LG V30
Oct 27, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #857 of 6,140
Just seems to be a thing LG does now and again. I had a G4, v20, G6, and v30, my other three all had the issue. The v30 seems fine so far.

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #858 of 6,140
I'm on my fourth LG smartphone and never had any issues regarding the headphone jack.
LG G4, LG V10, LG V20 & LG V30.

I hope that whatever issue there is, it gets resolved ASAP!
G2, Flex 2, and Nexus 5x, never had any issues either.

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #859 of 6,140
If LG ever fixes this problem I will buy this phone again. I'm going to miss this sound :frowning2: Can anyone suggest an alternative in the meantime? Is the dragonfly red my only option in terms of portability? Also does it sound as good as this?

Maybe look into a V20 for the meantime. It can be found for less than $300 currently. It may hit a new low during Black Friday (right around the corner).

I got mine for $310 a few months back mainly for the DAC and it's really good. When I, hopefully, get the V30 the V20 will serve as a backup phone, Android streaming DAP and transport for my iFi iDSD BL.

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #860 of 6,140
Continue from my quest for finding a replacement for my Meizu Pro 5 hifi phone (a 2015 product, same CPU as Samsung S6, ESS 9018 DAC)

Now I have tried LG V30 phone. And I will settle with it.
Pros:
+ Great screen
+ Great design
+ Camera is superb for both photo and video

But sound wise, Meizu Pro 5 is still better. After looking around for 2 years, I have tried LG G5, G6, V20, all Samsung phones, Vivo XPlay 6, ... I could not find a single phone has same or better sound than Meizu Pro 5. So, OK, I give up. Because of all the great things, great user experience of LG V30, I will keep it as daily phone. And use Meizu Pro 5 from time to time as HiFi enjoyment.

What's the difference?
I have compared LG V20 and Meizu Pro 5 in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-190#post-13698008
Now I don't have LG V20 anymore, I cannot compare directly LG V20 vs. V30. I can only compare LG V30 vs. Meizu Pro 5:
First, I like V30 exposed 3 different filter settings, they do sound different. I believe this changes delta-sigma DAC's internal filter, pure software running on the phone's CPU cannot achieve the same thing.
But what ever filter, and sound profile I use, LG V30 cannot achieve the same level of naturalness, realism of the Meizu Pro 5. I am using Weston UM Pro 50 headphone. Now it takes me less than 5 seconds in blind A/B test to spot which phone is which. The gap is obvious.
'Naturalness, Realism':
I mean, when listening to Meizu Pro 5, the music just flows to me, my brain can be fully relaxed, and just enjoy the music. All instruments, vocal are real. My brain doesn't need to do any work to identify what is what, music just flows.
With LG V30 (also LG V20, and other phones), what I hear is not music, I hear 'incomplete information', there are holes, gaps in the realism. So my brain need to constantly keep alert, keep processing information, to turn them in to music. The music doesn't flow to me, instead, my brain need to do hard work to put pieces of information together to make sense of them.

However, except Meizu Pro 5, LG V30 (and LG V20) are the best phones I have heard, better than all others (that I have tried).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #862 of 6,140
However, except Meizu Pro 5, LG V30 (and LG V20) are the best phones I have heard, better than all others.
Very black-or-white statement.
I personnaly prefer the V10 to the Meizu Pro5, despite the similar DAC.
V10 has slightly more bass and treble are a bit less harsh than on Pro5, but it is not night and day either.

V20 was less my cup of tea, a bit analytical versus V10.

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #863 of 6,140
Whenever anyone tries to describe anything audio related as "I can just relax" or "the music just flows" I admit I completely disregard everything. That's like trying to review a movie by doing "it made my eyes feel good."

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #866 of 6,140
His brain...:ksc75smile: its all subejective

Its crazy what each set of ears will percieve one as good or better than the other.

Tests have actually shown a lot of people preferring low bitrate music, which makes sense because it can mean the edges are sanded off, making it easier to turn up loud without it turning sharp.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #867 of 6,140
P.S. Seems like ESS es9018k2m DAC and Texas Instruments OPA1612 op-amp? Wonder why that beat the V30 for audio quality?

I had a headphone amp once that allowed Op-amp rolling. Some of the Op-amps were significantly different in signature. Made me think you'd have to be pretty lucky to get exactly what you wanted in an amp that didn't allow those choices.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #868 of 6,140
I had a headphone amp once that allowed Op-amp rolling. Some of the Op-amps were significantly different in signature. Made me think you'd have to be pretty lucky to get exactly what you wanted in an amp that didn't allow those choices.

For sure.
His brain...:ksc75smile: its all subejective

I suppose the wonderful thing about this world is all our brains are subjective :wink: Let's hope we get more choice in this regard in the future. I'd also love to see a decent hifi DAC and amp in the S9. I'd also like to see Cayin, FiiO, Shanling, etc., starting to add SIM cards to their DAPs :)

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #869 of 6,140
TBH I'm going to be surprised if the S9 has a 3.5mm at all, let alone a good one. If Apple and the Pixel start to chip into Samsung's market share, you can bet the headphone jack is going bye-bye.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #870 of 6,140
Very black-or-white statement.
I personnaly prefer the V10 to the Meizu Pro5, despite the similar DAC.
V10 has slightly more bass and treble are a bit less harsh than on Pro5, but it is not night and day either.
V20 was less my cup of tea, a bit analytical versus V10.

my bad, I should say "LG V30 is better than all other phones that I have tried"
I haven't tried LG V10, regret, maybe I should try it.
“V20 was less my cup of tea, a bit analytical versus V10” - exactly I feel the same for V20 vs. Meizu Pro 5: V20 is analytical.
V30 has 3 filter modes to play with, I don't feel V30 is analytical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back