Lets Talk Metal
Feb 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #13,471 of 29,701
I busted out something I haven't heard in years yesterday; Fates Warning's "The Spectre Within."

There was a time when I thought this album was a complete masterpiece, but after listening to it yesterday... well, I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic album. But I'm not sure I feel it's a masterpiece. Thoughts?

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #13,472 of 29,701
I busted out something I haven't heard in years yesterday; Fates Warning's "The Spectre Within."

There was a time when I thought this album was a complete masterpiece, but after listening to it yesterday... well, I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic album. But I'm not sure I feel it's a masterpiece. Thoughts?

My familar record from them was the next album http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awaken_the_Guardian

Found the double Cd Digipack in 2005 which brought back old memories of playing that tape in the day.

I know that their music was maybe a start of progressive metal and different than the common Thrash which was dominating the times. Progressive metal has ........uh........progressed on maybe?

It was more high-tech then.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #13,473 of 29,701

In all fairness, The Harvest Floor did come first. And while I can see how Monolith if Inhumanity could be considered better on a technical level - at least production wise - it doesn't grab me by the balls the way The Harvest Floor does. Then again, I've been listening to The Harvest Floor quite regularly since it was released (/unleashed) 5 years ago, so it did have a bit of a head start for me. Also, there's no 'Regret & the Grave' on Monolith... :)

Either way, if you ever get the chance to see Cattle Decapitation live (if you haven't already), be sure not to miss them.

Yeah I guess becoming a recent fan of Cattle Decapitation gives me kind of a skewed perspective on albums as I did not have to listen to them progress in the way the band is now. To me Monolith of Humanity just evolved the Harvest Floor sound too well (imo) and I just like it that much better.

I will definitely go seem them live if the tour lands around here. The only problem (tourwise) right now is that they are putting most of their resources into writing atm. So they probably wont do a full fledged tour until that is over. They are doing a small batch around the CA area, but I do not live anywhere near there.

Gonna have to agree to disagree with you. Travis took those haunting "clean" vocals too far in Monolith IMO

I personally love the haunting clean parts. I definitely do understand what you are saying. Though it can break up the pacing a bit. I feel those moments really get across the point of the whole band. I always get the feeling of being criticized for being a human, and that I actually should try to to change the culture we live in. Which is indeed very haunting for me, and strangely pulls me into the music more.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #13,474 of 29,701
And here's why I respect what Cattle Decap do (note, you won't be able to sleep tonight)

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #13,475 of 29,701
TECH DEATH 101

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #13,476 of 29,701

Its a good album for home listening through speakers.It would not hold my attention enough to listen through headphones though

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #13,480 of 29,701

Dromers

by FLUISTERAARS

De Doornen 16:00

​

Kuddedier 10:21

​

Wortels van angst 08:15

​

about

Release on Vinyl | Tape | Digital 

a1962966324_10.jpg

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #13,482 of 29,701
Feb 27, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #13,483 of 29,701
Feb 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #13,485 of 29,701
  fan of Cattle Decapitation 

Check out Murder Construct as well! It's a bit more straight forward than Cattle Decapitation, but still very Travis Ryan. :)

"MURDER CONSTRUCT discharge their ear shattering debut full-length, Results, with the force of an early morning napalm strike. Boasting an all-star line up of notorious death metal and grindcore veterans including Travis Ryan (CATTLE DECAPITATION), Danny Walker (EXHUMED, INTRONAUT) and Leon Del Muerte (EXHUMED, IMPALED), MURDER CONSTRUCT pummel and pound their way through eleven tracks of bloodthirsty rage. The quintet set forth a lethal dose of death/grind, combining razor sharp guitars, machine gun blasts and homicidal growls with their own twisted brand of experimentation. Results is a violent, uncompromising display of top-notch musicianship and cutthroat songwriting that is sure to leave the listener outlined in chalk"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back