Lee Morgan CD recommendations
Jan 6, 2007 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jules650

500+ Head-Fier
I've been listening to Moanin and I really like Lee Morgan's playing. Was wondering if anyone has any further recommendations i.e. other Jazz Messengers' recordings or his solo work. Thanks.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 10
Of course, The Sidewinder.

I also have and enjoy Sonic Boom, Lee-way, Live At The Lighthouse, Candy, Cornbread and The Gigolo.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 10
My favourite Mogie disc (apart from The Sidewinder which boogies like a b*stard) is The Procrastinator. It's quite late in his Blue Note work and features a stellar ensemble; Wayne Shorter, Bobby Hutcherson and Billy Higgins. The album bristles from start to finish.
Another good one with Morgan as leader is The Gigolo again with Higgins and Shorter.
As a sideman he's great on Moanin' but also is in top form on Evolution by Grachan Moncur; a bit more abstract but with shimmering post/free bop.
Andrew Hill's funkiest effort Grass Roots is a riot especially the alternate track; again featuring Morgan.
Also check out Shorter's Blue Note debut, Night Dreamer which has McCoy Tyner in top form on piano.
Really with Morgan and Blue Note you can't go wrong!
Have fun!

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 10
There are a few versions of the Sidewinder CD on Amazon. One's the RVG remaster and there's one from Blue Note Japan. Which one should I go for? Cheers.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 10
I have the original McMaster and the RVG from the first batch. The Japanese BN would be, I think, superior to both of these. Go for it!

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 10
By the way Jules, just noticed you're from Manchester. Do Polar Bear records have a load of used BN stuff in stock still? Or is there a Fopp near you? The latter is the place to find cheap BNs in this country.

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way Jules, just noticed you're from Manchester. Do Polar Bear records have a load of used BN stuff in stock still? Or is there a Fopp near you? The latter is the place to find cheap BNs in this country.

Fopp happens to be one of my favourite places. I've not been in Polar Bear records much recently but I'll have a look there too. Thanks for the tip! I tend to shop mostly at Amazon because of the price (and because I'm lazy).

edit: Just noticed the Japanese edition goes for 25 British clams. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...742371-0170057
I think I'll get the RVG remaster.

edit: Just went to have a look at Polar Bear Records and it appears to have shut down. Oh well..

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 10
another nod to The Sidewinder. That is just a 100% must.

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 10
Good, worthwhile quest that you're on.

I have a pretty deep collection of Lee Morgan and would really recommend the recordings with the Messengers. I think the performances by both Lee and the others are a notch above the LPs done under Lee's name. If possible get the newly remastered versions of anything you buy because unless you have crossfeed they aren't the most satisfying recordings for headphones. Also, if you are buying used vinyl, be sure you're getting stereo - there are mono versions of just about all his stuff.

Here is my favorite, really one of the best sextets *ever* and for me truly desert island stuff:
y6lcko

Also check out AB&JM's "Like Someone In Love" which is likewise great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back