Lets Talk Metal
Dec 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #12,586 of 29,694
  This weekend's playlist:

If you liked Akercocke, this is the project by 3 members of that now defunct band (minus the singer). Blast beats reign down like water!

Portal - Vexovoid. This has got to be weird considering their last few records.

And finally, not so much metal (more like prog) Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing. I love all things Wilson and have heard a bit of this already. Should be great.

The Raven that Refused to Sing is excellent. One of my favorites this year. I've seen it on a few end of year metal lists which shows the influence of Mr. Wilson given that it is not metal in the least.

Great modern prog album, tho!

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #12,587 of 29,694
  This weekend's playlist:

If you liked Akercocke, this is the project by 3 members of that now defunct band (minus the singer). Blast beats reign down like water!

In Solitude - Sister. Has received a ton of good reviews.

Portal - Vexovoid. This has got to be weird considering their last few records.

And finally, not so much metal (more like prog) Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing. I love all things Wilson and have heard a bit of this already. Should be great.

A brief review of these:

Never heard/heard of, no comment

Downloaded due to reviews, it's ok but I got bored before it finished so didn't buy

Bought it because I liked the cover but it's too much for me

Good album!

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #12,588 of 29,694
  A brief review of these:

Never heard/heard of, no comment

Downloaded due to reviews, it's ok but I got bored before it finished so didn't buy

Bought it because I liked the cover but it's too much for me

Good album!

I forgot to add the artist/album on the first one. It's Voices - From the Human Forest Create a Fugue of Imaginary Rain. It's brutal/progressive black metal. If you like the style, these guys' previous band Akercocke is premium. Try Words that go Unspoken and Deeds that go Undone.

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #12,589 of 29,694
I am sure, this will eventually get posted here but this is a really good list: http://www.metal-fi.com/alexs-top-10-metal-albums-2013/

ALEX’S TOP 10 METAL ALBUMS OF 2013

POSTED BY ALEX ON DEC 20, 2013 IN RANTS | 0 COMMENTS

If last year was the year of the doom, then this year was without a doubt, the year of the comeback. With bands like CarcassGorguts, and Summoning all releasing new material after taking an absurdly long hiatus, 2013 proved to be a year that not only reaffirmed our reverence for these bands, but also reestablished our general notion of the elite.

And with respect to production, we saw great strides being made by several artists who not only released great music, but great sounding music as well, including WoeMonolithe,ArgusWitherscape, and Torture Division to name but a few.

However, this year was also chock full of disappointment too, with several bands failing to live up to the high expectations put upon them in both the music and production departments. Watain’s Century Media debut, The Wild Hunt, was for all intents and purposes a complete disaster. Megadeth released another Risk. Revocation’s self-titled album was mediocre at best (Dave is a kind, gentle soul). Moreover, SuidAkrA, Immolation, and of course Fleshgod Apocalypse decided to release some of their best work to date only to have it ruined in the studio.

Please, a moment of silence.

In any event, as I stated last year, here are my top 10 albums of the year in no particular order except the last one which I reserve as my album of the year.

Gorguts – Colored Sands

This one is obvious. I predict years from now, Colored Sands will go down as a modern day classic. It really is that good. But honestly, it should come to you as no surprise since Luc Lemay assembled some of the most talented musicians in metal today to contribute to this incredible release. And the result is truly nothing short of spectacular. What’s somewhat poetic about Colored Sands is that it took another Gorguts record to out do well, Gorguts. So many artists have tried to improve upon the dissonant formula of their 1993 seminal classic,Erosion of Sanity, with only varied success. But after a twelve year sabbatical, Lemay and Co. raise the bar once again and show why Gorguts is now, or perhaps always have been, a bonified institution. And lest not forget Marston’s incredible production work which encourages you to play this record at the highest of volumes – truly, a masterpiece from end-to-end.

Altar of Plagues – Teethed Glory and Injury

When Chris Bruni of Profound Lore stated that this record was bar none the greatest piece of extreme metal he has ever had a pleasure to distribute, I chalked it up to the usual label hype that coincides with all of his releases. But honestly, the man was spot on. Altar of Plagues’ final record is mind boggling. James Kelly somehow took his new found passion for industrial/electronica and fused it with black metal perfectly. Yet, many critics have also lambasted Teethed Glory and Injury as a pompous, self-indulgent exercise that is more “hipster” than black. Totally agree. But it is also dark, brooding, sinister, and at times, beautiful. This is no doubt a challenging listen, and many of you will walk away confused and even to some extent, dismayed. But that’s exactly why its so brilliant, since it is able to invoke such a violent and visceral reaction which is exactly what extreme metal is all about.

