LG G3 as a portable source?
Nov 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #76 of 228
Strange that i have such a conflicting opinion (using ie800)...

Knowing there are several variants of g3 i will add that mine is a Euro based D855...

That is strage as I use the IE800 as well for general portable listening. Maybe a custom ROM or mod of the sound has something to do with it? Being that android is so open source, there are always conflicts with what you should(n't) install.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #78 of 228
I have the D851, 3/32GB. The sound is impressive. I use it without an amp - V-Sonic GR07, V-Moda XS, Pistons for audio book listening, etc. Equalizers in players such as Neutron or Poweramp are very useful. My audio source is MP3 - v0 or 320k, properly encoded with LAME. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #79 of 228
Tried it with TidalHiFi for full lossless streaming. Yep. Beautiful. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #80 of 228
That is strage as I use the IE800 as well for general portable listening. Maybe a custom ROM or mod of the sound has something to do with it? Being that android is so open source, there are always conflicts with what you should(n't) install.
Stock ROM (V10J), and whatever player I feel like, doesn't really make a difference...

Maybe I just don't like the overly bright nature (which would be odd IMO, knowing my preferences) of the tone...

Either way, glad most people are enjoying it - it just isn't for me.

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #81 of 228
My guess is most people who like the G3 as a source haven't tried many if any DAP's. Myself included. I'm sure they're a step up in quality, but at added cost (and carrying another gadget). Those are the reasons i don't get into the DAP world. My wallet is happy with that decision :)

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #82 of 228
  My guess is most people who like the G3 as a source haven't tried many if any DAP's. Myself included. I'm sure they're a step up in quality, but at added cost (and carrying another gadget). Those are the reasons i don't get into the DAP world. My wallet is happy with that decision :)

+1

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #83 of 228

Or, OR, and this is crazy here, we're happy about it as a phone enough that we don't want to deal with buying another piece of hardware.

I mean, I realize my paltry experience with a VDAC/Lyr coming out of a Macbook Pro means I don't know squat about what higher end sound is like, but...

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #84 of 228
Or, OR, and this is crazy here, we're happy about it as a phone enough that we don't want to deal with buying another piece of hardware.

I mean, I realize my paltry experience with a VDAC/Lyr coming out of a Macbook Pro means I don't know squat about what higher end sound is like, but...

I meant that as well. I think the quality coming out of the G3 is top notch. Buying a DAP never really crosses my mind (in a serious way). Less is more.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #85 of 228

I just as others have already stated, refuse to buy and carry a piece of hardware aside from my phone which plays FLAC just fine.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #86 of 228
  I just as others have already stated, refuse to buy and carry a piece of hardware aside from my phone which plays FLAC just fine.

Exactly. And tests have shown that the G3 is a fantastic portable source.

It really amazes me how people think a freaking $700 phone can't possibly have as good a sound chip in it as a $300 DAC. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #87 of 228

Exactly. And tests have shown that the G3 is a fantastic portable source.

It really amazes me how people think a freaking $700 phone can't possibly have as good a sound chip in it as a $300 DAC. 

Agreed. The sound is incredible. No DAC needed for most IEM's. The sound on my Nexus 10 Samsung tablet is also pretty amazing.

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #88 of 228
My Sony XBA-H3 stright out of G3 sounds excellent just on stock player.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #89 of 228
Just got my G3, and even 10 minutes in I can tell it has less noise than my old Galaxy S3. Treble might be a bit rolled off, but the absolute lack of noise has sold me here. Would recommend. Also, holy cow the screen is nice!

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #90 of 228
  Just got my G3, and even 10 minutes in I can tell it has less noise than my old Galaxy S3. Treble might be a bit rolled off, but the absolute lack of noise has sold me here. Would recommend. Also, holy cow the screen is nice!

My last phone was also an S3. I've seen a bunch of other former S3 owners that moved to the G3 instead of an S5 or Note. Also nice phones.

The S3 and G3 both have really great sound. I can't be objective about which is better. Just loving the G3 without amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back