LG V30
Jun 21, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3,511 of 6,140
Re-sampling issue of the V30??? What's that about? Never heard of that before.
You can read more about it in the second spoiler link here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Yes, I think all that crap about why they should remove the headphone jack is total BS too. When HTC did it, they said they were able to make the phone's speakers louder, but I mean, there are prob other ways to do that. And this notion that using a dongle is somehow BETTER than an audio jack is horsesh*t too. I DEF agree on the statement you made about them caring much more about picture/camera quality than audio. That's DEF the case with Samsung too, though they're much worse when it comes to audio. lol I don't care really care about using a dongle b/c I use one anyway to "trick" my V30 into Aux mode, but the idea that the MicroUSB-C to Female 3.5mm dongle is a more superior setup vs. the traditional one has no merit b/c I haven't seen anything to prove it sounds any better. I think someone said it's actually worse, though I don't know if they had anything to back that statement up either.
USB-C audio is an even bigger mess than Lightning:
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/15/17467216/usb-c-headphones-wireless-future

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #3,512 of 6,140

Oh ok. I remember that re-sampling post issue now. I even Liked it at the time. I don't really understand it though, but ok. lol I have downsampled like all of my music down to AAC (256 - 512 kbps CBR), so I guess I shouldn't have that problem right?

Yeah it's a mess. But is there any relevance to the claim that audio through the "dongle method" sounds better, or worse vs. "traditional method"?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #3,513 of 6,140
Oh ok. I remember that re-sampling post issue now. I even Liked it at the time. I don't really understand it though, but ok. lol I have downsampled like all of my music down to AAC (256 - 512 kbps CBR), so I guess I shouldn't have that problem right?
I'm afraid that won't save you, because that's just compression and those 256 VBR AAC files still expand to a 44kHz-sample rate and they have the same issue. It's only very noticeable on low volume with sensitive headphones though, so if neither of those situations apply to you, you might not even notice the problem.

Yeah it's a mess. But is there any relevance to the claim that audio through the "dongle method" sounds better, or worse vs. "traditional method"?
I'm not sure there's a unique answer to that, because the way the USB-C socket pushes out audio can vary from device-to-device.
That's the wonderful thing about standards - there's so many of them to choose from :wink:

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #3,514 of 6,140
I'm afraid that won't save you, because that's just compression and those 256 VBR AAC files still expand to a 44kHz-sample rate and they have the same issue. It's only very noticeable on low volume with sensitive headphones though, so if neither of those situations apply to you, you might not even notice the problem.

I'm not sure there's a unique answer to that, because the way the USB-C socket pushes out audio can vary from device-to-device.
That's the wonderful thing about standards - there's so many of them to choose from :wink:

I C. Well define "sensitive" headphones. lol Cuz everyone has their own definition of that. I tend to listen at medium to higher volumes (though not blazingly loud), so I guess it's not an issue for me.

I C. Ok then. Chances are, even though I have pretty strong hearing (based on listening tests I've taken), I would never in a million years notice a difference anyway. lol

Thanks!

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #3,516 of 6,140
The only time when resampling can be heard is with very low impedance earphones. Specially, during quiet passages IMHO.
No artifacts can be heard at all with 30ohm or higher impedance iem like my Earsonics Velvet VII, even on high impedance mode.
Even my 26 ohm Fostex TH900 passed with flying colors.

Nice! The Shure SRH1540s I'm currently trying out are 46 ohms, so I guess I'm in the clear! :ok_hand::L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #3,518 of 6,140
BTW
Nothing like doing it your self, sometimes

20180623_122232.jpgA9C0FEC6-BF16-4E6F-A870-FF51BA99277D.png
The coil is naked aganst the center/bottom of phone. At 5 v it is doing not even 3 watts. Should there be more gap between?
But stock it was about the same....
False claims...

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #3,521 of 6,140
Yeah looks fine to me. As long as it enables Aux, you're good!
i have some cable. i´m looking for the most ergonomic. i have the high inpedance adapter too but with my iem i prefere aux mode

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #3,522 of 6,140
i have some cable. i´m looking for the most ergonomic. i have the high inpedance adapter too but with my iem i prefere aux mode

Yeah with IEMs, since they tend to be VERY low impedance, I think Aux is better anyway. So again, if you're able to achieve enabling "Aux" mode with this new cable, then you are good to go!

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #3,523 of 6,140
The high impedance mod from the V20 still works with the V30, as long as you rooted, correct?

I know some argue that if you don't have high impedance headphone you don't need high impedance mode, and that probably generally true, but I have planar headphone that are less than 50 ohms but greatly benefit from the increased output.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #3,524 of 6,140
The high impedance mod from the V20 still works with the V30, as long as you rooted, correct?

I know some argue that if you don't have high impedance headphone you don't need high impedance mode, and that probably generally true, but I have planar headphone that are less than 50 ohms but greatly benefit from the increased output.

Same. The iSine 10 sound eons better on high-impedance mode.

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #3,525 of 6,140
Has anyone used an external headphone amp with the V30 ?
the reason I ask is Im getting a pair ZMF classics and if the V30 isn't powerful enough to push them , Ill need some options for sure
Even if I have to go dac/amp
hopefully I wont need to but its good to see what others have done or doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back