Lets Talk Metal
Jan 6, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #46 of 29,690
Have you guys heard of Gore - they're a Dutch instrumental metal band from the 80's. Not on MA.

MA has a policy of not listing grindcore bands. I think it's pretty arbitrary. Agoraphobic Nosebleed is not on MA, but Pig Destroyer is. Scott Hull, the guitarist, is in both bands. I have most of the albums of both bands. I guess they call Pig Destroyer "deathgrind", but I think that's pretty lame. Repulsion is on MA, but listed as "grindcore/death metal".

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #47 of 29,690
Please somebody take a listen to the title track "Dichotomy" on Becoming The Archetype's new album Dichotomy. It's so intense on a pair of RS-1s!
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #48 of 29,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MA has a policy of not listing grindcore bands. I think it's pretty arbitrary. Agoraphobic Nosebleed is not on MA, but Pig Destroyer is. Scott Hull, the guitarist, is in both bands. I have most of the albums of both bands. I guess they call Pig Destroyer "deathgrind", but I think that's pretty lame. Repulsion is on MA, but listed as "grindcore/death metal".

******... I'm Dead is on MA, filed simply under "grindcore". Discordance Axis is on MA, also filed simply under "grindcore". ****** the Facts is also on MA, filed partially under "metalcore"... which is absurd.

All in all, I find MA to be a bit shaky in their policies. I mean, accept Mr. Bungle and Stolen Babies but refuse Dog Fashion Disco and Sikth? Seriously?

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #49 of 29,690
Yeah there's a lot of non-metal bands on MA that fall under the "side-projects rule", certainly is why Killswitch Engage is there too.

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #50 of 29,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please somebody take a listen to the title track "Dichotomy" on Becoming The Archetype's new album Dichotomy. It's so intense on a pair of RS-1s!
biggrin.gif

I just sampled some of this album. It sounds killer! I like that "Dichotomy" song.

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #52 of 29,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
******... I'm Dead is on MA, filed simply under "grindcore". Discordance Axis is on MA, also filed simply under "grindcore". ****** the Facts is also on MA, filed partially under "metalcore"... which is absurd.

All in all, I find MA to be a bit shaky in their policies. I mean, accept Mr. Bungle and Stolen Babies but refuse Dog Fashion Disco and Sikth? Seriously?

Then I'm totally confused. How can AN not be on MA? It doesn't make any sense, but I'm pretty sure I read that somebody had tried to submit them and the moderators rejected the submission. Weird.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #54 of 29,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grindcore isn't metal, but for some reason MA half-asses it.

Setting aside labels for a moment, tell me why AN is not metal? They also have plenty of death metal/thrash influence in the guitar.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #56 of 29,690
Well put it this way.

MA has their own set of standards as to hardcore and metal crossovers. I think this is combined of what they think contains more metal than hardcore and which bands they like and which they don't.
Same applies to the side-projects rule, bands like Nest and Dargaard get put on the page despite having absolutely zero relation to metal instrumentally, however some of the atmospheres present in the music are similar to that which a metal band might create and atmospheric metal enthusiasts generally enjoy those bands, so they make the list.

Despite most of the admins on the site being real elitist pricks, they do keep the band list pretty tidy IMO and I can't really complain about how they run things it seems to work for me.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #57 of 29,690
Let's talk metal, a band which is surely on the archives : Judas Priest, Sad Wings Of Destiny is a masterpiece, but what is the correct tracklist ? According to many sources the two sides has been reversed on the cd release and the original vinyl records had the correct order. Well i have a vinyl copy, which is on Gull records, dated 1976 ( it should be one of the first presses ) and it has the supposedly correcy tracklist on the back of the sleeve ( Prelude to Deceiver ) , but Side One is still the one with Victim Of Changes...

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #59 of 29,690
Metal? well now I have transcended into something in between....

Used to listen heavily to these guys:
- GODFLESH (Industrial Metal era 1990-1999 - still am listening to them occasionally)
- Pitch Shifter (Industrial Metal eara 1990-1999)
- Fudge Tunnel
- Loudness (waaay long time ago)
- Earthshaker (waaay long time ago)
- W.A.S.P (waaay long time ago)
- My Dying Bride
- Mandator (obsecure eastern Europe Heavy Metal band)
- Masacre (not the American Massacre, but the South American doom/death hybrid)
- VOIVOD
- Earlier Sepultura
- King Diamond!
- Iron Maiden
- Darkthrone (earlier releases)
- Goatlord
- Bathory
- Bulldozer (damned HEAVY-HEAVY Italians)
- Rigor Mortis
- Poison (GLAM baby yeah!
ph34r.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Now...
I am more into ISIS, Pelican, Jesu, SCORN & HURT stuffs.....not exactly Metal but hey these guys are heavy!

PS:
I was lucky enough to obtain a super onsecure Speed Metal band called Numskull (Ritually Abused), anyboby digging them? probably the fastest speed Metal in existence

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #60 of 29,690
Actually the pricks part was the insult.

Take a chill pill buddy
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MA should have the correct tracklisting.

And please, don't use elitist as a way of insulting someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back