LG V30
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #931 of 6,140
That review very much sums up my feelings about this phone. I have not put it down since getting it. The screen is fantastic, with the only annoying part being the color shift at angled views, which I really don't care about. I actually can't stand the screen ratio of Samsungs, the phones are just too tall and annoying to hold. Everything else is either equal or better than Sammy IMO.

On another note, has anyone else noticed that Netflix HDR content is not displaying right? It has a brown/greenish tint and crushes all dark content badly. It's a mobile issue that also displays on my buddies Note 8. I'm guessing there is a codec support issue for mobile HDR. It's too bad because HDR on YT looks amazing.

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #933 of 6,140
Oct 30, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #934 of 6,140
Call me old-fashioned, but I'd like a nice, simple leather pouch for my V30. The plainer, the better. Any ideas, anyone?

Also just ordered some Audio Technica ATH-E70s to go with it. :smile_phones:

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #935 of 6,140
I actually can't stand the screen ratio of Samsungs, the phones are just too tall and annoying to hold.

I can already predict phone design going back to lower ratios than 2:1 and the end of these rounded edges, because these are all marketing gimmicks which are ergonomy DISASTERS.
The forced us into wider screens for tv/internet browsing and they go the opposite direction for smartphones, what a stupidity it is for browsing or handling...
Same thing for rounded borderless screens, it makes handling more slippery and forces engineers to program the software to ignore finger touches on the borders, which is just counterproductive... Unless they're 1cm wide, bezels DO have a function on a tactile screen, which is to handle the item WITHOUT touching the screen!

When I look at my LG V10, it is quite an ergonomic phone, all in all.

Phone industry has come to its lower innovation point ever, with differentiation being driven exclusively through looks and basic additive design, and not through functions or value for the end user.
Most people have become brainless monkeys that can't think for 2 minutes and buy strictly based on looks.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #936 of 6,140
Nah, I think the bezels on the V30 are perfect. The border touches are largely a Samsung problem because of their curved edges. I feel like the V30 is perfect ergonomically. If you don't like it, put a case on it! I have a DBrand skin to protect the back glass from scratches, but also have case that can fit with the skin still on, so I can use it both ways without worrying about that back glass getting ruined. I had held back from the V10/V20 because I thought they were just too bulky and I wanted waterproof. I cared more about that than removable battery because I always have a charger where I am and battery packs are cheap. I also love the screens now, even with the rounded edges. It has not bothered me at all moving from an old-school screen.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #937 of 6,140
Here's my favorite case (so far) for the V30:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07526JL21

I used to really like the urethane wraps, like InvisibleShield. IQShield sell something like this for the V30, but it looks really clunky - rather than one piece that wraps around the edges, you have to try to stick one piece on the back and then several little pieces all around the edges. I'd give them two weeks before they all start peeling up. Plan B, which also offers better drop protection, is a thin, clear TPU case. A lot of these cases claim to be thin, but are actually fairly chunky and add a noticeable amount to the width of the phone, which can make it more awkward to use with one hand. The above case is the thinnest TPU case I've found so far. But please let me know if anybody finds something even thinner!

P.S. The sound of this thing hasn't yet lost its wow factor on me. It stacks up much better than I would have expected against my existing DAPs.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #938 of 6,140
Here's my favorite case (so far) for the V30:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07526JL21

I used to really like the urethane wraps, like InvisibleShield. IQShield sell something like this for the V30, but it looks really clunky - rather than one piece that wraps around the edges, you have to try to stick one piece on the back and then several little pieces all around the edges. I'd give them two weeks before they all start peeling up. Plan B, which also offers better drop protection, is a thin, clear TPU case. A lot of these cases claim to be thin, but are actually fairly chunky and add a noticeable amount to the width of the phone, which can make it more awkward to use with one hand. The above case is the thinnest TPU case I've found so far. But please let me know if anybody finds something even thinner!

P.S. The sound of this thing hasn't yet lost its wow factor on me. It stacks up much better than I would have expected against my existing DAPs.
This TPU case is awesome and very slim. I'm using this one
https://m.ebay.com/itm/For-LG-V30-U...942705?varId=423091119275&txnId=1856044145002

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #939 of 6,140
That's almost an exact copy of the Ringke case I'm using. Probably not as slim as the clear one posted above, but I wanted something a big more protective.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #940 of 6,140
https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v30-review-797089/

Another Editor's Choice. Nice. Seems quality will out, one way or another.

