Lets Talk Metal
Jan 11, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #17,371 of 29,662
The new Marduk album is....a Marduk album.
Feels like they put out the same album out again and again since Mortuus joined.

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #17,372 of 29,662
The new Marduk album is....a Marduk album.

Feels like they put out the same album out again and again since Mortuus joined.

They all sound very different to me? Have not heard 2015's release. 2009's Wormwood sounds more modern and smooth than something like the first Mortuus album "Plague Angel" from 2004. Just my humble opinion.

Because they are getting back to a WW2 theme, I would think it may be fast?

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #17,373 of 29,662
They all sound very different to me? Have not heard 2015's release. 2009's Wormwood sounds more modern and smooth than something like the first Mortuus album "Plague Angel" from 2004. Just my humble opinion.

Because they are getting back to a WW2 theme, I would think it may be fast?

Love Marduk. I thought all of the Mortis albums were distinct and unique up until Serpent Sermon where maybe they started to repeat themselves. It will be interesting to hear if the follow up to SS will be more of the same or if they will stay vital.....JMO

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #17,374 of 29,662
Love Marduk. I thought all of the Mortis albums were distinct and unique up until Serpent Sermon where maybe they started to repeat themselves. It will be interesting to hear if the follow up to SS will be more of the same or if they will stay vital.....JMO

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BSskxwnpgnE
You could have a point there. The place I have started to wonder was the Iron Dawn EP forward. Again, they made a comeback with 2004s Plague Angel and kept it going. Many think it's a great improvement over 2003s World Funeral.

And I may sound like a broken record but Wormwood is everything I could ever ask for with a Marduk album. It's experimental, the sound is awesome (that bass track!), every song is perfect and goes together like a package. At times Marduk has been so fierce that the music was beyond comprehension? IMO Iron Dawn was like that.

Still they are amazing that they are still together. They have a long history and loyal fanbase. But we all know when a new album just doesn't click and is missing something. It can happen to any band. Making great records is not a simple formula even though some very few bands seem to understand that secret formula.

I have searched out and own maybe all but two Marduk albums on CD. I have all the live CDs, I think there are three? I have the DVDs and the Blackcrown Box set. Still I was not the biggest fan of their last album?

The thing with them is that you have to go back and listen. Something they do may not sound good till a year later?

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #17,375 of 29,662

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BSskxwnpgnE
You could have a point there. The place I have started to wonder was the Iron Dawn EP forward. Again, they made a comeback with 2004s Plague Angel and kept it going. Many think it's a great improvement over 2003s World Funeral.

And I may sound like a broken record but Wormwood is everything I could ever ask for with a Marduk album. It's experimental, the sound is awesome (that bass track!), every song is perfect and goes together like a package. At times Marduk has been so fierce that the music was beyond comprehension? IMO Iron Dawn was like that.

Still they are amazing that they are still together. They have a long history and loyal fanbase. But we all know when a new album just doesn't click and is missing something. It can happen to any band. Making great records is not a simple formula even though some very few bands seem to understand that secret formula.

I have searched out and own maybe all but two Marduk albums on CD. I have all the live CDs, I think there are three? I have the DVDs and the Blackcrown Box set. Still I was not the biggest fan of their last album?

The thing with them is that you have to go back and listen. Something they do may not sound good till a year later?

That's a great overview! I'm mostly familiar with the Mortis era. I think he's such an overwhelming front man, I didn't  go to their back catalog. Plague Angel was my first and it's such a vicious album. I agree Wormwood is excellent. Rom 5:12 is also really strong. I haven't heard a lot of their earlier before La Grande Danse Macabre which I wasn't crazy about.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #17,376 of 29,662
http://media.nuclearblast.de/bands/events/sylosis/index.html

A few folks were not as hyped-up with the last Sylosis record. This new one ( streaming in full above ) sees the band return to an early form?

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #17,378 of 29,662
Still my favorite Marduk album :|

That seems to be a grand favorite among many from the early period.

I was holding the Regain 2008 remaster with bonus DVD in my hands today and almost played it!

Maybe better than the original release, I never heard the original?

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #17,379 of 29,662
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YZh4Z5YWmAE

This 2000 live release ends up being my favorite live Marduk. Actually pretty good sound for the era?

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #17,380 of 29,662
Perhaps my strangest 2014 find: Quote from from Allmusic.com:

In much the same way that the Soft Pink Truth was conceived on a dare, the concept for the project's third album came about while Drew Daniel was working on Matmos' The Marriage of True Minds. That album's cover of the Buzzcocks' "E.S.P.," which featured doom metal vocals courtesy of Bloody Panda's Gerry Mak, motivated Daniel to examine his love-hate relationship with black metal. A fan of the style's intricate, punishing sonics but not so much its homophobic history, Why Do the Heathen Rage? is Daniel's attempt to resolve loving black metal's aesthetics and hating its politics by giving some of the style's definitive moments house and techno transformations.

Somehow, Daniel manages to remain true to the spirit of black metal and dance music and combine them in ways that fit each song, whether it's the way that "Satanic Black Devotion"'s IDM rhythms evoke a mutation of double kickdrums or the dazzling collage of plunderphonics, house divas, vocoders, a vogue ball crew, and screaming that used to be Darkthrone's "Beholding the Throne of Might." While the audience for this particular juxtaposition of styles might be more limited than either of the Soft Pink Truth's previous albums, Why Do the Heathen Rage? is brilliantly executed. Equally critical and affectionate and entirely fascinating, it's some of Daniel's most personal music.

Controversial, BM sacrilege or not,  Soft Pink Truth is provocative and interesting

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #17,381 of 29,662
Soft pink truth, I forgot about that one! It's weird, I really like a few tracks but the style of electronic isn't really my favorite on most of them. It's worth owning as a really unique piece...I really feel that the concept of the album is extremely black metal (non conformity and stuff)

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #17,382 of 29,662
We almost need a new category for these experimental albums that are metal related but aren't exactly metal albums like Soft Pink Truth and Soused. Some pretty interesting off beat albums.

then, all of those albums like Solstafir and Opeth or the new Earth album that have a relationship to metal don't fit in exactly.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #17,383 of 29,662
Re previous conv-Marduk are very good
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #17,384 of 29,662
I friggin love this song.
Has one of the coolest videos I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back