Lets Talk Metal
Jan 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #5,268 of 29,701

I'm still trying to toss up between the DT880/600, D2000, HD650/HD600, and FA-002 (woodied)
It'd be paired with an E7/E9. I want something that will handle the bass of my Sludge/Doom, the drums of Death Metal, and build on/extend the atmosphere a song inherently has.
What cans you do like with your metal? Please help me decide!

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #5,269 of 29,701
Guitar prodigy Jeff Loomis has locked himself in the studio for the past few months perfecting his highly anticipated sophomore solo record, to be released later this year. After his departure from Nevermore and the release of his solo debut -- Zero Order Phase in 2008 -- fans have been craving a new album. With a number of influential musicians appearing on the upcoming release, Jeff Loomis is more than ready to deliver. Jeff Loomis comments:

"A couple of years ago I achieved my childhood dream of releasing a solo album. With the releasing of my second record coming up, I'm proud to announce another dream come true...or should I say dreams...Marty Friedman, Tony MacAlpine and Chris Poland have all done guest solos for it. These guys must have given me hundreds of blisters on my fingers when I was a kid trying in vain to emulate their work. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out some of their solos. To have three guitar players that I looked up to as a young player and still hold in such high regard is simply amazing. I can't thank those guys enough."

Nice.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #5,270 of 29,701

Quote:

I'm still trying to toss up between the DT880/600, D2000, HD650/HD600, and FA-002 (woodied)
It'd be paired with an E7/E9. I want something that will handle the bass of my Sludge/Doom, the drums of Death Metal, and build on/extend the atmosphere a song inherently has.

I have the DT880 250ohm and, presuming the 600ohm won't sound THAT much different than mine, absolutely hate it for metal. The peak at 9khz pierces my eardrums everytime a cymbal crashes. And metal has a lot of those. It lacks impact too. I like the HD580/HD600 MUCH better, it's soundstage isn't as wide making aggressive music less diffuse than on the DT880 and K701. It's treble not as sharp as the DT880 and more (MOAR!) bass than the K701. The HD580/HD600 is actually a great can for metal, but not for the very fast stuff. My Grado SR225i keeps better pace but again, is too harsh with a lot of metal's loudness war or bedroom productions.

So! I prefer the HD25-1 II over all of them, even though they're closed and relatively budget! Does everything right in my book. Basspunch without mud, focused soundstage for in-your-face enjoyment and relatively neutral/balanced without annoying peaks/dips. Portable too! Another can I'm enjoying lately is my Brainwavz HM5 (aka Fischer Audio FA-003 aka Yoga CD-880). 

Fav IEM for metal is my Arrow-amped RE0, but I don't have much else in my IEM collection right now worth mentioning. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #5,271 of 29,701

Quote:

I feel most folks would do better with closed-back headphones like the Denons. A lot of it is personal sound signature preference which comes from what your used to. I think folks get into a signature slot and stay there. Open-back headphones never sounded right for me with rock. There is going to be your metal camp which likes the HD650/600 but their numbers are few. A good thing is to take some of your Cds to a Head-Fi meet and listen. In contrast each set will have a totally different sound. In the end it is truly amazing how different each set of headphones sound when you compare them side by side. 

The great part is you know when you hear the right ones. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #5,272 of 29,701

Quote:

The DT880 is disappointing with metal. It's less gutless than the K601/K701, but there's still not quite enough bottom end there. I wasn't bothered by the treble spike though. Your best Beyer bet is the DT1350, followed by the DT770 or 990. The DT1350 is very well balanced and one of the best portables out there. That said, AFAIK the DT770 is the bass heavy one, while the 990 is more energetic.

The D2000 is also disappointing. The plastic baffle rings like a bell and the resulting sound is grainy and generally unpleasant. You can turn the D2000 into a phenomenal headphone though - see Lawton Audio.

The Sennheisers are good choices, but not for high energy stuff. The FA-002 I'm not familiar with.

The top metal headphone (excluding the LCD-2/3 on price) would probably (IMO) be down to the Thunderpants and a Lawton modified Denon.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #5,273 of 29,701
Thanks Dave, that was quite helpful!
The FA-002w is the Brainwavs HM-5 driver with a woodied back, if you know that can.
I've read about the Thunderpants but they seem a bit out of my price range..
Does the Markl mod make that big of a difference?

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #5,274 of 29,701

Quote:
Thanks Dave, that was quite helpful!
The FA-002w is the Brainwavs HM-5 driver with a woodied back, if you know that can.
I've read about the Thunderpants but they seem a bit out of my price range..
Does the Markl mod make that big of a difference?

The Markl mod makes a big difference. Even new ear pads go a long way towards solving the Denon's many foibles. The Denons are a lot like the Fostex T50RP, great driver in a crappy headphone. Lawton's wood cups are really where its at though, and that pushes the price into Thunderpants territory.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #5,275 of 29,701

Treat what DaveBSC/Negakinu said as gospel.

I want to throw in that under NO circumstances would I buy a HD650. I mean none. I thought the 650 was a significant step DOWN from the 600 in every way (and I am sick and tired of folks trying to tell me that I need a $500 dollar replacement cable for the sound to "open up".....clear signs of Head-Fi sickness....).

Btw, I highly suggest whatever you buy, you get used. Most Head-Fi'ers I have sold and bought things from keep their equipment in pristine condition. You can save hundreds going the used route.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #5,276 of 29,701
Jan 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #5,277 of 29,701
Nobody discussing the new Lamb of God album?  

Some of the songs sound like a totally different band.  Not in a bad way necessarily.  I do think this album is much better than wrath, but not as good as Ashes of the Wake. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #5,278 of 29,701
Nobody discussing the new Lamb of God album?  

No we are not talking about the Lamb of God. Thank you.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself....

Not a big Lamb of God fan so I will shut-up now.

Still trying to get my head around the new Swallow The Sun....

(I hear rumors that Insomnium and Swallow might do a headling tour in the US this Spring, anyone else hear that?)

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #5,279 of 29,701
With all this talk of headphones I have to ask, has anyone here heard the Magnums? They are apparently a more balaned/smoother Grado without fully leaving the Grado sound. A month ago I was pretty much between the Lawton Audio LA2000 and a Magnum, and decided to go Magnum. Its going to be a few months before I get it though so I could always change my decision.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #5,280 of 29,701
With all this talk of headphones I have to ask, has anyone here heard the Magnums? They are apparently a more balaned/smoother Grado without fully leaving the Grado sound. A month ago I was pretty much between the Lawton Audio LA2000 and a Magnum, and decided to go Magnum. Its going to be a few months before I get it though so I could always change my decision.

I haven't heard them yet, but I have a pair of drivers headed out to me today. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before the assembled headphones are up and working, but I can post some impressions then. (All signs point to "freakin' amazing" from what I've read.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back