LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Aug 3, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,861 of 2,040
I've been enjoying this combo tremendously lately:
20170731_173746.jpg

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #1,863 of 2,040
Exactly, what i was wondering. I'll be getting an HE-560 soon, and really hope it will work well with the balanced cables i got from veclan :)

Are you running this in high gain mode? (v1.5 or the latest firmware?)

I'm still on fw v1.5, medium gain is more than enough for me. I've got some other really good setups but this is still one of my favorites.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,866 of 2,040
So I listened to the Geek Out V2+ directly alongside the 2A and there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in sound. The V2+ is even more mellow and thick sounding than the 2A. The 2A is more energetic and pushes details out more. The V2+ is just as detailed, but has a more shallow depth/soundstage and more relaxed sound. My buddy and I weren't expecting any difference but our jaws hit the floor when we compared them. On the BAD side, his V2+ has loose balanced jack/port now which is causing issues.

Does anyone know what it costs to get that replaced/fixed from LH Labs? He got it from Ebay.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #1,867 of 2,040
Oh did some digging and I see,

So by more thick and mellow are you implying that it's equally as detailed as the 2A but possibly not as natural,

I also can't seem to find the GO V2+ on the LH Labs webpage, is it no longer for sale

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #1,868 of 2,040
Oh did some digging and I see,

So by more thick and mellow are you implying that it's equally as detailed as the 2A but possibly not as natural,

I also can't seem to find the GO V2+ on the LH Labs webpage, is it no longer for sale

That's possibly a good way to put it, yeah. Less natural, but a really nice smooth, relaxing, beautiful listen. The 2A is the Schiit Multbibit (being more energetic and forward) of the series, if you will. I enjoy both the 2A and the V2+ thoroughly.

However, you're right, the V2+ is not available any more and the GO2PRO only seems available through a mass buy?

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #1,869 of 2,040
So I listened to the Geek Out V2+ directly alongside the 2A and there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in sound. The V2+ is even more mellow and thick sounding than the 2A. The 2A is more energetic and pushes details out more. The V2+ is just as detailed, but has a more shallow depth/soundstage and more relaxed sound. My buddy and I weren't expecting any difference but our jaws hit the floor when we compared them. On the BAD side, his V2+ has loose balanced jack/port now which is causing issues.

Does anyone know what it costs to get that replaced/fixed from LH Labs? He got it from Ebay.
Someone mentioned its balanced input wasn't working and it cost him $60.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,871 of 2,040
Larry really needs to implement a mute when switching sample rate, scares the hell out of me every time I switch to 24/96 tracks from 16/44.1 and vice versa. I see that this problem has been mentioned early last year and still no fix...

Aug 19, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #1,872 of 2,040
Has anyone hacked or set up the V2+ to have a continuous power supply so no re-charging is necessary? It's my understanding you can't charge and listen at the same time, correct?

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,873 of 2,040
Has anyone hacked or set up the V2+ to have a continuous power supply so no re-charging is necessary? It's my understanding you can't charge and listen at the same time, correct?

We really need a FAQ for this it has been asked so many times lol... You can charge and listen at the same time but the device only operates from the battery and not the external voltage, and it discharges faster than it charges, so it will eventually die off.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #1,874 of 2,040
We really need a FAQ for this it has been asked so many times lol... You can charge and listen at the same time but the device only operates from the battery and not the external voltage, and it discharges faster than it charges, so it will eventually die off.

I've been wondering about this because it takes about ~5 hours for full charge after ~8 hours of continuous playback for me, so the battery shouldn't be discharging faster than the charge rate. Either you can't charge and listen at the same time or charging is very limited during playback. I should measure the playback time while charging some time.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #1,875 of 2,040
I've been wondering about this because it takes about ~5 hours for full charge after ~8 hours of continuous playback for me, so the battery shouldn't be discharging faster than the charge rate. Either you can't charge and listen at the same time or charging is very limited during playback. I should measure the playback time while charging some time.

Yeah, I was asking because my buddy just started listening to his in-depth, texted me and told me he loved it but he hated the fact that he had to stop and recharge it. So now he's looking for other DACs or a way to hack the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back