Lehmann Linear with Sennheiser HD 650
Aug 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BadMagic

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if something is wrong.

I've got an M-Audio ProFire 2626 audio interface connected to my computer. The 2626 feeds into my Presonus Central station.

I just recently bought some Sennheiser HD 650's and a Lehmann Linear headphone amp but the problem is, no matter where I connect the Lehmann to, I have to turn it up past 50% just to get decent listening volume. I'm more into quality of sound than volume but even for me, this is too soft. I've turned the volume up on the media player (J. Rivers Media Center) as high as I can so the meter on the Central Station doesn't peak. Is there a fault somwhere? Am I supposed to be getting higher vollume?

At the moment, I'm running the Lehmann out of the Main Output from the Central Station. Am I connecting it up incorrectly? Some shop assistants have told me to connect it up to the headphone output but that sounds dangerous to me. I don't want to blow up the Linear. Has anyone got any advice?

Regards,
Steve (BM)

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't know what the linear is like exactly, but I know that there is a huge difference in volume with my Rhinelander and HD650 combo when I put in the jumpers. Doesn't the linear have some variable gain options? Other than that i'm not really sure as sennheiser recommends using the HD 650 with the linear so in theory, unless something is wrong it should work fine.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply. I solve the problem by putting a Rega DAC in-between the ProFire 2626 and the Lehmann amp. Works well now even with the Lehmann dip switches set to 0dB.

Now I have a new issue. The Rega DAC stutters when I play 192KHz 24 bit files but that's a different issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back