Cult of Luna – Vertikal

Simply put, their best record to date. Vertikal is a magnificent specimen of post-sludge that solidifies Cult of Luna as a top tier act. I still maintain that “I: The Weapon” is the greatest piece of music they have ever written. Regardless, this record from beginning to end is just gorgeous and an absolute must buy. Though Billy Anderson’s master is a bit uneven, overall it still delivers the goods despite the relatively mediocre levels of compression.

Oathbreaker – Eros|Anteros

Forget Sunbather, this is the number one record on Deathwish Inc. Consider Eros|Anterosthis year’s All You Love You Leave Behind but better. Believe it. A confluence of hardcore, post, and black metal make this album an incredible journey that is just mesmerizing. Tracks like “The Abyss Looks Into Me,” and “Clair Obscur” are 9 minute plus stunners that showcase a level of songwriting maturity not seen on their debut. And despite being compressed to industry “competitive” levels, Brad Boatright’s master sounds solid. Make note, the vinyl has a point or two of more dynamics and is well worth the investment.

Cultes Des Ghoules – Henbane

Despite my affinity for Inquisition’s latest release, this was the best occult black metal record of the year. Hands freak’n down. Poland’s Cultes des Ghoules sophomore record is just pure magic, literally. This is the music goats get sacrificed to as part of some long lost Satanic ritual. Highlights include the opening scorcher “Idylls of the Chosen Damned” and the more subdued, yet eerily hypnotic “Vintage Black Metal.” I’m fairly certain that every time you play this record a kitten dies. Mgla’s mix/master is mediocre, but it does a fairly good job of highlighting Mark of the Devil’s incredible vocal performance. Do not miss.

Tribulation – Formulas of Death

Out of all the incredible death metal records released this year, this is my favorite. And despite its name, Tribulation’s Formulas of Death is nothing but. This is part “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” and part Swedish death metal, which as you can imagine creates a very singular listening experience. Everything on this record is pure genius, from its melodic picking to its acid-trip riffing, there is something here for everyone. If there is only one track you plan to listen too, please blast “Rånda.” Amazing.

Caladan Brood – Echoes of Battle

If you asked me which album I prefer, Summoning’s Old Morning Dawn or Caladan Brood’sEchoes of Battle? I would say Echoes every time. I am actually shocked that this record has not made more year end lists. No matter. Despite it’s clear Summoning worship, Caladan Brood’s debut is simply outstanding, and improves upon it’s derivative by incorporating a healthy dose of infectious, blistering leads and majestic vocal hymns. This record is epic in every conceivable way and an absolute must buy for anyone who appreciates fantastic atmospheric folk black metal.

Progenie Terrestre Pura – U.M.A.

Progenie Terrestre Pura’s debut had me sold after the first introductory beeps, boops, and bops. As the cover imagery suggests, U.M.A. is constructed of five epic tracks, most of which hover around the 10 minute mark, each of which is a sumptuous serving of industrial post black metal that really captures the inevitable dystopian future our technocratic culture will eventually bring. Fair warning though, the production of this record is less than ideal, with loads of issues mainly in the vocal and drums department. I can only hope Eon[0] and Nex[1] consider re-releasing it on vinyl based off a newer, more dynamic master. They will have at least one guaranteed sale.

Vulture Industries – The Tower

Man, this album came out of nowhere. I wanted to formerly review it, but just didn’t have the time. Vulture Industries is a Norwegian avant-garde metal band that really hasn’t gotten the exposure they so richly deserve. Believe it or not, this is their third full length and by golly, it’s a monster. And don’t let the avant-garde moniker dissuade you either. The Tower is an extremely accessible record that really welcomes you to bathe in full glory of Vulture Industries’ unique sound. Highlights are abound, but you must, must listen to the title track and “The Hound,” both of which go through the full gamut of their song writing prowess. This is easily this year’s best avant-garde, off the beaten path release.

