Lets Talk Metal
Jun 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #10,111 of 29,663
Quote:
Could you compare the new Suffocation with their last album-Blood Oath? That's the only Suffocation release I know. I listened to Blood oath and Majesty recently back to back. I prefer  Majesty and Decay by a long shot. I probably know less about modern DM than most on this list. But Majesty and Decay hit a sweet spot for me. Brutal, and just enough innovative sounds to make good to me. Just enough technicality (too much and it sounds goofy to me) and I would say a certain prog sensibility to make the songs interesting. Plus after listening to it a few times and reading the lyrics, that's one DM album I can almost understand the vocals if I come back to it some months later.

Majesty And Decay being album by Immolation so...........Yes, way way better than anything Suffocation was doing at the time. Most believe Immolation is totally consistent and never made a bad record. Suffocation on the other hand in broken into two or three camps, those who like the old and those who like the new.

I really do think Blood-Oath didn't go over that well. It was the first Suffocation album that I purchased after putting my rig together. Still not that good in my eyes. Also the self titled before it is maybe better and has cool sound but still not as great as this new one. IMO.

[size=0.9em]
Name​
[size=0.9em]
Type​
[/size]
[size=0.9em]
Year​
[/size]
[size=0.9em]
Reviews​
[/size]
Reincremated Demo 1990 2 (90%)
Human Waste EP 1991 9 (84%)
Effigy of the Forgotten Full-length 1991 16 (95%)
Breeding the Spawn Full-length 1993 9 (90%)
Live Death Split 1994  
Pierced from Within Full-length 1995 16 (89%)
Despise the Sun EP 1998 9 (87%)
Souls to Deny Full-length 2004 10 (84%)
The Close of a Chapter Live album 2005 2 (93%)
Suffocation Full-length 2006 14 (82%)
The Best of Suffocation Compilation 2008 1 (90%)
Blood Oath Full-length 2009 8 (84%)
Pinnacle of Bedlam Full-length 2013 7 (81%)
[/size] As you can see Blood Oath still gets good ratings though most people like the first three albums only. I personally think the new album is way better than anything they have done in along time except for 2004s Souls to Deny. Souls to Deny was one of my first records getting into to Death Metal again and liking it more than Black Metal.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #10,112 of 29,663
Quote:
Majesty And Decay being album by Immolation so...........Yes, way way better than anything Suffocation was doing at the time. Most believe Immolation is totally consistent and never made a bad record. Suffocation on the other hand in broken into two or three camps, those who like the old and those who like the new.

I really do think Blood-Oath didn't go over that well. It was the first Suffocation album that I purchased after putting my rig together. Still not that good in my eyes. Also the self titled before it is maybe better and has cool sound but still not as great as this new one. IMO.

[size=0.9em]
Name​
[size=0.9em]
Type​
[/size]
[size=0.9em]
Year​
[/size]
[size=0.9em]
Reviews​
[/size]
Live Death Split 1994  
[/size] As you can see Blood Oath still gets good ratings though most people like the first three albums only. I personally think the new album is way better than anything they have done in along time except for 2004s Souls to Deny. Souls to Deny was one of my first records getting into to Death Metal again and liking it more than Black Metal.

I can agree with this board, although I have yet to hear the new album so opinions on that are up in the air

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #10,113 of 29,663
Quote:

[size=0.9em]
Name​
[/size]
[size=0.9em]
Type​
[/size]
[size=0.9em]
Year​
[/size]
[size=0.9em]
Reviews​
[/size]
Live Death Split 1994  
As you can see Blood Oath still gets good ratings though most people like the first three albums only. I personally think the new album is way better than anything they have done in along time except for 2004s Souls to Deny. Souls to Deny was one of my first records getting into to Death Metal again and liking it more than Black Metal.

Thanks! That's a very strong endorsement for the new Suffocation....think I'll pick it up.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #10,114 of 29,663
Thanks! That's a very strong endorsement for the new Suffocation....think I'll pick it up.

Check out Souls to Deny too! Strange though you may not like it at first, put it away then come back to it and understand where they are coming from. The album is actually perfect from start to finish, a masterpiece really. Sometimes i listen to it everyday for a week. I never ever get tired of it.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #10,115 of 29,663

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #10,116 of 29,663
Anybody else in here waiting for some new Decrepit Birth music?
Vocals from the hobo singer are okay, but the music is just unparalleled.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #10,117 of 29,663
Anybody else in here waiting for some new Decrepit Birth music?
Vocals from the hobo singer are okay, but the music is just unparalleled.

I didn't know they were coming out with a new record. They really had a hard year, having their van broke into and gear stolen, having to drop out of a tour because of it. I bet the new album will be great.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #10,118 of 29,663
Quote:
I didn't know they were coming out with a new record. They really had a hard year, having their van broke into and gear stolen, having to drop out of a tour because of it. I bet the new album will be great.

For genres like Pop this might result in a bad album, but misery, adversity, sadness always results in a great Metchul album!!!! Wooohooo!!!

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #10,119 of 29,663
The latest Marduk album is still blowing my mind. For some reason everything about it just clicks with me. I know it hasn't gotten rave reviews and it's not the hippest band around but dudes, this is masterful stuff. Veterans doing what they do best and they're on top of their game. Vocals are insane, production is visceral yet clear, drums are killer, riffs are agressive and buzzsaw but have some surprisingly mournful moments once in a while. Check this whole album out, if you haven't already. 

Btw, I recently started working for Metal Blade as a designer, so expect some more Negakinu meddlin' soon. :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #10,123 of 29,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kind of sampled a few minutes....sounds pretty good!

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #10,124 of 29,663
Quote:
The latest Marduk album is still blowing my mind. For some reason everything about it just clicks with me. I know it hasn't gotten rave reviews and it's not the hippest band around but dudes, this is masterful stuff. Veterans doing what they do best and they're on top of their game. Vocals are insane, production is visceral yet clear, drums are killer, riffs are agressive and buzzsaw but have some surprisingly mournful moments once in a while. Check this whole album out, if you haven't already. 

Btw, I recently started working for Metal Blade as a designer, so expect some more Negakinu meddlin' soon. :)

congrats on your new position at Metal Blade. I freaking love Marduk. Vocals are off the chart. I think Serpent's Sermon is a good album. But, I agree w/ some of the reviews that it lacks some of the experimentation and variety that I thought made Wormwood and even Rom 512 and Funeral Mist's stuff really creative and interesting in such a niche genre. I thought those release breathed some vigor into the genre. Still, for a slash and burn BM release-totally solid. I think they must have wanted to strip it down and do a bare knuckles release. Makes me think of Ravencult-Morbid Blood-fast, dirty and go for the jugular-but with better SQ/recording quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back