Lets Talk Metal
Dec 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #7,892 of 29,690
Last night I got to see Vomitor from Australia, killer band, currently on tour in the usa, go see them if you get the chance!  I believe the lead guitarist and drummer are also in Portal, at least that's what someone told me last night, so there's that.  Awesome classic death/thrash!

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #7,893 of 29,690
I am planning to take the following signboard to the Periphery gig next week and stand in the front row.. Just for fun!!

ANGRY METAL GUY HATES YOU MISHA :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #7,894 of 29,690
So i think its about that time. I couldnt narrow it down to a top 10, but i managed a top 15. And this is all pre looking at other top 10 lists to see what ive missed. So just a list of the cds i discovered throughout the year. I think i might do another later, for the CDs i discover from looking at the lists, cuase i have already realized i have missed quite a few awesome albums.

Any to start it off at number 15

15. The Safety Fire - Grind the Ocean

14. Meshuggah - Koloss

13. Seven Kingdoms - The Fire is Mine

12. Deftones - Koi No Yokan

11. Soen - Cognitive

10. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

9. Be'Lakor - Of Breath and Bone

8. Between the Burried and Me - The Parallax II: Future Sleep

7. Allegaeon - Formshifter

6. Kreator - Phantom Antichrist

5. Art by Numbers - Reticence: The Musical

4. Hypno5e - Acid Mist Tomorrow

3. Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

2. Chevelle - Hats Off to the Bull (yes i realize this came out at the end of last year, but i didnt start listening to it till this year, and its too damn good to not include on this list)

...and drumroll...the best metal CD of the year is

1. Katatonia - Dead End Kings

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #7,897 of 29,690
So i think its about that time. I couldnt narrow it down to a top 10, but i managed a top 15. And this is all pre looking at other top 10 lists to see what ive missed. So just a list of the cds i discovered throughout the year. I think i might do another later, for the CDs i discover from looking at the lists, cuase i have already realized i have missed quite a few awesome albums.

Any to start it off at number 15

15. The Safety Fire - Grind the Ocean

14. Meshuggah - Koloss

13. Seven Kingdoms - The Fire is Mine

12. Deftones - Koi No Yokan

11. Soen - Cognitive

10. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

9. Be'Lakor - Of Breath and Bone

8. Between the Burried and Me - The Parallax II: Future Sleep

7. Allegaeon - Formshifter

6. Kreator - Phantom Antichrist

5. Art by Numbers - Reticence: The Musical

4. Hypno5e - Acid Mist Tomorrow

3. Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

2. Chevelle - Hats Off to the Bull (yes i realize this came out at the end of last year, but i didnt start listening to it till this year, and its too damn good to not include on this list)

...and drumroll...the best metal CD of the year is

1. Katatonia - Dead End Kings

And someone called me crazy for reviewing DEKs the way I did....definitely one of the year's best...

We will be premiering our top 10 lists Xmas Eve....stay tuned...

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #7,898 of 29,690
Quote:
And someone called me crazy for reviewing DEKs the way I did....definitely one of the year's best...
We will be premiering our top 10 lists Xmas Eve....stay tuned...

oh its no contest, specially once I calculated in how much I actually listened to each cd, Katatonia ran away with it. I listened to Dead End Kings so freaking much this year. only Chevelle and Gojira were even close to as many plays

edit: and the weird part was, that you can go back and see, i wasnt that excited about it at first, but the more i listened the more i fell in love with it, as you can see in my rankings

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #7,899 of 29,690
oh its no contest, specially once I calculated in how much I actually listened to each cd, Katatonia ran away with it. I listened to Dead End Kings so freaking much this year. only Chevelle and Gojira were even close to as many plays

edit: and the weird part was, that you can go back and see, i wasnt that excited about it at first, but the more i listened the more i fell in love with it, as you can see in my rankings

I can tell you I saw them live and they are just fantastic.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #7,900 of 29,690
Quote:

My thoughts exactly !!!!

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #7,901 of 29,690

Just heard this band and I absolutely love them......

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #7,902 of 29,690
Dec 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #7,903 of 29,690
Quote:
I can read the logo.... not br00tal enough. jokes/

Not brootal at all. But reminds me of Type Of Negative and Katatonia. Weirdly pleasant.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #7,905 of 29,690
Quote:

NICE!!!

I don't know who recommended this originally, but I love it! Was that you Wrathzombie? Thanks! Very Floyd-y. 

I also received the new Preterite album Pillars of Wind.  This is a truly stunning album, and i'm suspecting i'll view it as a masterpiece after some night time critical listening (it might even be better than the awesome Menace Ruine this year)...it's not really "metal" but more metal influenced blackened folk-drone-noise with the amazingly talented singing from Genvieve of Menace Ruine.  This is my kind of music...and really doesn't fit anywhere else but the metal forum!

I've been listening to Menace Ruine for a while now but I never heard of this release. Really atmospheric and ritualistic. Love it. 

By the way! I loaded up some of the albums from my teens on the Clip+ when I was in Prague last week and totally rediscovered a band called Avrigus, gothic/doom with strong neofolk influences. Like a metal Dargaard or Arcana. Glorious yet soothing. Pure nostalgia. Lyrics are interesting as well. I used to listen to this album non stop more than a decade ago. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back