Lets Talk Metal
Sep 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #1,846 of 29,660

Quote:

I never said Insomnium is on the radio, unless there is some metal show on some of your rock radios that is. Again, what I meant is that I think Across The Dark suffers from slight Amorphis-syndrome/amorphisication/whatever you want to call it. They are maturing, sure, but in a wrong way IMHO. (As you might guess, I dont like new Amorphis at all, early and mid-era are great though) Oh, and clean vocals in that album are terrible. But otherwise, it is a good melodeath album and Down With The Sun is one badass song. But still I find myself listening Above The Weeping World more, kinda reminds me of the golden era of In Flames.

Speaking of Amorphis, anyone checked out their new "oldschool album", where they remade some of their old classics? I actually think it fricking slays! Only thing that is severely missing are the old clean vocals. I mean, Tomi Joutsen is a great vocalist, but he lacks the same... well... cynical voice of the old vocalist that so fitted those songs so well. (was it Pasi Koskinen or something? I dont remember) Joutsen is TOO good vocalist I guess and he actually sings those clean parts, which does not exactly hit the correct spot.

I think that is a tad harsh for Across the Dark.  I believe its a strong effort none the less.

Of course, I am one of the few in this crowd that thinks In Flames Soundtrack To Your Escape is a great album all around (F(r)iend, Quiet Place, My Sweet Shadow, etc.).

On that topic, does anyone know if In Flames is done done or do I have a small chance of seeing these guys play down the road?

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #1,847 of 29,660

Quote:

I think that is a tad harsh for Across the Dark.  I believe its a strong effort none the less.

Of course, I am one of the few in this crowd that thinks In Flames Soundtrack To Your Escape is a great album all around (F(r)iend, Quiet Place, My Sweet Shadow, etc.).

On that topic, does anyone know if In Flames is done done or do I have a small chance of seeing these guys play down the road?

Maybe, but again its not BAD album. I have listened it plenty at home and in my car, and still do.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #1,848 of 29,660

Quote:

I've never heard Insomnium when I turn on the radio, that's for sure. Usually it's 10,000 idential whiny emo crap bands in a row. Be'lakor have gotten very good considering they are only on album two. I'm expecting great things from them, but I don't think they are quite on Insomnium or In Mourning's level yet.

Totally agree.

I am surprised you haven't mentioned Omnium Gatherum in any of your posts.  They have some real beauties....

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #1,849 of 29,660

Quote:

Lol. As I've stated before, you'll get no agreement from me there. I got rid of everything I had post Clayman, never listened to any of it. I thought A Sense Of Purpose was ok when I first heard it, but I went back and listened to it again recently and it really is terrible. There's been no announcement from the band other than that Jesper left. I'm not sure what the future is for them, but they've had several guest tour and sessions guitarists before, so I'm sure they'll just find somebody and put out another mediocre album somewhere down the line. Not to be harsh, but I just have no interest in them anymore. They will not manage a Panic Broadcast style turn around, I'm quite sure of that.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #1,850 of 29,660

Quote:
Lol. As I've stated before, you'll get no agreement from me there. I got rid of everything I had post Clayman, never listened to any of it. I thought A Sense Of Purpose was ok when I first heard it, but I went back and listened to it again recently and it really is terrible. There's been no announcement from the band other than that Jesper left. I'm not sure what the future is for them, but they've had several guest tour and sessions guitarists before, so I'm sure they'll just find somebody and put out another mediocre album somewhere down the line. Not to be harsh, but I just have no interest in them anymore. They will not manage a Panic Broadcast style turn around, I'm quite sure of that.

So harsh dude.  So harsh.  I hope you are wrong (I think a part of you does too!). 

Hey, I can hope for a Jesper reunion tour I suppose (I doubt he is completely done with In Flames).

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #1,851 of 29,660

Quote:
So harsh dude.  So harsh.  I hope you are wrong (I think a part of you does too!).   
Hey, I can hope for a Jesper reunion tour I suppose (I doubt he is completely done with In Flames).

