Lets Talk Metal
Dec 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #7,951 of 29,680
Quote:
I am going to break your heart but I hate to tell you 99% chance the BoB vinyl is the same master as the CD so if anything, the vinyl is worse! BoB vinyl is really a sham and I am sure Dave has a lot more to day about it.
The absolute best edition of BWP from when Dave and I were talking about is this:
MFN 264 Black Water Park
Typically brandy new in shrink warp is about ~$150-200. Ouch. YMMV.
In fact, I will let Dave brag about his new Opeth acquisition which is quite awesome! HINT: HE will be reviewing it soon.

No, I totally agree that BOB uses digital masters for the vinyl. We have talked about that before on this thread. I'm no total scientist when it comes to this whole thing. Actually HA, I'm kind of like a girl...........

I saw the violet clear Orchid release on BOB and ordered in from Ebay.It came the next day!
very_evil_smiley.gif
This sheet was dangerous at the time......Credit cards-ebay-next-day records at the movement of a couple fingers....HAHA

It must have so much pure placebo effect that it did me in. It may be that my vinyl play-back does a funny fuzz distortion to the guitar sounds on the album. In my system the vinyl just sounds a lot better than the CD. Some records sound really bad to so it's not just that vinyl is magic or anything here!
wink.gif

Anybody has to admit that Orchid has a cutting treble mid and high guitar. They multitracked layers upon layers and it has the sound of the era, almost a Dissection/Gothenburg matrix. It's dense and the CD is cutting. But that was the sound then. People loved it. It always makes me wonder how cool it would be to hear the original vinyl from the day. You can't have everything! lol

This is the BWP I own.
http://www.amazon.com/Blackwater-Park-Vinyl-Opeth/dp/B001CW7MCY

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #7,953 of 29,680
To anyone who thinks the Blackwater Park vinyl doesn't sound better than the CD:

CD left, LP right.

I have most of the Opeth LP rips, and for the most part they do sound better.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #7,954 of 29,680
Quote:
Yes, I really like Damnation for what it is, a really good Progressive rock album, but I just dig their agressive (combined?) sound more, although I love to listen to Damnation when I'm with my dad in the car, it would top in my prog Rock list, though I don't listen to much prog rock :p.

of course many people will argue that Damnation is the best halve of Deliverance/Damnation but I like the overall style of Deliverance more

Just listened to their cover of Remember Tomorrow by Maiden and it made me remember how much I like Di'anno's Maiden, Maiden is really the band that made me start to appreciate metal. and their first two have a real special place in my heart. Again I'm fairly young so I haven't been listening to music nearly as much as most people here (I'm 15, really started getting into music in around 04)

My younger Brother has been taking me Maiden shows. Totally cool to see the Maiden family vibe! I have had exposure to IM for ever. Started listening to Number Of The Beast in the mid eighties. They are another band that in coincidentally is the other band like Converge that I have consistently tried to listen to so as to love them like every one else. They have to be the most accessable metal band to ever live. They have been a major influence on really everything from death-metal to black-metal.

1. Iron Maiden (1980)
  2. Killers (1981)
  3. The Number of the Beast (1982)
  4. Piece of Mind (1983)
  5. Powerslave (1984)
  6. Somewhere in Time (1986)
  7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
  8. No Prayer for the Dying (1990)
  9. Fear of the Dark (1992)
  10. The X Factor (1995)
  11. Virtual XI (1998)
  12. Brave New World (2000)
  13. Dance of Death (2003)
  14. A Matter of Life and Death (2006)
  15. The Final Frontier (2010)
All of us here could have talks about IM till the cows come home....HAHA

This year has been an attempt to like them like my Brother does by playing Fear Of The Dark, A Matter of Life and Death, Killers!  All great!

Quote:
I am going to break your heart but I hate to tell you 99% chance the BoB vinyl is the same master as the CD so if anything, the vinyl is worse! BoB vinyl is really a sham and I am sure Dave has a lot more to day about it.
The absolute best edition of BWP from when Dave and I were talking about is this:
MFN 264 Black Water Park
Typically brandy new in shrink warp is about ~$150-200. Ouch. YMMV.
In fact, I will let Dave brag about his new Opeth acquisition which is quite awesome! HINT: HE will be reviewing it soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Candlelight_Years

Above is the CD I'm listening to. I really have no idea as to how it rates against the original CD issue from the day. I did do a back to back test against the vinyl and the sound of the record was a ton better. This is one of those things that is just about how much time money and energy is wanted to be involved here. Even though we all have different systems for replay and different ears for hearing, most of us agree that some issues are great and some are just bad. I have every single BOB Burzum release ever made from the classic years. They sound better than the CD. Am I going to go and find the original Burzum releases? They have a sound and the vinyl,even though is on BOB, sounds again better than the CDs.

Go and find an original Burzum release on vinyl............

$200 and most likely not in good shape. Do I know for sure? No I have never seen an original Burzum release on vinyl. For my effort I'm happy with what I have in BOB releases.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #7,955 of 29,680
My uncle is a classic rock/metal freak and for hobby he hosts a radio show each saturday, I used to go with him almost every saturday but lately haven't found the time. around 09' a friend also used to come and we always had a blast the 3 hours we where there just plain enjoying music. we most had a blast when we listened to Maiden (my favorite band back then) and AC/DC (my friend's favorite band back then)

I have to admit my favorite release from them is their Debut, then Piece of Mind 

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #7,956 of 29,680
Whooooo... Opeth!

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #7,961 of 29,680
Back On Black has only reissued the first three Opeth records on vinyl. The later ones were done by Music On Vinyl. From what I've heard the MOV is better than the earlier Koch records pressing of Blackwater Park, but I know the band said they were very unhappy with the MOV reissues.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #7,963 of 29,680
hopefully in the making? lol

Never would be fine with me, I thought Heritage was an abomination. My favourite Opeth is Blackwater Park although I like most of their catalogue....Heritage was just so far from what I like in metal and to me wasn't Opeth any more. To each their own and its cool to see bands evolve rather than stagnate with a single type of sound....but I hated Heritage

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #7,964 of 29,680
Quote:
Never would be fine with me, I thought Heritage was an abomination. My favourite Opeth is Blackwater Park although I like most of their catalogue....Heritage was just so far from what I like in metal and to me wasn't Opeth any more. To each their own and its cool to see bands evolve rather than stagnate with a single type of sound....but I hated Heritage

I'm hearing horrors about Heritage in here
tongue_smile.gif
 . Just makes me want to stay away even more that I've had.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #7,965 of 29,680
Heritage is not an abomination. In fact, it was my favorite record from 2011. I started listening to Prog Rock and Prog Metal more after that album. 

Incidentally, it was the first Opeth album I listened to, maybe that is why I don't hate it as you guys do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back