LG V30
Nov 7, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,156 of 6,140
I like the phone's screen and it takes nice pictures.

Sorry, I just had to add something aside from this insane cavalcade of technobabble and sample rates.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,158 of 6,140
I'm not an audiophile, just a long time music lover and my reason to have owned the LG V10, LG V20 and now own the LG V30 was due to them being excellent smartphones which also has the ability to produce great audio.
I find the LG V30 to be the best all around smartphone for me, since being an audio/video/photo content creator.

I purchased a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohms headphones especially to pair up with the LG V30...finally enjoying the sound output in high impedance mode from the Quad Hifi DAC/Amp!

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #1,159 of 6,140
Whoops! Apologies to Neutron, @jtfrazier and thanks to @artpiggo !

Redbook FLAC (yes, the input track really was 44 kHz & 16 bit):

But, the bad news...
DSD (DoP disabled - DoP enabled gives no output):

96/24 PSM:

Still, it's interesting. If one could somehow fake a 24/44 stream by adding to the bit depth of a redbook FLAC file, it seems one could avoid up-sampling.

Really appreciate these tests, will definitely be checking this app out now. My apologies to @jtfrazier and anyone else I offended with my skepticism in requesting the debug data. But this information is good to know.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #1,160 of 6,140
Could you try enable Follow the frequency in Audio Hardware in Neutron setting?

Woohoo! @artpiggo I owe you a beer and some pad thai noodles at the next CanJam! :) Yes, I now have Neutron playing all PCM formats correctly (no up-sampling or down-sampling). It seems to be padding the bit depth of 44/16 tracks to 44/24, but I'm ok with that. The artifacts I was hearing with the LG music app for 44/16 FLAC are gone.

The DoP option doesn't work (no sound output), but with that option off it still looks like it's doing similar DoP tricks to that of the LG music app...
DSD:

Output thread 0xe4d73000 type 1 (DIRECT):
Thread name: AudioOut_1D5
I/O handle: 469
TID: 11019
Standby: no
Sample rate: 176400 Hz
HAL frame count: 7072
HAL format: 0x6 (pcm24)
HAL buffer size: 42432 bytes
Channel count: 2
Channel mask: 0x00000003 (front-left, front-right)
Processing format: 0x6 (pcm24)
Processing frame size: 6 bytes
Pending config events: none
Output device: 0x8 (WIRED_HEADPHONE)

96/24 PCM:

Output thread 0xe4d58000 type 1 (DIRECT):
Thread name: AudioOut_1DD
I/O handle: 477
TID: 11300
Sample rate: 96000 Hz
HAL frame count: 3840
HAL buffer size: 23040 bytes

192/24 PCM:

Output thread 0xe53d7000 type 1 (DIRECT):
Thread name: AudioOut_1E5
I/O handle: 485
TID: 11462
Sample rate: 192000 Hz
HAL frame count: 7680
HAL buffer size: 46080 bytes

And of course, 44/16 PCM:

Output thread 0xe692f000 type 1 (DIRECT):
Thread name: AudioOut_1ED
I/O handle: 493
TID: 11511
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
HAL frame count: 1792
HAL buffer size: 10752 bytes

Thanks for all the help with this. You guys rock :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #1,161 of 6,140
Now that it worked. I would like to apologize and excuse me for discussing too much on resampling topic.

Let's get back to usual impression thread on LG V30 Quad DAC. :smile_phones:

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,162 of 6,140
Has anyone tried comparing the audio quality between the v30 and say the s8? There are some non audio features that i like about the s8 more. However I am undecided about whether the v30 audio is significantly better if I plan to use efficient IEMs (campfire Lyra II, shure 535, noble k10).

Any input would be appreciated!

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #1,164 of 6,140
Has anyone tried comparing the audio quality between the v30 and say the s8? There are some non audio features that i like about the s8 more. However I am undecided about whether the v30 audio is significantly better if I plan to use efficient IEMs (campfire Lyra II, shure 535, noble k10).

