Life after Minidisc - iPod Classic Fiio E17 and HD650's???
Aug 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

purplemonkey

New Head-Fier
Thinking of getting a new rig for my portable audio requirements.

Would an iPod Classic 7g with a Fiio e17 amp and HD650's go well together.

Looking at the forums this seems to be a fairly common pairing but I'm concerned that the e17 is overkill as it can't bypass the iPod's dac.

Any alternative to the iPod?  People mention Cowon still, where's iRiver gone?

Been out of the scene for a long time as i previously used a Sony MZR900 and Sharp MT888 as my portable gear with sony ex71's 

Would be used strictly as portable gear with occasional use at home lounging.

Cheers guys!!!!

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 13
Do you need so much storage? Most people prefer to use a flash memory based player as these are much more durable than ones with a hard drive. How much storage do you need?  I wouldn't want to walk around with a hard drive based player.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the reply! Well I had a iPod classic 80gb on loan a couple of years ago and I loved e fact that anywhere I went I had nearly alllll my music collection wi me. Whatever mood I was in there was an album or song to find which hit the spot.

I understand what you are saying buy that the HDD issue doesn't worry me too much I think flash is only up to about what 64gb?

Maybe I hold out and see if they update the classic one final time in sept with an ssd?

In terms of the e17 should I go for one of the lower end models as it can't bypass the iPods dac?

Thanks again

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Well I had a iPod classic 80gb on loan a couple of years ago and I loved e fact that anywhere I went I had nearly alllll my music collection wi me. Whatever mood I was in there was an album or song to find which hit the spot.
I understand what you are saying buy that the HDD issue doesn't worry me too much I think flash is only up to about what 64gb?
Maybe I hold out and see if they update the classic one final time in sept with an ssd?
In terms of the e17 should I go for one of the lower end models as it can't bypass the iPods dac?
Thanks again

You could save some money by getting an E11 instead of an E17, for sure....would probably pair nicely with a Classic. 
But the HD650 is an open-backed headphone, and so probably not the best for portable use (sound leakage both in and out)....maybe best served as "use at home"  'phones. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Would an iPod Classic 7g with a Fiio e17 amp and HD650's go well together.
Looking at the forums this seems to be a fairly common pairing but I'm concerned that the e17 is overkill as it can't bypass the iPod's dac.
Been out of the scene for a long time as i previously used a Sony MZR900 and Sharp MT888 as my portable gear with sony ex71's 
Would be used strictly as portable gear with occasional use at home lounging.

The E17 is a little overkill for use with the iPod Classic, as you can not use the E17's DAC feature with the iPod.
The E11 is a better choice. Also get a Fiio L cable, connects the iPod's LOD port to the E11.
The AKG K550 (32-Ohm) might be a better choice for a headphone, it's much lower Ohms compared to the HD650 (300-Ohm)
and the AKG K550 is a closed headphone, blocks more outside noise.

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 13
I am just wondering, why do so many people use the iPod Classic? From what i have seen tons of people have it, yet most people say Cowon MP3 players have some of the best sound quality. Is it because of the storage space? Is it because it's so cheap? Is it because the looks? What is it?

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 13
They buy it since it has plenty of storage  and isn't that expensive. I wouldn't want a player with a hard drive though. I wouldn't want any ipod.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I am just wondering, why do so many people use the iPod Classic? From what i have seen tons of people have it, yet most people say Cowon MP3 players have some of the best sound quality. Is it because of the storage space? Is it because it's so cheap? Is it because the looks? What is it?

Mainly because of the user interface and Apple's aggressive marketing.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Well I had a iPod classic 80GB on loan a couple of years ago and I loved the fact that anywhere I went I had nearly all my music collection with me. Whatever mood I was in there was an album or song to find which hit the spot.
I understand what you are saying buy that the HDD issue doesn't worry me too much I think flash is only up to about what, 64GB?
Thanks again

Quote:
They buy it since it has plenty of storage and isn't that expensive. I wouldn't want a player with a hard drive though. I wouldn't want any iPod.

You can fit up to a 256GB SSD in an iPod Classic FWIW. There's a thread on SSD iPod modding here.

Quote:

Would an iPod Classic 7G with a Fiio E17 amp and HD650's go well together?

Looking at the forums this seems to be a fairly common pairing but I'm concerned that the E17 is overkill as it can't bypass the iPod's DAC.

Been out of the scene for a long time as I previously used a Sony MZ-R900 and Sharp MT888 as my portable gear, with Sony EX71's 

Would be used strictly as portable gear with occasional use at home, lounging.

Cheers guys!

If you're coming from MiniDisc, there's a big chance using an iPod + amp won't cut it SQ-wise.
iPod + iDAC + amp most certainly will, but then you could alternatively start with an audiophile DAP too.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 13
I have a 120GB 5.0g, a 160GB 7g, and a 240GB 7g.
I have a Fiio E17 also, which I use with DT990Pro.
I can say that ipod is gutless and needs an amp. The E17 doubles as a PC sound card and HP amp, so the choice is easy for. I use the Fiio LO ipod cable and the sound is good, but I like the 5.0g with Fiio E17 over the 7g with E17

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I thought the L9 cable solved this problem?

The L9 is a LOD (line out dock) cable. It allows you to bypass the amp in the iDevice, not the DAC. To bypass the DAC you would need an external DAC that's Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad certified; FiiO products do not have this certification, they say they've applied for it but were turned down by Apple. DACs that have the certification include: CLAS, Nuforce iDo, Go-DAP, etc.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

The L9 is a LOD (line out dock) cable. It allows you to bypass the amp in the iDevice, not the DAC. To bypass the DAC you would need an external DAC that's Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad certified; FiiO products do not have this certification, they say they've applied for it but were turned down by Apple. DACs that have the certification include: CLAS, Nuforce iDo, Go-DAP, etc.

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm kind of new at this. Sorry to derail the OP's topic but I have one more question. I own an E17 and some iDevices..I'm open to purchasing other players that would fit my needs..but with the E17 is there a true portable (as in on-the-go) way to take advantage of both the DAC and amp? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back