LG V30
Nov 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,037 of 6,140
Well, isn't this a beautifully crafted thing. Must say I am very impressed with the quality of it, my only previous experience of LG phones is my wife's Nexus 5x which I always thought felt a bit Fischer Price.

Only part way through the setting up so not had much time to play yet, but first impressions of the screen are good. No obvious issues yet and looks pretty natural, being a photographer the over saturation of sammy screens just winds me up, but each to their own.

The B&O headphones lasted 2 minutes before they went back in the box though......

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,038 of 6,140
Is chrome and and Google launcher running really poorly for anyone else right now?

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,039 of 6,140
It's important to have good, honest discussions about these products. And I think we have. It does lack fine-grained EQ. For those that consider these kind of DSP effects essential, I'd suggest waiting for the unlocked version, rooting and installing Viper4Android.
Thats what I said. The dsp effects is a baby version of v4a.

This makes the decision of spending $800 bucks to upgrade to v30 from a rooted v20 more difficult as the sound isn't a big upgrade or huge difference imho.

On the other hand, I'm listening to Meizu pro 5 now. It's making me curious about the Meizu pro 7 plus where they switched from ESS to Cirrus Logic CS43130 https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs43130/ ...... :scream: :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,040 of 6,140
Thats what I said. The dsp effects is a baby version of v4a.

This makes the decision of spending $800 bucks to upgrade to v30 from a rooted v20 more difficult as the sound isn't a big upgrade or huge difference imho.

On the other hand, I'm listening to Meizu pro 5 now. It's making me curious about the Meizu pro 7 plus where they switched from ESS to Cirrus Logic CS43130 https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs43130/ ...... :scream: :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

From the Android Authority review of the Plus version

There’s also 32-bit Hi-Fi audio through the 3.5mm headphone jack. It has a Cirrus Logic CS43130 DAC + AMP combo, which is the exact same chip that’s in the Galaxy S8. Audio output through the headphone jack is loud and clear, as we expected.

The S8 does not sound all that great from the headphone jack, so maybe the new DAC is a step back from the ESS implementation. Who knows, just a tidbit of info

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,041 of 6,140
That's not necessarily true. A Cowon Plenue P1 is $399 right now and it makes the V30 sound like a tin can and the V30 is around what? $800?
One is a phone one is a dedicated music player and there is nothing tin can sounding about the v30 unless you have a tin can headphone. It's kinda sad looking at your list that you own a pair of z1rs but have a complete crap listing of other Sony crap headphones. Does the v30 not bring out the best of sonys crap bass response headphones ? Im sorry. Maybe try beats next ?

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #1,042 of 6,140
From this article about Android security:http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-ten-best-ways-to-secure-your-android-phone/ :

I recently got a Google Pixel 2. There were many reasons for this, but number one with a bullet was that Google makes sure its smartphones, such as the Pixel, the Pixel 2, Nexus 5X, and 6P get the freshest updates. This means they get the newest security patches as they're released.

As for other major vendors, Android Authority, the leading Android publication, found, the best vendors for keeping their phones up to date were, in order, from best to worse: LG, Motorola, HTC, Sony, Xiaomi, OnePlus, and Samsung.

I have to say my previous experience with updates for my Samsung phones (S7 Edge and S8) wasn't too shabby. According to Android Authority, the V30's update schedule should be even better :)

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,043 of 6,140
Is this phone supposed to come with a set of B&O headphones? I got mine directly from T-mobile new and mine did not. Unless they're hiding in the box somewhere.

I think all US versions doesn't have B&O headphone. So, TMobile doesn't have.

If you have a >$150 headphone, then don't bother with B&O. From my experience with LG V20, the bought both US version and Korean version, Korean version has B&O headphone, but LG also tuned the sound signature of Korean V20 to adapt to B&O phone. So that if you use your own headphone, especially if you have a good headphone, then this is a problem. This special sound signature may cause your own headphone to sound worse.

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #1,044 of 6,140
So, how do I get bit perfect playback of my 24/192 flac files in anything other than the LG music player? All the other players only see the DAC as a 16/48khz device...is the LG Music player the only one capable of bit perfect playback on this phone?

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #1,045 of 6,140
That's because the V30 doesn't have a ten band parametric equalizer nor a Burr Brown Dac. The point is there are better sounding DAPs for half the price.

V30's sound is certainly much better than almost all main stream phones, including Samsung phones, iPhones, Moto phones, Huawei Phones... ...

But I agree, this doesn't mean V30 is THE BEST sounding phone, or DAP.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,046 of 6,140
So, how do I get bit perfect playback of my 24/192 flac files in anything other than the LG music player? All the other players only see the DAC as a 16/48khz device...is the LG Music player the only one capable of bit perfect playback on this phone?

That's the only choice right now, unless you want to send the bit perfect signal to an external DAC. In that case you can use the UAPP app. But then what would be the point of having a V30?

After the V30 is updated to Oreo, the Tidal app may be updated to support MQA on mobile. Or not.

Nov 3, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #1,047 of 6,140
It is my understanding that the stock LG player utilizes the Sabre DAC. The other apps on the play store downsample.

Nov 3, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #1,048 of 6,140
Did LG neuter the V30 yet again? Why dont they make that awesome DAC available to any app...what's the point? Did anyone guinea pig the DAC FIx for LG V10 (google play) on the V30 yet? I was considering this phone and using Hiby to play my files the stock music player can't...but not if they screwed with it again. I am hoping to replace a dedicated DAP with this but this limitation will never allow that to happen due to lack of file types to play my hi-res DSD files. Any compression or resampling would be instantly noticed.

Kamerton appears to bypass the android limit garbage judging by my tests on an older phone...but boy is it a clunky app!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #1,049 of 6,140
S8 does not sound all that great from the headphone jack, so maybe the new DAC is a step back from the ESS implementation. Who knows, just a tidbit of info
This makes the decision of spending $800 bucks to upgrade to v30 from a rooted v20 more difficult as the sound isn't a big upgrade or huge difference imho. On the other hand, I'm listening to Meizu pro 5 now. It's making me curious about the Meizu pro 7 plus where they switched from ESS to Cirrus Logic CS43130 https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs43130/ ...... :scream: :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Meizu's product series are not consistent. The best sounding ones are Meizu MX4, Pro 5. All later ones are not as good.
Don't expect newer product is always better than previous product. Apple now don't have any DAC at all, as one example.

From my experience, DAC for mobile phones, ESS is the best. Qualcomm, Wolfson, Cirrus Logic - gap between ESS is large and obvious.

ESS9218 DAC with integrated opamp - I am really not a fan of this solution. If using really good opamp design, V30 can sound even better. There is no perfect world, still Love my V30.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,050 of 6,140
I've been doing a lot of research and i think i've come to the conclusion that any hi-res audio played over the android (phone) platform through the headphone jack is going to be neutered to Android's 16bit 48khz limit. It doesn't matter if it's LG's built in music app or Hiby--and I dont care about outputting though USB as i already have the awesome exasound DAC. If i play the same material over my Calyx M (criminally underrated DAP as it has a full audiophile 9018 DAC inside), there's no comparison--DSD and hi-res FLAC sound much better than through my LG V10. I think that's why the Android DAPs are so popular since they offer the convenience of the OS but somehow bypass the stupid bitrate limit. Never will get bitperfect audio through an Android phone no matter what the DAC through the headphone jack.

Is that a pretty accurate assessment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back