upsampler (to 192k)
I love its simplicity
And absence of commercial motive
It outputs to Dante DVS beautifully
Especially with a nice PC
There is no need for anything else just playing my redbook collection
I admit my digits are convenience instances of my primary love - vinyl from 1956 to 1980
[What kind of cosmic coincidence is that - that the vinyl era 1956-1980 matches exactly the era of revolutionary and worthwhile non-classical music]
So folks who love adverts, commercial environments, new music, downloads, massively hi-res or massively oversampled music - may have different priorities
Cheers :)

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #819 of 1,366

I am 54
Unlike my peers at age 14 - in 1976 - I listened to rockabilly not Chart hits
In the 80s I hated CDs and all things digital
I sold all my records and Hi-Fi in 2002 because of circumstances
I bought CDs just to have access to at least Jackson Browne and a few others
Then realised that digits via a computer was a better economic *and* Hi-Fi proposition than a good CD player
So ripped my increasing CD collection
Tried USB following forums at CA
Got some satisfaction but always sub-vinyl
Then got a D16 AES reading this thread - adding a Convert-2 after a disappointing Yggy
That is when I realised that I could get as much "satisfaction" = goose bumps listening to digits compared with vinyl
Not a "match" tho' ...
You cannot get social history, ritual, handling albums, appreciation of musical evolution, recreation of memories etc with CDs/digits
And there is still an unbeatable certain kind of solidity playing vinyl compared with digits
But RedNet + Convert-2 beats LP12/Ittok/Troika in "satisfaction" = goose bumps - sheer octane thrill
And as I have explained in previous post I wouldn't spend more on vinyl front end now (well not too much!)
That was just a few weeks/months ago
I use foobar2000 with Sox upsampler (to 192k)
I love its simplicity
And absence of commercial motive
It outputs to Dante DVS beautifully
Especially with a nice PC
There is no need for anything else just playing my redbook collection
I admit my digits are convenience instances of my primary love - vinyl from 1956 to 1980
[What kind of cosmic coincidence is that - that the vinyl era 1956-1980 matches exactly the era of revolutionary and worthwhile non-classical music]
So folks who love adverts, commercial environments, new music, downloads, massively hi-res or massively oversampled music - may have different priorities
Cheers :)

It's a bit hard to decipher exactly what you're trying to recommend here, but my best guess is it's the Dangerous Convert 2.  And if that's the case, it's been suggested several times in this thread and I've already dismissed it (again, several times) on grounds that had nothing to do with how it sounded (as at that point I'd never heard it and didn't really want to).  You can search earlier in the thread for that.

I already run a RedNet/Dante interface, among other NAI/AOIP solutions (have, in some form or other, for years now).  The RedNet is just the most recent experiment down that particular avenue.

As it is, I'm still not looking for more DAC suggestions and my search remains on indefinite hold until I regain the enthusiasm for detailed auditioning and tear myself away from just listening to  music for the raw pleasure of it.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #820 of 1,366

It's a bit hard to decipher exactly what you're trying to recommend here, but my best guess is it's the Dangerous Convert 2.  And if that's the case, it's been suggested several times in this thread and I've already dismissed it (again, several times) on grounds that had nothing to do with how it sounded (as at that point I'd never heard it and didn't really want to).  You can search earlier in the thread for that.

I already run a RedNet/Dante interface, among other NAI/AOIP solutions (have, in some form or other, for years now).  The RedNet is just the most recent experiment down that particular avenue.

As it is, I'm still not looking for more DAC suggestions and my search remains on indefinite hold until I regain the enthusiasm for detailed auditioning and tear myself away from just listening to  music for the raw pleasure of it.

Yes as the OP switched from the Yiggy to the Dangerous Convert 2, thought you'd be interested...

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #822 of 1,366

Thanks for the post, and the interest, but as I said, it'd already been covered and dismissed (again, not on sonic grounds ... I just don't want something that looks like that in my music room).

What, no faux rock band DJ look in the music room?  Then I suppose the leopard skin wallpaper is out as well?  Sheesh, the youth these days :wink:

But now you have me curious.  I like the look of the Aqua Voce but what do you think of the aesthetics of the Mytek Brooklyn or the Exasound?

Or, as Steve Jobs might have said, which DAC is the most lickable?  On your list or off?

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #824 of 1,366
I have been thoroughly enjoying my Directstream DAC. I can't stress enough how amazing it is to have a company producing a well made and well implemented DAC and a continuous method of updating for a future-proof piece of mind. The potential is endless and the touchscreen, remote and overall build quality really puts it a step above almost anything out there.

You could definitely argue different competition being slightly better in terms of sonic performance (which I think is nearly impossible), but the fact that PS Audio has a team dedicated to a continuous effort of software upgrades speaks worlds of their consistent pursuit of betterment. You may get a neat alternative and buy whatever the flavor of the month is (currently the DAVE), but those are all going to be replaceable.. the Directstream (and even the JR for that matter) feels like something you invest in and keep forever, no matter what changes you make to your other equipment. It satisfies an itch that audiophiles would normally get after keeping something for awhile and getting tired of it.. the fact that each software/firmware update is almost like a brand new unit is an awesome thing and I appreciate the technological and out-of-the-box approach that PS Audio has.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #825 of 1,366

What, no faux rock band DJ look in the music room?  Then I suppose the leopard skin wallpaper is out as well?  Sheesh, the youth these days :wink:

But now you have me curious.  I like the look of the Aqua Voce but what do you think of the aesthetics of the Mytek Brooklyn or the Exasound?

Or, as Steve Jobs might have said, which DAC is the most lickable?  On your list or off?

That's right ... no leopard skin wallpaper and no rock band/DJ look in the music room.  Now in the studio or lab (my home lab), that's another matter ... :wink:

The Aqua stuff looks okay, no real issues there.   The exaSound is pretty basic, subdued and inoffensive.  The Mytek Brooklyn ... fussy and kind of daft and not something I'd want to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back