"LG’s goal with the V series has always been to provide a photo, video, and audio experience that is unparalleled by any other smartphone. Not only does it beautifully tick all those boxes, it’s also wrapped up in one sleek package. The design is gorgeous and even greater to hold, and the display is quite the attention grabber. The LG V30 justifies its price tag and is easily a top contender for smartphone of the year. If you haven’t paid attention to the LG V series of smartphones, this is one year you definitely should."

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #942 of 6,140
heres another case for you guys to consider. raised bezel all around and has covers for the headphone jack and usb port

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07351MMDP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this case but in Smoked Black...minimal with nice amount of protection on top, bottom and corners.
Covers for both the headphone jack and USB openings...this could be a positive or a negative based on your personal usage.

I also own the Spigen Liquid Crystal Case which is a bit more protective, but thicker all around.

These are the cases I own for the V30:

Spigen Liquid Crystal (Clear)
Spigen Rugged Armor (Black)
Ringke Fusion (Smoked Black)
UAG [Urban Armor Gear] PLASMA ICE

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #943 of 6,140
Well, that goes without saying. Few manufacturers even try to compete in the audio department even fewer come close to the LG V series. Having said that my Note 8 still using the Snapdragon DAC but the AMP is a step up from from the S7 and better than most other devices. It far better than my LG G5 or Nexus 6P (those are bottom of the barrel). It's good anough that if I had to use it on the go I'd be fine.

Correct!

That's a valid option. Audio is important to me, but not the only consideration because I have a couple of DAPs and two phone with better audio than most other spartphones (V20 and Axon 7).
Also I carry two phone (personal & business) so I can choose both a Note 8 and V30 (V30 eventually) :wink:

Samsung is more saturated, which I like, but I also think it a better overall display. Still I'm find with LG's display and that alone is not what would cause me to choose one over the other.

THIS!!!... As someone that like to stream music when out and about or at the gym, THIS is what makes a smartphone with good audio and more attractive choice than a stand alone DAP.

I found the S8 (EU) sounds better than the DragonFly Red: more details and better separation of instrument. Tried with the IE800s and Xelento. I returned the DFR back.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #944 of 6,140
You keep bashing "Sammy" rather unfairly. As a complete package an S8+ and the note 8 are better in every way but the sound quality and maybe a wider angle secondary lens w/o image stabilization. But design wise and most importantly in smart phone screen wise, Samsung is about 4 years ahead of their lifeless, pathetically tinted pOLED's. LG built Pixel and the V30 look like grandma's television set next to Sammy's amoled HDR enabled masterpieces. Combine that with every single feature you might want and it's not that close. Also I can't believe it's the case now but LG's UI is inferior to the new " TouchWiz". Sammy came a long way and is now the faraway king of Android hardware. Those accidental touches are on early bezel less units like the S6 edge.

Nah, I think the bezels on the V30 are perfect. The border touches are largely a Samsung problem because of their curved edges. I feel like the V30 is perfect ergonomically. If you don't like it, put a case on it! I have a DBrand skin to protect the back glass from scratches, but also have case that can fit with the skin still on, so I can use it both ways without worrying about that back glass getting ruined. I had held back from the V10/V20 because I thought they were just too bulky and I wanted waterproof. I cared more about that than removable battery because I always have a charger where I am and battery packs are cheap. I also love the screens now, even with the rounded edges. It has not bothered me at all moving from an old-school screen.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #945 of 6,140
I found the S8 (EU) sounds better than the DragonFly Red: more details and better separation of instrument. Tried with the IE800s and Xelento. I returned the DFR back.

Have Dragonfly Red and S8+ (Exynos), also previously used Mojo, HA2SE, Hugo2, ZX2 and currently a Sony ZX300. Have to totally disagree, the Dragonfly Red is better in everyway to an S8 phone. In fact, only devices I've listened to that sound better than DFR is the Mojo, Hugo2 and ZX300 over balanced.

The S8+ is decent for a phone if you don't need a lot of power and not using sensitive IEM's that reveal its background hiss. I chose to use an S8+ phone with DFR rather than go for the LG V30. Couldn't pay £800 for a phone that has screen issues. May consider trying one in 6mths time when price falls.

No problem with Samsung curves if used in a case as I do. Can have issues if not in case I find.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back