Let's talk about this ultimare iOS equalizer/player called Accudio...
Apr 19, 2013 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wnmnkh

Headphoneus Supremus

There is an another post on Portable Source Gear subforum (http://www.head-fi.org/t/644688/the-accudio-app-by-golden-ears-a-headphone-revolution), but I feel we need to talk about this for more engineering/scientific sides here.

RIght now I can't test this app extensively, since I am out of the town and having only K551, T1, LCD-2 and Beyer DT 990, but my impression isn't that great.

What bothers me most is that because there are differences in each drivers, there is really no way to make clean flat frequency with just using some sampled measurements. I am sure you guys visited Tyll's site once, and realize even Audeze's LCD series, which is quite consistent in terms of driver quality these days, has some good variance in frequency response.

Otherwise, at least it is refreshing to see people trying to use those measurements into something actually useful. Android version is in works (for a year, lol).... it would be great since most of Androids support OTG for external portable dacs.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

There is an another post on Portable Source Gear subforum (http://www.head-fi.org/t/644688/the-accudio-app-by-golden-ears-a-headphone-revolution), but I feel we need to talk about this for more engineering/scientific sides here.

RIght now I can't test this app extensively, since I am out of the town and having only K551, T1, LCD-2 and Beyer DT 990, but my impression isn't that great.

What bothers me most is that because there are differences in each drivers, there is really no way to make clean flat frequency with just using some sampled measurements. I am sure you guys visited Tyll's site once, and realize even Audeze's LCD series, which is quite consistent in terms of driver quality these days, has some good variance in frequency response.

Otherwise, at least it is refreshing to see people trying to use those measurements into something actually useful. Android version is in works (for a year, lol).... it would be great since most of Androids support OTG for external portable dacs.

Differences in drivers are small, overall response variations are huge.  You can solve the big problems with Accudio and the small ones won't bother you.  

I've tried Accudio, A3D, and Audyssey "amp".  A3D is interesting, but I can't seem to live with the out of head processing for everything.  Nice on some stuff, annoying on others.  I almost always prefer the non-processed version, though.  And the selection of headphones in A3D is pretty limited.  I prefer the eq in Audyssey "amp" over Accudio.  It seems more accurate, and nails every problem I've always had with my headphones.  Not that it matters much, but it's cheaper too.  My "free" Accudio mysteriously ended up with an "invalid license" error.  Not worth my time to try to fix it.

However, one odd observation:  The initial impression of precision headphone EQ in my case is "WOW! That's perfect, and wonderful!"  It's addictive.  But these things aren't available as plug-ins, so if you want to listen on your computer and not your smart phone or tablet, you're back to barefoot headphone performance.  Sort of like someone yanking a rug out from under you.  

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 7
Good to see some people try to push this type of technology anyway. I've used similar methods to great advantage - and will love to see much more people realize in time the same for themselves.

May 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
   However, one odd observation:  The initial impression of precision headphone EQ in my case is "WOW! That's perfect, and wonderful!"  It's addictive.  But these things aren't available as plug-ins, so if you want to listen on your computer and not your smart phone or tablet, you're back to barefoot headphone performance.  Sort of like someone yanking a rug out from under you.  

I only wish a plugin for this would happen...

May 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Been requested.

Aw, you beat me to it. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back