LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Feb 22, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #91 of 1,050

Quote:
I hate to tell you but, we're not a driving force behind any R&D or marketing for Apple or LG or whomever. This is clearly an experiment. The V10 is not as hot selling as some of you might think, and it's impossible to know if it's audio prowess was helping to move whatever number actually sold to the consumer. LG certainly is thinking that it could help otherwise they wouldn't offer it. But the price could make this idea a bad one. The rumored price of $300 in this thread is non starter IMO. Similar size DAC/amps like those from HRT and Audioquest cost far less, and has DACs that is more than enough for real world portable use. Granted they are do not attach to a phone like this one, but that is really not hard to fix with future models. No I doubt that they will offer full blown media players instead, if the modular design takes off. We shall see.
wink.gif

agree ...esp with upcoming audioquest dragonflys priced at
only $100 for the new replacement black
or $200 for the turbo red.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/01/ces-2016-audioquest-mobilise-dragonfly-black-red/

...and if someone buys the B&O dac module do you have to buy the iems?
many people already have their own iems.
i can easily see this project going south if the pricing isn't there.

at first I was really excited by the project...(still am at LG's boldness)
now i'm a bit calmer.
i think the modular approach is a great idea, but remains to be see how it'll
be implemented.

...hope they can get support from 3rd party vendors and grow this concept successfully.

CNET   editors react to LG G5 release
http://www.cnet.com/videos/lg-g5-smartphone-cnet-editors-react/

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #93 of 1,050
I hate to tell you but, we're not a driving force behind any R&D or marketing for Apple or LG or whomever. This is clearly an experiment. The V10 is not as hot selling as some of you might think, and it's impossible to know if it's audio prowess was helping to move whatever number actually sold to the consumer. LG certainly is thinking that it could help otherwise they wouldn't offer it. But the price could make this idea a bad one. The rumored price of $300 in this thread is non starter IMO. Similar size DAC/amps like those from HRT and Audioquest cost far less, and has DACs that is more than enough for real world portable use. Granted they are do not attach to a phone like this one, but that is really not hard to fix with future models. No I doubt that they will offer full blown media players instead, if the modular design takes off. We shall see. :wink:

The modules will be pricey if bought standalone. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some came bundled with the G5.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #94 of 1,050
The modules will be pricey if bought standalone. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some came bundled with the G5.

Optional bundle pricing would be a great idea, especially as part of some promotion.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #95 of 1,050
I have the V10. The G5 is different to the V10. I have reviewed the V10 on blog gavinsgadgets and am receiving the G5 with DAC module in 2 weeks. I will be testing this a lot and reviewing.

The APT-X HD does need better headphones for the HD aspect. It is very very good. So good that wires will be obsolete in a few years. Especially if Apple ditch the headphone socket in favour of tech like this with the next iPhone. ​

So it has to be new BT headphones for APTx-HD then.  I did ask Audeze if they would be releasing a Bluetooth version of the Sine headphone with APTx-HD being introduced and they said they may later in the year if there was demand for it but said Bluetooth ruined the audio quality. I agree for mobile use, wires will mostly be gone or not wanted by most people in a few years especially if as you say APTx-HD and  is very very good. It would be very nice to be able to buy a really good neutral BT headphone without the usual emphasis on the bass........good bass, yes but not emphasised. That is what I hope the sine will be and to have a Bluetooth version would be great.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #96 of 1,050
Finally we are seeing phone firms care about us audio freaks! The G5 sounds interesting, but I am not sure I want to spend and extra $300 on a dac amp that will only be used for the life of the phone, which for me is 1.5 years. I love the thought of having just one device in my pocket that does it all and can't wait to see the reviews for the B&O addon. However the V10 has tweaked my interest ATM and APTx-HD will probably have me holding off on an upgrade right now. Bluetooth that sounds good? Surely you jest?

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #97 of 1,050
Finally we are seeing phone firms care about us audio freaks! The G5 sounds interesting, but I am not sure I want to spend and extra $300 on a dac amp that will only be used for the life of the phone, which for me is 1.5 years. I love the thought of having just one device in my pocket that does it all and can't wait to see the reviews for the B&O addon. However the V10 has tweaked my interest ATM and APTx-HD will probably have me holding off on an upgrade right now. Bluetooth that sounds good? Surely you jest?

The module can be used as a standalone device by USB port. You know "dragonfly" ?

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #98 of 1,050
For me, it was a toss up between the G5 and the V10.  In the end, I just purchased a V10.  Price was good, DAC/Amp will be more than I'll ever need, app in the app store to turn the DAC/Amp on and off when you choose, bigger internal memory for library expansion, and it's rootable right now.  Just downloaded the root file.  The V10 will be my endgame phone for a long time, as I don't see the need to upgrade now, or in the future, if it does all I need it to.  I've been with mid-market phones for too long, and this is my first high-end phone in a long time, at least since my iPhone 5.  I'm happy with my choice.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #104 of 1,050
I also agree! I already have pretty good iems and I am sure most audiophile people have their own so there is no need to pair the module with useless average earphones...
At least it should be optional!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back