Lexicon Alpha DAC/Amp
Mar 6, 2011 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Windsor

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

I recently bought one of these as a temporary solution when I was in-between DACs for audiophile quality music listening. The main thing that attracted me to the unit was that it played back sound at 24 bit/96kHz and was quite inexpensive compared to most audiophile DAC/Amps. It plays back music very clearly and sounds quite neutral.

Just out of intereest does anyone here have experience with this unit in comparison with more 'audiophile' DAC/USB units?

Many thanks,
Windsor

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 2
Funny timing, I was just recently doing some testing with my Lexicon Lambda, which I originally got for recording guitar/messing with MIDI stuff.

I don't know if the DAC chips are the same, but the main difference I've found between this and my newly acquired HRT Music Streamer and the Zero DAC is the perceived presence of vocals. The Lambda and HRT both seem to bring vocals toward the front, while with the Zero they are more blended with the rest of the mix. (difference in separation?) I also perceive slightly more treble with the Lambda, which might explain why I was originally not impressed with it with headphones.

I didn't notice difference in level of detail between any of these DACs, but it's hard to A/B when I only have 1 USB A to B cable! Also, I think my speakers could use an upgrade, so I may be reporting back if I purchase something new soon.

Currently: Lambda headphone out into Z2300 sub with Advent Baby II satellites.

Keep in mind none of this is $1000-grade audiophile stuff. It's not like I can compare it to a DAC-1. Maybe someday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back