At this point, I think expecting another Jester Race, Whoracle, or Colony out of In Flames is like expecting Master Of Puppets 2 from Metallica. It's just not going to happen, and it's better to just move on than be disappointed again and again. Jesper left to get treatment for alcoholism rather than creative differences with the band, so there's definitely a possibility that he'll be back.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #1,852 of 29,660

Quote:
N is not a great album to get into Norther with, as it's pretty much their worst. Even Till Death Unites Us was way better. If you want to hear Norther at their best, listen to Mirror of Madness or Death Unlimited. I'm hoping that with Petri gone, they will take the time to remember what made their early albums so good. Norther is at a Kalmah style crossroads, and I hope they don't follow down the path to mediocrity. I hope Aleksi has the vocal chops too. I'd hate to see another Scar Symmetry type disaster.

Just shows how different tastes people have, (but that's good) I didn't like any of those albums as much.

About Insomnium, in my opinion they cannot "Amorphisicate" (Actually, that isn't such a bad term I think) since they never had the kind of balls Amorphis did early on.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #1,853 of 29,660

Quote:

About Insomnium, in my opinion they cannot "Amorphisicate" (Actually, that isn't such a bad term I think) since they never had the kind of balls Amorphis did early on.

Hah! Good point.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #1,854 of 29,660
I'm listening to the last Cult of Luna, not bad but lacks the ultimate layer of refinement compared to the mighty ISIS they're trying hard to emulate. Like many post metal bands they have some powerful heavy riffing, but the quiet parts seem pieced together at random to form a song structure which fits in the genre "guidelines", lacking in creativity and coherence.

At least production is very good and my copy includes a live DVD which is of really top notch quality in both audio and video.

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #1,855 of 29,660
Curious if you guys have heard Abrahadabra yet. I just picked it up, and it's surprisingly enjoyable. The direction the band was headed in with the last record was getting pretty stale, but the sound here is fresh and invigorated. Is it another Enthrone Darkness, no, but it's a great album, stupid name or no.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #1,856 of 29,660
Just got back from seeing The Black Dahlia Murder in columbus, arkaik and goatwhore opened for them. Arkaik was super generic i thought, and goatwhore was better than i was expecting. but black dahlia murder was freakin sick! and it was a tiny little bar of a venue. great show overall

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #1,857 of 29,660
Went to see Dark Tranquillity and Insomnium last monday since they put me on the guestlist. Insomnium were so radiofriendly, with their uplifting happy melodies and easy tunes, that I thought I walked into the wrong venue and ended up at a Helloween gig. They were pretty tight though and it all seemed pretty professional. They were clean shaven and their hair was shiny from the herbal shampoo they probably carry around everywhere they go. I actually think my mom might like 'em. Just utterly inoffensive and pleasant.

Dark Tranquillity suffered from the awkward performance from Mikael. He would look great performing with Anathema or a bluesy hippy band but I think he looks very out of place at a metal gig. Too much rockstar moves, too much winking at the girls in front and not enough aggression or visceral impact. His vocals sounded forced as well and when they played tracks from "The Mind's I" and "The Gallery" they looked like a DT-coverband. They did have some cool visuals and used 4 beamers. Flashy. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #1,858 of 29,660

Quote:
Dark Tranquillity suffered from the awkward performance from Mikael. He would look great performing with Anathema or a bluesy hippy band but I think he looks very out of place at a metal gig. Too much rockstar moves, too much winking at the girls in front and not enough aggression or visceral impact. His vocals sounded forced as well and when they played tracks from "The Mind's I" and "The Gallery" they looked like a DT-coverband. They did have some cool visuals and used 4 beamers. Flashy. 

I've seen Dark Tranquillity a couple of times and Mikael is always like that. Tiring just to look at 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #1,859 of 29,660
Yes. Jury is still not finished though. So far this is DEFINETLY a HUGE improvement over In Sorte Diaboli. But then again In Sorte Diaboli was complete piece of crap so its not a huge feat.
smily_headphones1.gif
But how much bigger improvement, I dont know. It probaply ends up being just decent average, my inability to decide indicates to that.

Quote:
Curious if you guys have heard Abrahadabra yet. I just picked it up, and it's surprisingly enjoyable. The direction the band was headed in with the last record was getting pretty stale, but the sound here is fresh and invigorated. Is it another Enthrone Darkness, no, but it's a great album, stupid name or no.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #1,860 of 29,660
Quote:

No,  but I watched the new video of the song "Gateways". Didn't care for it that much, and it was kind of weird. Is the rest of the album similar? I really haven't been keeping up with the band, I mainly like their older stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back