Gris – À l’âme enflammée, l’äme constellée…

Album of the year. No question. It’s been six years since the duo of Neptune and Icare have graced us with any new material and boy was it worth the wait!  À l’âme enflammée, l’äme constellée… is a sublime double CD release that combines Eastern world music with black metal all in an extremely elegant package. Furthermore, unlike their debut, this record’s production is simply fantastic, with a solid sense of dynamics across the board that really helps articulate Gris’ spiritual aural vision. If you consider yourself a black metal aficionado, then you owe it to yourself to seek this record out now. Buy it, it’s a no brainer.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #12,591 of 29,694

My best of the year list.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #12,592 of 29,694
Dec 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #12,593 of 29,694

Quote:
markm1, you do understand that bit for bit, they are the same thing? i.e. 99% of the time, the Bandcamp release is EXACTLY the same set of bits as the CD.

Is the issue you don't have a good digital playback system? i.e. you can't get the bits out of your computer through a decent DAC? But even so, I would buy the Bandcamp release and just burn the CD since bits don't go bad!

Thanks Trogdor for your input. I work with a pretty big learning curve when it comes to the digital age. But, I'm slowly evolving.

I listen to my digital files with a Sonos streaming system. I run Sonos from my music collection on a NAS (Network Assisted Drive). This effectively divorces my PC from the equation and allows me to play in different zones in my house. I like the convenience of playing my files without tying up a PC. Click on a cell phone. Most of it is Lossless. Sonos has been tested by Audiophile magazine to be bit-perfect to the source file.But, the music is streamed rather than originating directly from a PC. 

My Sonos is connected directly into an integrated amp with a better DAC that upgrades the Sonos DAC. Playback should be pretty good. But, it is streamed NTL, and the same music on a CD played through the same stereo sounds a little better to me.

Bandcamp a good idea. I guess, I still like the idea of physical media. Call it fuddy duddiness. But, I have this notion that if something happened to my Sonos, to my NAS storage, I like having an actual CD. You're right I could just burn CD's. And, yet, I enjoy having the CD art, lyrical content and so on.

I enjoy having all my CDs organized visually like a library and being able to browse the titles of the CDs as you would in a record store. If I had all that music digitally, I'd be afraid I'd forget I had some of it! I find it helpful seeing it visually, like books on a shelf, looking at a CD and thinking, "I should revisit this or that band".

So, yeah, I guess I'm still being dragged into the digital age a bit.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #12,594 of 29,694
Thanks Trogdor for your input. I work with a pretty big learning curve when it comes to the digital age. But, I'm slowly evolving.

I listen to my digital files with a Sonos streaming system. I run Sonos from my music collection on a NAS (Network Assisted Drive). This effectively divorces my PC from the equation and allows me to play in different zones in my house. I like the convenience of playing my files without tying up a PC. Click on a cell phone. Most of it is Lossless. Sonos has been tested by Audiophile magazine to be bit-perfect to the source file.But, the music is streamed rather than originating directly from a PC. 

My Sonos is connected directly into an integrated amp with a better DAC that upgrades the Sonos DAC. Playback should be pretty good. But, it is streamed NTL, and the same music on a CD played through the same stereo sounds a little better to me.

Bandcamp a good idea. I guess, I still like the idea of physical media. Call it fuddy duddiness. But, I have this notion that if something happened to my Sonos, to my NAS storage, I like having an actual CD. You're right I could just burn CD's. And, yet, I enjoy having the CD art, lyrical content and so on.

I enjoy having all my CDs organized visually like a library and being able to browse the titles of the CDs as you would in a record store. If I had all that music digitally, I'd be afraid I'd forget I had some of it! I find it helpful seeing it visually, like books on a shelf, looking at a CD and thinking, "I should revisit this or that band".

Very cool. markm1 that makes perfect sense to me.

As long as you are making a digital archive of every CD you buy, you're good. I had this picture of you walking over to that library and taking out a different CD every few minutes! :)

I'd like to build my own Sonos box (or equivalent) to play with it (and then write about it).

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #12,595 of 29,694
Very cool. markm1 that makes perfect sense to me.

As long as you are making a digital archive of every CD you buy, you're good. I had this picture of you walking over to that library and taking out a different CD every few minutes! :)

I'd like to build my own Sonos box (or equivalent) to play with it (and then write about it).

Sweet. You should do that. There is definitely room in the market to make better and better streaming systems. I'd love to travel 20 years into the future!

Sonos has really changed my listening. The biggest drawback to Sonos is it is not true Audiophile quality. There are more pricey products on the market that are geared more toward audiophiles, but they seem to lack the convenience and features. And, Sonos can be pricey in itself once you start buying a lot of additional units. For most of us, we start with one or two components and start adding. I've got a Sonos Connect for my proper stereo and two of their Sonos wireless speakers for other rooms and a playbar to use with my TV for a home theater kind of rig. Next will be their Sub which really is a pretty nice sounding Sub.