Any input would be appreciated!
US versions of the S8 only use the on-board DAC of the SD835. SQ is ok, at best.

V30 SQ is second to none. Specially with the high-end IEMs you listed. Using my iSine 10s with this phone is pure bliss.

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,165 of 6,140
US versions of the S8 only use the on-board DAC of the SD835. SQ is ok, at best.

V30 SQ is second to none. Specially with the high-end IEMs you listed. Using my iSine 10s with this phone is pure bliss.

Ah yes...that was another thing i was thinking about as i am waffling between the V30 and the Note 8. IMHO the new note is too damn big, yet it has that enticing pen i do use...but as for as sound portion my question is if i use efficient headphones it should be able to drive them through the N8 as well as the V30 does. However, can anyone attest the overall SQ is definitely not in the same league regardless of volume level?

Also, another headphone check--how does the V30 sound with planars...like the Audeze LCD-X or wallet-crunching HIFIMAN HE1000v2 for instance? :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,166 of 6,140
Hello,

I've been checking around for an upgrade over my current cellphone;a good sound out of jack being a big plus for me.

Other phone qualities aside,is the LG G6 (Quad DAC version) rather similar to V30 in SQ? I've checked latest pages but i've only seen comparisons with other brands.

Cheers

Nov 8, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,167 of 6,140
I needed to upgrade from my worn out iphone5. I liked having the headphone jack for IEM and full size hf 400i. I like being able to switch back and forth, too. Also a bit overwhelmed with increasing things that must be kept charged as well as the present limitations of bluetooth. My smartphone in a sense is like selecting the right swiss army knife/multi-tool. The V30 having the headphone jack and claims of better quality sound and a little more power certainly caught my attention. Along with the wide angle lens and photo/video flexibility, screen size/percentage, overall construction, storage card capable, ect. I also think there is an advantage with the v30 being light in weight as well a good construction, when accidentally dropped. The over $500. cost to replace the back glass when damaged on the new iphone x is getting to be something worth considering. The sound coming out of my V30 is much better for me personally and much more comfortable to listen to during longer sessions. I also listen to things like podcasts, webinars etc. where signal strength/quality can be very low, while with age and past work exposure my hearing isn't what it used to be. I've added a fiio A5 too add a little boost when needed. And also find I sometimes with some music prefer what is coming out of the combination.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,168 of 6,140
Slightly off subject...but still pertinent. Lookin for a good album to test on the V30? Believe it or not the latest Pink release Beautiful Trauma recording quality blew me away. Simply impeccable--especially the HD Tracks version. Try 'But We Lost It' or the 'Barbies' to see what i mean--damn good songs too!

Nov 8, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,169 of 6,140
FYI to update anyone just joining the party that may be wondering about tricking the phone into high impedance mode. If you have bought a Trinity audio product in the last few years, they have included in some of their packaging a right angle adapter, and they can also be purchased separately. This is what I use.

There are a couple of things that can be done with such an adapter. You can either insert it alone first to turn on external mode, which bumps up the power enough for most of my low impedance/high efficiency cans (ie Philips L2) to get the extra volume I am looking for. If your can has detachable cables, this can also be accomplished by unplugging the cable first, insert into phone, then attach to can.

The other thing I do is insert it already attached to a high impedance can to enable the mode, unplug that set, then plug in whatever I feel needs the highest power setting to sound right. In my case, it is my low impedance/low efficiency E-Mu Teaks (Fostex variant similar to the Massdrop variants, and I would imagine most planars would be the same) to get them to the volume I need to enjoy them with this phone, because they otherwise only trigger the lowest power mode. They are easily driven to sufficient power and sound great with the V30, nice punch and slam, also rumble. It's really fantastic to get this out of my phone, it simplifies life so much.

I know there are other ways to do this, but I have found that this adapter makes it really easy to do while also making the cable more manageable in most situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back