Lehmann Black Cube Linear Headphone Amp USB?
Aug 11, 2005 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BillC

Headphoneus Supremus
I just saw a review that included the Lehmann Black Cube Linear Headphone Amp. I didn't know much about that amp so I was poking around with searches and saw some mentions of an upcoming version to include a USB connected DAC. Anyone know anything about Lehmann's progress on this? I'm looking for a DAC to connect to my PC and am interested in my alternatives.

Thanks.

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi BillC,

I take the opportunity to answer directly:

The Black Cube Linear USB is in the final Beta stadium. First I just wanted a plain USB DAC to be combined with the Black Cube Linear. Then I finally decided to take the Chip's USB OK Signal to automatically switch between an additional Line input (will be 3.5mm stereo) and the USB input. Right now we're just looking which 3.5mm jack to use as the board is mainly SMD.

So finally the Black Cube Linear will be a two input headphone amplifier with the line output (=preamp) function still available. And you can leave any analog source connected all the time as the inputs will be switched automatically.

Kind regards

Norbert Lehmann

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 13
This is the year of the USB/DAC.
280smile.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by norbert:lehmann
Hi BillC,

I take the opportunity to answer directly:

The Black Cube Linear USB is in the final Beta stadium. First I just wanted a plain USB DAC to be combined with the Black Cube Linear. Then I finally decided to take the Chip's USB OK Signal to automatically switch between an additional Line input (will be 3.5mm stereo) and the USB input. Right now we're just looking which 3.5mm jack to use as the board is mainly SMD.

So finally the Black Cube Linear will be a two input headphone amplifier with the line output (=preamp) function still available. And you can leave any analog source connected all the time as the inputs will be switched automatically.

Kind regards

Norbert Lehmann

Dear Mr. Lehmann,

Let me say that that I simply love your headphone amp. It is fantastic.

Then allow me to remind you that you also have even another new version of the Lehmann Black Cube linear - the one with balanced outputs - just in case you forgot about it (LOL).

http://www.headphone-amplifier.com/information.htm

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 13
Norbert,

It's very nice to get a reply directly from you. Glad to hear that the USB product is movingly along nicely. Given the glowing reports on the Black Cube Linear Amp I'm intrigued about the addition of a DAC. Any additional information you could share about the DAC stage itself would be welcomed.

Also a time for release and how many pennies I should save?
icon10.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 13
Mr. Lehmann, I also think your amp is fantastic.

I can't wait for the USB version. It'll be great to use it with a notebook PC.

Do owners of the current amp get a discount on the USB version?
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm really happy to see these kinds of products coming out. The Computer-as-Source at home is only going to pick up speed, and having a usb option makes sense for alot of folks who have tons of USB cables lying about, ready to have their stock soundcard DACs bypassed in favor of an external DAC/Amp option.

I'm still happy with my 0404 DAC and Solo amp combo, but the day of the 2-in-1 having home dominance is coming soon, I'll be the first to admit!

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 13
norbert:lehmann,

very nice of you to divulge some extra information here.

Could you also shed a little light on the DAC implementation?

- does it use async resampling?
- can the device use an USB driver to bypass kMixer (in Windows)

I think most want to know if it's an headphone amp with a DAC added in, or a DAC with an added headphone amp.

Or truly what everybody wants: a full fledged USB DAC with a no-compromise headphone amp (in the price range it sells for).

Thanks for any info!

Aug 13, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 13
Hi together,

thank you for your interest. I'm feeling kinda watched... Here's some more info on the Black Cube USB as requested.

The units itself is a complete Black Cube Linear plus an added USB DAC board. DAC chip PCM2702 which is BBs flagship USB chip. Separate voltage regulation with LT regulators. Bypassing partly with polymer electrolytics. USB port is used for data transfer only not for power supply. USB 1.0 and higher can be used. DAC works with sample rates up to 48 kHz. No resampling implemented. Additional passive LC filter. Final price has not been fixed yet because I still wait for assembly offer for the DAC board (SMD).
BTW: All assembly is done in Germany. Boards (all double sided) and special parts (case, face plate, knob) also are made in Germany.

Sub desk mounting kits for this line of Black Cube products (headphone amps, power amps, phono preamps) will be available.

The Black Cube Linear USB has already been auditioned and approved by selected listeners. Performance is satisfactory in a way that the audio design has been finalized. Please watch known websites for further progress.

Be sure that I make appropriate noise whe the unit is waiting on pallets to reach the market :wink:

@drarthurwells

The Black Cube Linear Pro you mention does not have balanced outputs but balanced inputs for professional studio environments. Because there's no space left due to the XLR's size there is _no_ line out which means this is a pure headphone amp without preamp function. The Pro version will not be available through Hifi stores but through pro audio retailers or directly.

Just trying to get back to Cologne from Southampton but BA is on strike. So I will be around here until tomorrow. Most probably I will not have the opportunity to be online until Monday.

Kind regards to all of you

Norbert

Dec 21, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back