Lets Talk Metal
Sep 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #11,416 of 29,690
Dave and I constantly say its not about the numbers.

DR3 is ridiculous. Reminds me of the Aosoth record which is another mastering disaster.

Total screw up. Period.

Has to be one of the worst sounding Metal records I've ever listened too. Sucks because the music is actually pretty nice.

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #11,419 of 29,690
Seems like a lot of head fi-ers are into metal. I've never been into it at all, but I do enjoy early Metallica and Pantera. I'm going to use this thread to try and explore metal and see what you guys love about it. There's a daunting number of subgenres so this is no easy task. Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Try some Agalloch, Amorphis, and Moonsorrow. To me, those are the top Metal bands in the world right now.

I must fix this and add Primordial to the list. Doesn't feel right not mentioning them. Many people would add Enslaved as well, but I haven't heard enough of them for inclusion.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #11,420 of 29,690
Anyone already got the new Katatonia album? How does it sound? I hope it is quite dynamic...otherwise I would be quite disappointed. But I´m still not sure whether to get it on CD or vinyl. Some first impressions would be nice :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #11,421 of 29,690
  Anyone already got the new Katatonia album? How does it sound? I hope it is quite dynamic...otherwise I would be quite disappointed. But I´m still not sure whether to get it on CD or vinyl. Some first impressions would be nice :)

I briefly gave my impressions a couple pages back... basically it sounds awesome.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #11,424 of 29,690
I´m loving Fallujah right now. Really great stuff...but their new EP Nomadic has DR3 in at least two of the songs....why? :frowning2: Over my laptop it doesn´t sound as bad, but I´m afraid to try it on my stereo system. Unfortunately, they don´t have their releases on vinyl yet, so I have to accept the way it is..at least for the moment. Maybe they will release it someday.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #11,426 of 29,690
  I´m loving Fallujah right now. Really great stuff...but their new EP Nomadic has DR3 in at least two of the songs....why? :frowning2: Over my laptop it doesn´t sound as bad, but I´m afraid to try it on my stereo system. Unfortunately, they don´t have their releases on vinyl yet, so I have to accept the way it is..at least for the moment. Maybe they will release it someday.

Damn shame if you ask me. I'm really liking the EP...more than their last full album.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #11,427 of 29,690
Holy crap, I've been like a constant 10 pages behind for the last two weeks. Been trying to catch up but everytime I try you guys fill up just as many pages as I can read/listen a day. Haha finally here though. Some great discussions and great music being shared the last two weeks. I basically have nothing to add other than the new Chelsea Wolfe is officially here, but i'm guessing those that are into her already know that.
To add some content i'm just going to post a random picture I took and a few variants of it I created.
Just thought they would make some cool metal art of one kind or another, funny how you could probably pull out genre names from each.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #11,428 of 29,690

Oh and I love this track!
Way too underrated.

Such a coincidence, have pulled this one out from last year and started playing it again this week. Really hard to get used to at first but after it sinks in, becomes pretty cool stuff. I think it was rated fairly well both here and by others in reviews amongst the web and print. We just don't talk about it enough here though!
beerchug.gif

I just read they are releasing Beyond Creation on vinyl too!

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #11,429 of 29,690
The new Ulcerate album Vermis is insane. My first album I've heard by them. Very Brutal, guitars are ripping like hell. Cannot wait to have the CD in my hands. Hope the sound doesn't get stale for me, we'll see. Really digging the new Gorguts album as well. Add Carcass Surgical Steel to the list as well.

Before today I had never listened to Phantom Limb by Pig Destroyer, but I have now. Really incredible production. Really fun stuff.

Also been going back and listening to some Doom Classics again after a long time not listening. A modern doom record that always wows me on my headphones is Atra Moors.

Ive been enjoying a lot of lo fi black metal recently.Old school stuff like immortal,darkthrone,satyricon and emperor.I never thought i would turn to this but there is so much atmosphere and feeling there.Ive been playing the old albums not the new
biggrin.gif

Same here I've been enjoying some classics. On that note

Quote:
  But that is my point, there is metalcore and then there is metal-core. Shai Hulud is an example of metal-core, As I Lay Dying is metalcore. And just to be clear, metallic hardcore is the implication

Also

This is beautiful but I refuse to believe that is a real drummer

Fantastic album. Great atmosphere and lo fi sound. Has to be listened to on my Phillips L1 preferably, the T1 and HE-500 are a bit fatiguing to say the least :p

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #11,430 of 29,690

Just out 09/03/13. Full album streaming here while it lasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back