LG V10 Smartphone vs Onkyo DP-X1 Audio Quality
Apr 30, 2016 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Larethio

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I currently run my lossless music off of my HTC One M9. I heard that the LG V10 has a ess dac but the Onkyo dp-X1 has two. Which one should I expect greater sound quality put of? Assuming I'm playing lossless out through non balanced output on the DP-X1. Thanks

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 6
In theory and technically they should sound similar, the only difference that I can see between the V10 and the DP-X1 is the fact that the DP-X1 is using the ESS 9601 amplifier chip and for the V10, well I don't know what amp chip it is using. And both are using the same ESS 9018K2M DAC.

I have the Pioneer XDP-100R, which is the same config as the V10 but has the ESS 9601 amp chip alongside the 9018K2M DAC. The only reason I chose the XDP-100R over getting the V10 is because the V10 does not have dual MicroSD Card slots and my music collection is 200GB+.

But in all honesty I think you should be fine with the LG V10 unless you really want the dual DAC & AMP setup with a Balanced Output and dual MicroSD Cards. But then if you want dual MicroSD Cards then just get the XDP-100R.

May 1, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Most DAC chips are excellent now a days. One might be better than another on such a small measurement I doubt any of us could tell in a blind test.

That said, a quality DAP will outperform any smartphone because it's not hindered by the insane size constraints of smartphones. They have the physical room to properly implement the DAC and, equally important, the Amp section. This is VERY audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back