Lenovo Thinkpad X Series Appreciation Thread
Mar 26, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #31 of 48
Got my X200 today.
Just spend an hour or so on it so far. I like the light weight and the small size, even if I have to get used to the small 12" screen. Have a 22" widescreen at work, but on the road I need to live with the smaller screen estate.

I feels snappier than my previous T60. But thats no surprise considering it has a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, compared to the 2.0GHz Core Duo.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #32 of 48
I'm rather liking my X200 Tablet.

I'm disappointed that the Touch is so essentially worthless (If it was either more sensitive OR supported multi-touch, I'd take it, but since it does neither it has no value to me).

I'm also VERY disappointed in Lenovo's drivers - they do a lot of things like audio buttons/muting in software that other manufacturers like Dell do in Hardware (or better-supported software), REQUIRING me to install their bloatware to have a usable system. Also, the graphics drivers have some serious issues with Win7 (it's not hardware because it works fine in Vista).

Past that, however, performance is excellent, battery life is tablet, and I rather like the machine.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #34 of 48
dsc041877837780cn5.jpg

My oldie...PIII :p

May 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #36 of 48
^ Welcome!
The X200 is quite nice indeed. I am well pleased with mine...

May 9, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #37 of 48
When I can't bother to drag "my" W500 from work, I usually bring home an x61s. It's a really nice piece of machine. Great keyboard, fast enough, pretty much silent, does not get very hot ... love it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I kind of like the lack of touchpad. I never use it anyways.

May 17, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #38 of 48
i <3 my x61 tablet... its been dropped, sat on, rained on (more than once lol), left outside for days, all sorts of things you should never do to a laptop, and it keeps working just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #39 of 48
I'm very envious ... I really would like something like X200 - it has the specs and weight that I am looking for. Am trying to save up for a new notebook but never seem to get there.

May 17, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very envious ... I really would like something like X200 - it has the specs and weight that I am looking for. Am trying to save up for a new notebook but never seem to get there.

check out lenovos outlet store... you can sometimes get some awesome deals in there... you dont really get to customize the machine, but hey, you can save some serious $$$

Lenovo Outlet

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #43 of 48
We need current 2015 opinions on this machine. Is the lack of reviews indicative of a laptop past its prime? Or is this the wrong place for it? And, that trackpoint where the trackpad is usually placed is an ancient piece of technology I don't even recognize.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #44 of 48
We need current 2015 opinions on this machine. Is the lack of reviews indicative of a laptop past its prime? Or is this the wrong place for it? And, that trackpoint where the trackpad is usually placed is an ancient piece of technology I don't even recognize.

On what machine? I have several X61 non-tablet as well as a X201. I use any of them every day. I don't use the X61 if I need a lot of processing power, doing a lot of things at once or just if XGA resolution is too much of a pain to deal with.

The lack of reviews is probably because there's nothing new to say. Everyone that has one loves theirs and isn't giving it up!

Most of the time I'm using my laptop, it's just browser, email and PuTTY (SSH). So long as I don't load up the browser with dozens of tabs of stuff the X61 with a SSD is a great machine to be using. Both X61's only have 2GB RAM in each, I believe. one might have 4GB.

I used to use my X201 every day but I use it less frequently now. I use the X61's more than the X201 actually. I'd say the vast majority of my computing I do on a T420 (8GB RAM, 512GB mSATA and 2TB HD in the drive bay), and the rest happens on one of my X series. If I'm traveling anywhere, I only take an X series with me.

Before I had my T420, I had a X220 with an IPS as well as mSATA+HD configuration. That was a killer machine. I wish I still had it sometimes. I don't really miss it because I have three other X series machines I love but if I was traveling as much as I used to I probably would still have it. I use my T420 as my main machine at home since it mostly stays plugged in and is bigger. I built three towers since I got my T420 but ended up selling all three because I just like using my T420 more... if anything happens to it I'll get a newer T-series.

For a long time I had a X61 dedicated in my studio to recording with an audio interface which had a CardBus/PCMCIA connection interface. That X61 rarely gets used anymore but it has a lot of sentimental value so I try to keep it safe, which means not using it as a toss-around laptop :wink:

If you like the X200, there's no reason not to upgrade to an X201. The improvement is immense and an X201 can be had very cheap. I've had mine for 2 or 3 years and paid $115 for it then.

Fun fact about the X201: It's the only post-C2D machine I know of with better XP drivers than Windows 7 64 drivers. IIRC with the X201 the webcam drivers for 7 were broken, built into 8, but the XP drivers worked perfectly... works well for me as I still like to run XP.

I used to have a T61p as a backup XP machine, that got destroyed and replaced by yet another X61, eventually I picked up another T61 widescreen on the cheap but sold that to a friend recently for what I paid for it as his Chromebook died and he had no other machines.

P.S. Trackpoints are life. Trackpoints are love. You get used to it and you'll never want to use a mouse again. It may be an old design but it's never changed because it's a damn good one. In fact I blame Dell for Trackpoints going out of style: they ripped off the Thinkpad trackpoint and made it a huge pain in the butt to use (they've all been incredibly stiff and non responsive and generally just miserable to use, whereas every Thinkpad trackpoint i've used has been easy and painless). I'm obviously biased but if you're considering an X series all you need to know is as soon as you use it, you won't miss that trackpad.

P.P.S. I didn't realize when I replied last to this thread, the thread had been bumped 6 and a half years! Incredible necrobump @Ali Reyes! to answer your question, i've never seen a laptop with -good- onboard sound, thinkpad is nothing great but at least there's not noticeable noise like certain Dell or other cheap laptops. definitely get a USB DAC... ALL laptop integrated audio is bad.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #45 of 48
I just got Lenovo Thinkpad X140e recently and I found it affordable in terms of the performance that it's giving to me. This computer is nothing less than money well spent. The X140e is a perfect mobile laptop to add to your arsenal. It will keep you working even on the go. The 20BL000BUS has an AMD quad core processor that gives you the power to multitask just about anywhere. This 11.6" notebook pc is rugged and ready, with reinforcements inside and out. It was built to military specifications, but it's meant to endure an even more demanding user. I decided to buy this because of good reviews I read at http://www.engadget.com/ http://www.laptoprunner.com/ and http://www.cnet.com/. This little laptop is a beast for its size and price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back