Leave your amp on till the end of time?
May 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
If you leave your computer on 24/7 the only damage is the fans and the bearings. If you leave your tv on 24/7 you wear out the tube, and the super hot spots on the horizontal and vertical transistor solder joints.

So if i have a cool running non tube headphone amp with a regulated powersupply (non switching) is it fine to just leave it on all the time?

May 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 8
I've got a Primare amp and phono stage (both SS), purchased directly from Sumiko (their US distributor). The dealers' demo equipment is always on, and they told me that you could always leave the power on if you'd like to no ill-effect on the equipment.
On my tube cd player, the manual states that you can also leave THAT as long as you like, and the only downside is that you severely shorten the lifespan of the tubes.

I personally turn my equipment off when not using it (I leave the amp and cd player in standby), though. It sounds like it should be fine, but why leave it on when you're not actually using it? I prefer to save some $$ on electricity when I can
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 8
I can only speak with my own experience. I've had my Pioneer SX1250 (solid state) on for almost two years without a problem (it's behind surge suppression, voltage regulation, line filters and battery backup).

May 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 8
Solid state equipment should be perfectly fine left on all the time.

It's actually recommended to leave a computer on depending on the situation. If there are a lot of drives the initial start-up current is hard on the power supply regulators. If the difference in ambient or case temperature is more than 20 degrees from cool down to full temp it's also recommended(for example a non-climate controlled warehouse).

May 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Even in an SS amp, most of the components have a lifespan, especially capacitors. You can keep computers running for the most part because no one really keeps a computer for much longer than 5 years. An amp on the other hand, if you run it all the time, you might have to replace a few parts every 5 years or so. Either way, you probably should turn it off just so it doesn't use power when you aren't using it. It isn't like it is hard to flip a switch and SS amps don't have a warmup time.

May 14, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even in an SS amp, most of the components have a lifespan, especially capacitors. You can keep computers running for the most part because no one really keeps a computer for much longer than 5 years. An amp on the other hand, if you run it all the time, you might have to replace a few parts every 5 years or so.

Excellent points!

May 14, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 8
I didn't bother installing a switch on my pimeta. It only draws a tiny bit of current while idle and it's probably less harmful than constantly switching it on and off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back