Lets Talk Metal
Jan 29, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #826 of 29,687
WOW! The new Borknagar song is really good!

Borknagar-universal2009.jpg

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #827 of 29,687
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW! The new Borknagar song is really good!

Borknagar-universal2009.jpg

Yup. I havent expected Borknagar album like this for a looong time. And since ICS Vortex is a guest star, I am expecting a winner combination in some songs. Vintersorg + Vortex on vocals...
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #829 of 29,687
Different, but relevant nonetheless -

20842.jpg

Stumbled across this accidentally earlier in the week. It's a side project of Augury's Mathieu Marcotte, along with Dominic Lapointe (Augury, Quo Vadis), ChaotH (Unexpect), and the drummer from Neuraxis - should be familiar names to anybody acquainted with the Quebec scene. The album is dominated by acoustic instrumentation and there's a distinct absence of "metal", but it shares those same celestial, alien soundscapes that make Augury a somewhat unique act.

Basically, this is kind of to Augury what Gordian Knot is to early day Cynic. Beautifully recorded, as well.

Also -

Front.jpg

Another accidental find. I've had this for a while, but I don't think I've seen it mentioned in this thread.

It's Behold... the Arctopus guitarist Mike Lerner's solo project. It's mostly guitar-dominated as you'd expect, but it actually reminds me a lot of Ron Jarzombek's solo work, which is a huge complement from my end. The music doesn't focus exclusively on non-repetition in quite the same way that BTA does, but what repetition exists on this album remains completely kinetic. The riffing is solid, the shredding is quirky as hell, and above all - the songwriting is coherent and dynamic. The drums are programmed and don't sound too far off tone-wise from Devin Townsend's ZTO, but the programming itself is fairly ridiculous - plenty of blasting, double bass at inhuman speeds, off-time rhythms, polymetrics, et al.

The whole thing has a very spacey and strange feel though. There are more than a few ambient synth effects throughout the album, and you'll frequently catch an entire soundscape being developed behind the erratic drums and guitars. The songs go through movements, so it's not a monotone riff fest a la Machinations of Dementia. Vocals are in three basic flavors - a reptilian shrieking reminiscent of Sol Niger Within, a "normal" singing voice, and narration similar in style to Into the Electric Castle-era Ayreon. The production job is ultra clear as well.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a love at first listen album for any fan of BTA. Further, any fan of any kind of quirky metal would probably find something (or everything) to love here. All in all, recommended to pretty much everybody that likes metal.

I should also mention that I think this is way, way better than Skullgrid.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #831 of 29,687
This year has been good so far. Living Sacrifice's new cd is awesome, good thing since they got back together to record it lol. One thing I really like about LS is they always go all over the place on their records for the last few which keeps them interesting. Also got Arsis' starve >_> and it's good too aside from the lame-ass forced to rock, if you skip that the whole thing is good haha.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #833 of 29,687
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone else like the latest Nile CD? Pretty good I thinks...heh

man nothin but crickets in this thread the last several days huh? lol

but yeah, the nile cd's pretty good, i could without the weird egyptian parts, but ill probably buy it on my next order. This time i decided to go with the Marduk album that i mentioned above, Wormwood, i liked it even more.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #835 of 29,687
Quote:

It's good, but not an album that really stands out to me. No gripes about my pre-order from CM Distro; it's a good listen.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #837 of 29,687
I've listened to something of youtube, George's drumming is mindblowing, solid stuff but i'm not getting it... as i'm not an avid fan of the genre...i have Annihilation of the Wicked on vinyl and that's enough for me
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #838 of 29,687
Quote:

Much better than Ithyphallic! That one had, what, only one good song? Rest were pretty much Annihilation Of The Wicked B-sides and weak ones. And horrid, plasticky and thin production didnt help much either.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #839 of 29,687
Nice, SoupRKnowa. You got Animals As Leaders. Excellent album.

Have to check that Nile.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #840 of 29,687
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, SoupRKnowa. You got Animals As Leaders. Excellent album.

Have to check that Nile.

Yeah its a sweet album, though i was kind of hoping the insert would look better in person, but nope, it still looks like someone printed it off a inkjet with a low res image file lol

on a good note though, and anyone else who own the katatonia cd knows this too, thats probably the coolest case ive ever seen. Not to mention the art is bad@ss as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back