Lets Talk Metal
Jan 15, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #13,037 of 29,690
Nice article on everyones favorite topic here: Good 'ol Loudness Wars

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2014/01/15/life-is-all-dynamics/

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #13,038 of 29,690

Meh. It was ok. It wouldn't have made the cut on Reign in Blood or South of Heaven.

It divided fans. Some thought it sucked. I liked the strip down hardcore vibe, but it was no Reign in Blood. Testament has been the big surprise for me in terms of established old thrash acts. Their last two are surprisingly solid. I think they've aged the best.

IMO,  there are a handful of recent established bands with remarkableconsistency.  In fact, I think modern metal has been really, really good. Compared to the 80's there is a much broader range of styles........

Agalloch , Katatonia, Dark Tranquility, Behemoth (from Thelma.6 through The apostasy with some so stuff in between), Mastodon minus Hunter (that would be my "meh"), Isis, Nourosis..... Since Mortuus joined Marduk, they've had a renaissance of great BM starting with Plague Angel thru serpent Serman. DSO and Blut Aus Nord have released a string of outstanding weird stuff.

Just my random thoughts of constancy in recent metal from more or less known comodoties

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #13,040 of 29,690

True. All of the greats of the 80's have been letting us down for years. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth.... but on a positive note, there have been solid releases by Anthrax and Testament in the past few years. I don't think we'll ever have a period like 79-89 ever again as far as bands putting out several classics back to back. I mean, with the exception of the first 4-5 Opeth albums, how often do you see a series of releases like Kill 'em All-->Ride the Lightning-->Master of Puppets-->And Justice. Or So far, So Good-->Peace Sells-->Youthenasia. Just doesn't happen too often.

Maybe it's just the time in our lives when we heard those albums, maybe they were truly great, I don't know. I just try to evaluate each disc one by one these days and not play favorites. I did enjoy Death Magnetic, just not to the level I enjoyed And Justice.

There are still some good thrash bands from the 80 s that i love-Testament,Sodom.Destruction Exodus.Im sure there are a few more ive missed aswell.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #13,041 of 29,690
Wow thanks Tom! A subject close to my heart! I just sent them some email about it, see what happens?

I was about to ask if one of you was somehow involved in the making of this article or at least in "inspiring" the NCS guys :)

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #13,043 of 29,690
Jan 16, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #13,047 of 29,690
  There are still some good thrash bands from the 80 s that i love-Testament,Sodom.Destruction Exodus.Im sure there are a few more ive missed aswell.

From that era and genre I still love what Kreator and Onslaught and putting out currently.Also they have put out some killer records in the last 5 years! Nice to hear Thrash is alive and well.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #13,050 of 29,690
Oh they are also offering a super special edition of the new Cynic album....guess I'll cancle my pre-order for the normal version :p
http://cyniconline.bandcamp.com/album/kindly-bent-to-free-us-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back