Lets Talk Metal
Nov 20, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #24,946 of 29,680
I like the new Opeth. It's not metal, that's fo sho. But still... I think it's good prog rock.

The Opeth comment was just to rile a few Opethians here 
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #24,948 of 29,680
  Can't get enough of this. It's like Gorguts and Meshuggah blending together to create this technical, brutal, dissonant, mathematical, avant-garde death metal.

https://comaclustervoid.bandcamp.com/

I tried listening to it, I think you had posted this sometime back but havent been able to get into it so far. Will try again

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #24,950 of 29,680

Ya, I have posted it before but this album blows my mind from start to finish. So need some opinions if others feel the same as me.

They're pretty good, I can 100% agree they're like a midpoint between Gorguts and Meshuggah. That one track isn't blowing me away but it's good enough for me to be curious about the full album. I admit I have no idea why they have two vocalists considering they sound the exact same. I'm also not really big into djent-y metal, in the Gorguts/Meshuggah dynamic I'd waayyyy rather the former than the latter.

I'm not averse to weird death metal, mind. I love **** like Portal, Mitochondrion, Antedeluvian, Ulcerate, 

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #24,951 of 29,680
  They're pretty good, I can 100% agree they're like a midpoint between Gorguts and Meshuggah. That one track isn't blowing me away but it's good enough for me to be curious about the full album. I admit I have no idea why they have two vocalists considering they sound the exact same. I'm also not really big into djent-y metal, in the Gorguts/Meshuggah dynamic I'd waayyyy rather the former than the latter.

I'm not averse to weird death metal, mind. I love **** like Portal, Mitochondrion, Antedeluvian, Ulcerate, 

Ya, I agreed that the two vocalists seem redundant. I'm digging djent now especially Meshuggah. I don't like Portal because the production is really weird. Very murky. I like Ulcerate though, they are like deathspell omega playing death metal. The other two I never heard.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #24,952 of 29,680
  Ya, I agreed that the two vocalists seem redundant. I'm digging djent now especially Meshuggah. I don't like Portal because the production is really weird. Very murky. I like Ulcerate though, they are like deathspell omega playing death metal. The other two I never heard.

If you're not big on Portal you probably won't dig Mitochondrion or Antediluvian much, they're very Portal-y with the sort of cavern style death metal. I'd suggest Necroblaspheme if you like weird DM, though.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #24,953 of 29,680
I think the new Opeth is pretty good when simply listened to as a progressive rock album. Pale Communion is more lush, but Sorceress is a little heavier in a rock way. It's solid enough to give a listen as long as you're honest with yourself and aren't expecting a metal album. IDK if I can do the new Metallica. I've heard a few of the tracks online. I'm just not inspired at the moment to slog through two albums worth of it.

I just picked up Darkthrone's Artic Thunder which I think is great and Bolt Thrower's Once So Loyal. Now this is some good old school metal listening today.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #24,954 of 29,680
  I think the new Opeth is pretty good when simply listened to as a progressive rock album. Pale Communion is more lush, but Sorceress is a little heavier in a rock way. It's solid enough to give a listen as long as you're honest with yourself and aren't expecting a metal album. IDK if I can do the new Metallica. I've heard a few of the tracks online. I'm just not inspired at the moment to slog through two albums worth of it.

I just picked up Darkthrone's Artic Thunder which I think is great and Bolt Thrower's Once So Loyal. Now this is some good old school metal listening today.

Opeth completely lost me when Heritage landed. They and Opeth both went down the same path of "hey remember how we got famous for our unique blend of heavier and progressive sounds? Well let's just get rid of all the cool heavy stuff and be more radio friendly!" Give me Blackwater Park and Remission any day. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #24,956 of 29,680
If you want to stream the limited edition of In Flames' new album, here ya go...but you may wish you hadn't. (Note: The tracks on this stream are mixed up. You can find where each track is in the listing below.)

0:00 In My Room
5:56 Before I Fall
9:21 Through My Eyes
13:12 Battles
16:11 Here Until Forever
20:29 Underneath My Skin
24:01 Wallflower
31:05 Save Me
35:20 Greatest Greed
39:29 Us Against the World
43:11 Drained
47:18 The End
51:16 Like Sand
55:00 The Truth

Opeth completely lost me when Heritage landed. They and Opeth both went down the same path of "hey remember how we got famous for our unique blend of heavier and progressive sounds? Well let's just get rid of all the cool heavy stuff and be more radio friendly!" Give me Blackwater Park and Remission any day. 

If it sounded more like the old acoustic passages (which were phenomenal) or Damnation, I'd be okay with it, but they changed the style to an extent that I can't even enjoy it anymore, save for a few parts...so I'm with ya there.

By the way, I've missed you! I need to go back into my email notifications and take note of albums you recommended in the past.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #24,958 of 29,680
Nov 21, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #24,959 of 29,680

For all who love dissonance :)

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #24,960 of 29,680
After giving the new In Flames a few full listens Im also pretty disappointed. It has a few decent moments as a whole it was a let down. 

I did just hear the new Korn album and feel the opposite. Definitely digging that one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back