LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Oct 22, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #31 of 1,179
Thanks for the review Whitigir!! I'm looking forward to trying the v10 on the day of their official release. I wish by then LG would make the hifi mode available for all music apps.

I'm also hoping the HTC will deliver superior audio quality on the O2. As I am still a fan of the sense UI and the front facing speakers, I can live without replaceable battery, but not the lack of micro sd expansion though.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #33 of 1,179
I think the Default to the SD codec can be override with a simple driver upgrade. Will LG do it ? Or will other people start doing it ? I am not sure. None the less, the V10 is very good for what it is. Audio quality is up top.

Allows LG for sometimes. I am sure they will correct the problem :D

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #34 of 1,179
Absolutely a deal breaker ! And yes, with all other apps rendered useless by Hifi DAC in the V10, there is nothing else that interested us ! Like the title said, in-depth audio quality review.

The point of a "Multi media consumption" from a smartphone such as V10 with the built in HiFi codec is to be able to use it with YouTube in high resolution streaming, Netflix, prime in high resolution streaming with good movie and shows audio quality. Without this, any smartphone with a USB stacked will do a better job. For example an HTC M9 with the Mojo
wink.gif

LG, if you are reading this, please find a solution. But I guess it wouldn't be easy. It would be easier if the main CPU wasn't Snapdragon, Perhap anything like Mediatek or Exynos would have done it well

Thanks for the great review Whitgir. Looks like the inability to use the ESS Sabre DAC on Spotify and YouTube is definitely the biggest deal breaker for me. I was so looking forward to get the LG V10 right after your review but it's too bad LG has to do something foolish like this. Too bad for them, they're not getting my money and I'm sure many others too until they fix this stupid problem. Honestly....is LG out of their mind???

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #35 of 1,179
Thanks for the great review Whitgir. Looks like the inability to use the ESS Sabre DAC on Spotify and YouTube is definitely the biggest deal breaker for me. I was so looking forward to get the LG V10 right after your review but it's too bad LG has to do something foolish like this. Too bad for them, they're not getting my money and I'm sure many others too until they fix this stupid problem. Honestly....is LG out of their mind???

My pleasure to have helped. I agreed, LG did everything just wonderful....except that only Stock music app have the access to the Hifi combination, and not other apps ....totally sad.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #37 of 1,179
I don't get it.  Could the LG devs not figure out how to make it work universally with headphones?   Doesn't make sense to me but surely there has to be a reason for it.

They probably forgot it or so ? Somebody need to bring it into their attentions. It isn't hard for them to push over the air update :wink:

I just wrote to them on Facebook. Hopefully they will push out some OTA fix ASAP :D:D

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #39 of 1,179
I must agree that this is a deal breaker for me. As an LG user, I can confirm that the LG stock music app sucks. Not only it lacks so many features that it feels barebones to me, but also, it cannot play gapless tracks, which pretty much ruins every live recording you want to listen.

I don't care about Youtube or Spotify not being able to access the DAC, since those can only play lossy music anyways. I'm just concerned about my music files playing as they should.

Until they fix this and either make the audiophile DAC available to other apps (so that I can play my hi-res files from PowerAmp and still benefit from the DAC), or at least upgrade the stock app (so that it can play gaplessly and provides you with the basic features an audiplayer must have), there's no point in having such a powerful DAC. But this is only a matter of software,so it can be solved easily with a minor OTA update. I trust LG to take care of the issue.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #40 of 1,179
I must agree that this is a deal breaker for me. As an LG user, I can confirm that the LG stock music app sucks. Not only it lacks so many features that it feels barebones to me, but also, it cannot play gapless tracks, which pretty much ruins every live recording you want to listen.

I don't care about Youtube or Spotify not being able to access the DAC, since those can only play lossy music anyways. I'm just concerned about my music files playing as they should.

Until they fix this and either make the audiophile DAC available to other apps (so that I can play my hi-res files from PowerAmp and still benefit from the DAC), or at least upgrade the stock app (so that it can play gaplessly and provides you with the basic features an audiplayer must have), there's no point in having such a powerful DAC. But this is only a matter of software,so it can be solved easily with a minor OTA update. I trust LG to take care of the issue.

Agreed :D let's see if LG is going to do anything at all

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #41 of 1,179

Lossy or non lossy, I want access to the ESS Sabre DAC anytime I want to, especially if I'm paying for it. I don't want LG to control when I can use my ESS Sabre DAC!!! Try going to a restaurant and have the waiter or waitress tell you when to eat your food after the food is served..."Sir, your food is served but you can only eat it when we tell you to....understood?" 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #44 of 1,179
There is a guy in the head fi facebook group saying that the hifi icon is showing in the notification panel when using Tidal.

Any ideas?

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #45 of 1,179
There is a guy in the head fi facebook group saying that the hifi icon is showing in the notification panel when using Tidal.

Any ideas?

It shows just s long as you turned it on, and headphones is attached....but the effects is not there. Like I said, there are huge sound quality deficiency on those apps, and the only one to fully utilize this Hifi is the stoc music app.

Again, it will always show up...but will you benefit ? Not from any other apps, but only stock app :D. Even when I try to toggle it on and off by using it with Power-amp there is no such affect....not even a stall or anything, just NADA...not here sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back