I equate it with what Apple originally did with the Ipod in that they put great resources in features, software, convenience making it super user friendly, but cut som corners with sound quality.

I still  think  it's the best thing on the market for the masses and people like me who want something user friendly and simple. Back some time, I found myself essentially listening to CDs in a car (I didn't even have a stereo per se) and using my Ipod. So, I wanted to access my entire digitial collection-say 11-15,000 tracks in lossless files and listen in good stereo sound wirelessly. Sonos has allowed me to do that. It's supposed to accommodate up to 60,000 tracks which gives me a good bit of growing room.

I use Sonos through a dedicated stereo in a computer room-where I am right now w/ decent speakers. I can either listen to a single CD w/ more audiophile fidelity or stream Sonos if I want to  listen to a playlist or genre much as I used to do with an Ipod. It's nice to be able listen to a file of "new music" or "extreme metal" or "mellow music" or whatever through my speaker system and be able to access all my music. With my old Ipod, I was frustrated that I could not put all of my music on the Ipod. I always, had to take music off to make room for more music. Here, I can push listen to anything I own digitally w/ minimal effort.

Then the real plus is I can go into another room and hear any music I own on Sonos speakers-in the kitchen, Bed room, LR, etc.

At some point someone will create the features/convenience of Sonos with true audiophile sound-but at what price??!

Maybe you can do that and become a billionaire
very_evil_smiley.gif

For now, I'm good w/ "house music" and a little better sounding "dedicated listening" when I want sit down w/ my headphones or stay in one room w/ my stereo.

That said, Sonos can sound pretty good ATC, either through your own higher end stereo (there's a company that will take a Sonos connect and upgrade some of the circuitry) or on their speakers. You can tweek it and make it better by getting a better external DAC for a stereo as I've done, storing your music in lossless files. They now have a Sub which really adds some heft-really want that for my base heavy doom and downtuned metal and I've currently got their playbar to use Sonos in a home theater situation. I find for just messing around the house, in the kitchen getting read for work or whatever, the SQ is just fine. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #12,596 of 29,694
don't fear the technology :wink:

sonos actually sounds pretty good.  the ONLY thing i don't like about their system is the proprietary transducers

i run a server all over the house using DLNA devices, i can play .flac anywhere and my room-sized music collection sits on some drives.  it was pretty hard to set up and still buggy but definitely works fine for the most part and is as audiophile as the transducers i'm using on the other end.

on another note, i'm home for the holidays so i'm really excited to see the lists coming out and make my own. great list Trogdor i agree with much of that.  great list of death bands Redcarmoose, some great stuff there too

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #12,597 of 29,694
  don't fear the technology :wink:

sonos actually sounds pretty good.  the ONLY thing i don't like about their system is the proprietary transducers

i run a server all over the house using DLNA devices, i can play .flac anywhere and my room-sized music collection sits on some drives.  it was pretty hard to set up and still buggy but definitely works fine for the most part and is as audiophile as the transducers i'm using on the other end.

on another note, i'm home for the holidays so i'm really excited to see the lists coming out and make my own. great list Trogdor i agree with much of that.  great list of death bands Redcarmoose, some great stuff there too

Nice!

Fear, fear....no fear, no fear.

Listening now to a combination of new releases I'm thinking of buying-on Rhapsody and two newer release from recommendations and year end list. I just bought Oranssi Pazuzu-Valoonielu (really cool-psychedelic -space rock/BM-just the kind of unique genre shifting metal mash up I dig and Ken Mode Entrech-Hardcore Baby! Two favorite genres of mine: interesting melodic BM and Metallic Hardcore. And streaming some non metal atmospheric electronic stuff that's really interesting: Darkside and Forest Swords.

It's nice to make a temporary playlist on the Sonos Queue-and combine new music I own as well as throwing in some stuff from a music streaming service and throw it all into a witches brew
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #12,598 of 29,694

You know I'm the opposite I just recently started building my cd collection lol

I managed to find the red limited edition of deftones white pony BRAND NEW!

I rip everything into wav files on dbpoweramp

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #12,600 of 29,694
You know I'm the opposite I just recently started building my cd collection lol

I managed to find the red limited edition of deftones white pony BRAND NEW!

I rip everything into wav files on dbpoweramp

It's taken years, and I've had stuff stolen and lost. One of the benefits of age, I guess is you have more time to collect schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back