Lets Talk Metal
Dec 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #8,011 of 29,687
Quote:

Do know who did the remaster, or a way to track it down, I'd be interested in hearing that, Houses is my favorite Zeppelin album.

I will need to PM the member here who has the two records. They were rare and expensive in 2010 so I can only guess what they would go for now if you found one. I think they were $150.00 then? The other disks were the two diskPhysical Graffiti, so it was more money. From what I understand the Japan mini-album CD box set is still using the same files as the 1994 US box CD release. I listened to the Japan box set and could not hear any difference between the two. I really think we will be in for a grand surprise this year with the Zepp remasters. They will maybe be in Blue-Ray audio like Celebration Day. I would guess there will be a pricey box set like the Beatles box in vinyl as well as sold as single records.They will most-likely be 180 gram and expensive but great. From my experience I never thought my 1994 box set was ever that great, so this new generation is a long time coming.

The best stuff we have for Zepp really are the studio albums. They were one of the most live bootlegged bands of the 1970s too. A friend of mine used to be the editor of Proximity, the Zepp news letter, he has 100s of bootlegs and I head a bunch. I recently heard a 24/96 copy of Destroyer (a famous bootleg live recording) and still nothing is the great quality. Zepp fans were and maybe are still like Dead-Heads and love the live recordings in what ever quality they can get them in.

It will be exciting to if they get improvements in 16bit/44.1 Hz like the CD of The Song Remains The Same. That was a grand gift a couple of years back and just shows what Jimmy Page is capable of giving us with today's technology. The 4 disk 180 gram box set of The Song Remains The Same is one of the best sounding live recordings I have ever heard, which is saying a lot considering when it was recorded. So maybe these new Zepp releases will even improve on the Houses of the Holy remaster I was able to hear. At the time of release it will be a contest to play em back to back just to see is Jimmy Page's actions of stopping the recent remaster process was a good decision and ended being best for the music and not just financial gains.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #8,012 of 29,687
Quote:

The new vinyl masters were taken from the digital remasters done for the CD re-issues a few years ago, 2009 I think. The actual mastering was done at 24/192, which was then cut down to 24/44 for some sort of USB thingie. The vinyl is pressed from the same 24/44, and according to those in the know, basically sounds the same as that, except worse because of things like surface noise from the crappy pressing plant that was chosen for the US release.

1966 stereo originals are really not as bad as you might think. The earliest UK pressings cost a fortune, but a more run of the mill '66 pressed in Europe can be had for under $50, even in mint condition.

Just for fun in 09 I purchased the remaster of The White Album( The Beatles) from that set. I have to say it was really bad. It inspired me to go out and but an original Apple numbered pressing from the day. I got home then found I already had one, so now I have two copies. Abby Road was actually the first of the remaster series from the famous 2009 series to be put out on vinyl. Actually Abby Road is a fantastic sounding vinyl record remaster, maybe coming out in 2008. They finally released the complete Beatles vinyl box set this year. So if anyone wanted to they could get the 09 CD remaster series on vinyl. I have listened to both the stereo and mono Beatles box set and was not totally impressed. Not impressed enough to get em all again on vinyl. Maybe a couple of Head-Fi members have ponyed up for the set, I know the Beatles are popular on Head-Fi.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #8,014 of 29,687
Guess it's time to post my best of 2012... so many great releases this year! These guys tied for first, I couldn't choose between them because they're too different.

Alcest - Les voyages de l'âme
Sigh - In Somniphobia
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I

Runner ups:

Katatonia - Dead End Kings
Swallow the Sun - Emerald Forest and the Blackbird
What the Blood Revealed - Harbour of Devils (Again, if you haven't heard them, be sure to give it a listen. Really good and generally unheard of band.)

Macrocheesium, you liked What the Blood Revealed, try The Isosceles Project.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #8,015 of 29,687
Dec 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #8,016 of 29,687
Quote:

Dude, its same here. Yesterday Gojira gig had approx 2000-3000 people which is quite low... I think main reason for that was there was a Testament gig which was happening nearby. I want to see a lot of bands but they dont come to India. Truth be told, its the last three-four years that I have seen Ironmaiden, Meshuggah, Tesseract, Enslaved, Machinehead, Megadeth, Amon Amarth, Opeth and Lamb of God etc. Can't really complain now. Because five or six ago, no one used to come.. Bands are coming to India and I am happy..

Well That's really awesome, just with a few of the ones you've seen I wouldn't complain. Also that India is a big country with tons of people so more people equals more posiblilities  pf people liking a genre, I live in Panama, a tiny country, so the amount of people that like metal is equaly as tiny, Though I'm moving to Costa Rica, that while not exactly larger, a lot more bands go there, especially Black and Death bands I see a lot. some gigs I missed there this year that i would have really loved going to were Dream Theater and Megadeth+ Children of Bodom

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #8,017 of 29,687
Quote:
Well That's really awesome, just with a few of the ones you've seen I wouldn't complain. Also that India is a big country with tons of people so more people equals more posiblilities  pf people liking a genre, I live in Panama, a tiny country, so the amount of people that like metal is equaly as tiny, Though I'm moving to Costa Rica, that while not exactly larger, a lot more bands go there, especially Black and Death bands I see a lot. some gigs I missed there this year that i would have really loved going to were Dream Theater and Megadeth+ Children of Bodom

I missed Children of Bodom too. They came in October :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #8,021 of 29,687
Quote:
For fans of Meshuggah and Periphery, run (not walk) to Carthage's bandcamp page to hear their awesome debut, Salt the Earth:

Click here for my review on Metal-Fi

Man that was really killer, when the guitars kicked I I was smiling like an idiot
biggrin.gif
. I was listening to Parallax II for like the 30th time but I know what I'm going to listen to right now 
beyersmile.png

Thanks for the recommendation!!!

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #8,022 of 29,687
Quote:
For fans of Meshuggah and Periphery, run (not walk) to Carthage's bandcamp page to hear their awesome debut, Salt the Earth:

I'm a big 'Riphery  and Meshuggah fan, but this just didn't do anything for me :/
it wasn't anything I haven't heard done better in similar bands, and they didn't bring anything that really made themselves stand out.
:/

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #8,023 of 29,687
I'm a big 'Riphery  and Meshuggah fan, but this just didn't do anything for me :/

it wasn't anything I haven't heard done better in similar bands, and they didn't bring anything that really made themselves stand out.

Bummer. Did you actually listen to the whole album or just that tune? I actually think as a whole Carthage's Salt the Earth is a lot stronger than Meshuggah and Periphery's latest release. Its really just killer stuff.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #8,025 of 29,687
Quote:

Somehow, I felt the same way :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back