Leopard 3D dock bothering you?
Oct 28, 2007 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sisenor

500+ Head-Fier
In terminal, type these two lines:

defaults write com.apple.Dock no-glass -boolean YES
killall Dock

This won't give you the Tiger dock, what it will do is give you the Leopard left/right screen position dock but on the bottom. To get back to the default 3D dock, just replace the 'YES' above with 'NO' and follow with the second line.

This really made my night, I wasn't at all impressed with the new dock. Credit goes to a post on macupdate..

latuh

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 18
Ok great thanks, is there any way to disable the transparency of the menu bar ?

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 18
Not the least.
I think it looks great, and prefer its over the 10.4 dock...

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not the least.
I think it looks great, and prefer its over the 10.4 dock...

Well, that's what I thought too, until I used it myself...have you used it?

It's not horrible, it just really could have been done better IMO.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that's what I thought too, until I used it myself...have you used it?

Yes, I have been running Leopard for more than one month (don't ask!
tongue.gif
).
It was strange/different in the beginning, but I have now fully settled with it and enjoy the new look.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I have been running Leopard for more than one month (don't ask!
tongue.gif
).
It was strange/different in the beginning, but I have now fully settled with it and enjoy the new look.

I just think the drop shadows are pretty bad
+ the wave thing on the dock floor adds to this excess
+ it doesn't handle a large quantity of icons as well as the old dock did (and I usually have a bunch of icons)
+ when I invoke dashboard with the 3D dock visible, the dashboard animation is choppy
+ the new running application designator (the little blue lights instead of the small black triangle) are cheesy
+ it is very dependent on your desktop picture

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 18
Did the install yesterday... doesn't bother me.

Anyone here running Parallels? Mine kind of runs a little clunky since the upgrade to Leopard.

Noticed that Onyx won't work. I bet Applejack probably won't either. Was able to transfer everything from my Carbon Copy Cloner over and works fine. Went ahead and ran Time Machine onto another partition. Took about an hour to copy 84 gigs over.

Oct 28, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terminal, type these two lines:

defaults write com.apple.Dock no-glass -boolean YES
killall Dock

This won't give you the Tiger dock, what it will do is give you the Leopard left/right screen position dock but on the bottom. To get back to the default 3D dock, just replace the 'YES' above with 'NO' and follow with the second line.

This really made my night, I wasn't at all impressed with the new dock. Credit goes to a post on macupdate..

latuh

I sorta like the glass dock. It wasn't amazing but not bad. The blue orbs is truly what I love. They should be bigger though. This dock is pimp, Im goin have a hard time choosing. Thanks for the tip though! It should really be a system preference. I hate how Apple tries to hide everything they don't think we can handle.

Oct 28, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 18
I like the way the new dock looks, not realll special but it looks nice, only I have my dock at the left of my screen because of Photoshop and the glass-thingy doesn't work then!

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 18
I thought I'd hate it but I really don't have a problem with it. I'm glad that windows still respect the Dock's space, even if it is an invisible border now with the 3D dock. I'm more upset about the menubar, which looks very flat and boring with my favorite desktop picture, and Stacks, which I'm not totally sold on yet. Being able to drag things out from them is great, but I miss being able to get to anything through the contextual menu.

Apparently the new version of CandyBar will offer Dock skinning. It should be cool to see what people come up with.

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the way the new dock looks, not realll special but it looks nice, only I have my dock at the left of my screen because of Photoshop and the glass-thingy doesn't work then!

You keep it on the left because of Photoshop? I keep mine on the bottom because of Photoshop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back