LG V30
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #1,021 of 6,140
Is this phone supposed to come with a set of B&O headphones? I got mine directly from T-mobile new and mine did not. Unless they're hiding in the box somewhere.

Here in the U.S., none of the carriers have headphones included.
The only version that does is the V30+ from Sprint and. U.S. Cellular.

In my opinion, headphones should be included with all top tier phones.
T-mobile could have at least included the additional USB-C to USB-C cable like Verizon did.
I guess we get what we pay for...less cost, but get less.

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #1,023 of 6,140
Even against a Chord Dave, the V30 doesn't sound like a tin can. If yours really sounds like a tin can, something's wrong with your V30 and you should return it for a refund or replacement.
That's because the V30 doesn't have a ten band parametric equalizer nor a Burr Brown Dac. The point is there are better sounding DAPs for half the price.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #1,024 of 6,140
That's because the V30 doesn't have a ten band parametric equalizer nor a Burr Brown Dac. The point is there are better sounding DAPs for half the price.
You may have been a bit harsh, a better way may be to say something similar to, to my ears it sounds like a tin can.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #1,025 of 6,140

Have you actually heard the V30? Your tin can statement was truly one of the silliest I've seen on headfi. There is a significant difference between your personal preferences and objective fact.

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #1,026 of 6,140
You may have been a bit harsh, a better way may be to say something similar to, to my ears it sounds like a tin can.

And yes, I've heard the V30, my friend has one. I won't buy it because I'm used to far superior screens of Samsung and that's the most important part of a smart phone to me personally, since I get my audiophile kick out of dedicated hi fi sources and the screen on the LG30 after an S8+ or the Note 8 is mediocre at best. I hope you weren't offended by my response, I apologize in advance if it was too harsh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 3, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #1,027 of 6,140
You sound super objective. Let's hear some more about the superior products you own!

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #1,028 of 6,140
Oops, just bought one. However just missed the one they had in stock and need to wait for tomorrows delivery before I can go pick it up.

Guess I better start thinking of what cans to replace my bluetooth set with for commuting.
I going to pull the trigger on some B&W PXs just waiting on a firmware fix

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #1,030 of 6,140
It's important to have good, honest discussions about these products. And I think we have. If you go back through the pages on this thread, we have discussed good and bad points of the V30 - including not-so-good aspects of its sound. It does lack fine-grained EQ. For those that consider these kind of DSP effects essential, I'd suggest waiting for the unlocked version, rooting and installing Viper4Android.

I'm really trying hard not to just be a fanboy here, but the idea that the P1 makes the V30 sound like a tin can is nothing at all like my experience, and would seem to suggest a faulty or defective V30. The cheapest DAP I've heard that has a meaningful boost in SQ over the V30 is the QP1R. I don't know exactly what the QP1R sells for these days, but it must be around $800. And the QP1R is only a stand-alone DAP - it has no streaming or 3rd party app capabilities.

The V30 has far exceeded my expectations with regard to its sound. I just expected it to sound better than most other phones. It actually ended up sounding better than most of my other DAPs. There are people on this thread that sold their Hugo 2 after purchasing a V30!! I've not (yet!) sold my H2, but I don't think that idea is nuts at all. The V30 has phenomenal treble extension, insane soundstage width and enough power to drive every can I own with plenty of headroom to spare. It certainly has its faults, but the V30 isn't a tin can.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,031 of 6,140
This phone is ****ing amazing in terms of sound quality. I love how you can turn on/off the quad dac with the touch of a button. Significant difference in sound quality going off to on. How can anyone say dac quality makes no difference? This phone is a perfect showcase in how much of a difference a good quality dac makes!

What digital filter setting are you guys using? Short, sharp or slow? Sharp says it "produces a more natural sound." is that the go to setting if you're looking for a more natural, un-altered sound?

Also, any issues with the Tidal app in streaming FLAC/Master tracks? I think I remember reading the phone may apply downsampling if not using the native LG music player app?

MQA only works with stock music app at moment. That is the only app at moment that bypasses the android sample rate converter that converts everything to 16 bit 48 KHz sample rate. MQA requires 24 bit 44.1 KHz or 24 bit 48 KHz sample rate to be able to unfold the audio origami that takes the sample rate up to as high as 24 bit 384 KHz sample rate depending on the original sample rate of the music as recorded in the studio. Files recorded at multiples of 44.1 KHz use 24 bit 44.1 KHz & files recorded at multiples of 48 KHz use 24 bit 48 KHz to pack the origami.

I would not worry too much about the MQA thing myself & a friend of mine who was a major player in the audio business for fifty years have conducted tests with MQA vs CD quality & they null perfectly as did all the hires filed to CD quality. Hires is much adoo about nothing. No difference inside the audio band.

Concerning the filter choices sharp produces the flatest response. All other roll off the top frequencies to one extent or anouther.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #1,032 of 6,140
It's important to have good, honest discussions about these products. And I think we have. If you go back through the pages on this thread, we have discussed good and bad points of the V30 - including not-so-good aspects of its sound. It does lack fine-grained EQ. For those that consider these kind of DSP effects essential, I'd suggest waiting for the unlocked version, rooting and installing Viper4Android.

I'm really trying hard not to just be a fanboy here, but the idea that the P1 makes the V30 sound like a tin can is nothing at all like my experience, and would seem to suggest a faulty or defective V30. The cheapest DAP I've heard that has a meaningful boost in SQ over the V30 is the QP1R. I don't know exactly what the QP1R sells for these days, but it must be around $800. And the QP1R is only a stand-alone DAP - it has no streaming or 3rd party app capabilities.

The V30 has far exceeded my expectations with regard to its sound. I just expected it to sound better than most other phones. It actually ended up sounding better than most of my other DAPs. There are people on this thread that sold their Hugo 2 after purchasing a V30!! I've not (yet!) sold my H2, but I don't think that idea is nuts at all. The V30 has phenomenal treble extension, insane soundstage width and enough power to drive every can I own with plenty of headroom to spare. It certainly has its faults, but the V30 isn't a tin can.

I agree. I am not a v30 fanboy, and I dont have it. I use cmx1. But I dare say v30 sq is way beyond many dap. P1 is definitely not a match. Like csglinux, I also agree, only qp1r dap is a serious match for v30 and the only standalone DAP I find worth buying over v30. Most of them is not so much worth it if you count cost and functionality ratio.

Nov 3, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #1,033 of 6,140
I agree. I am not a v30 fanboy, and I dont have it. I use cmx1. But I dare say v30 sq is way beyond many dap. P1 is definitely not a match. Like csglinux, I also agree, only qp1r dap is a serious match for v30 and the only standalone DAP I find worth buying over v30. Most of them is not so much worth it if you count cost and functionality ratio.
I'm not sure how you can say that when you don't own a V30 but I do agree that it is a very good sounding DAC. My reference dap is the Opus 2.

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #1,035 of 6,140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back