leatherman
Sep 1, 2003 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
I got sick of opening packages with my keys and finally ordered a Leatherman Juice XE6. I know some of you guys are into knives and such and thought maybe if this model didn't live up you could tell me in time to cancel the order.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd like to have a good knife too, but honestly, I find myself needing pliars and screwdrivers so often that I'd REALLY like to have something I could keep on me at all times.

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 19
i've got the blue juice. not sure the model number. i love it though. great product. about my 3rd leatherman variant.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: ah here it is. the cs4. tasty...

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 19
I have a leatherman that is with me on the weekends and it is invaluable. During the week I carry a small one hand opening Kershaw 1600 that I would not be without. The leatherman knife is not one that you can open in a hurry if you need to.

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 19
I have the Wave (they seem to be about the same price- MSRP and retail). Very useful, in fact used the screwdriver on tough screws my conventional set couldn't handle.

John_jcb, good point about not being the quickest opening. BTW, what kind of neighborhood is Arlington Heights?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 19
Yeah ... the "Wave" is really nice and I like the fact that you can open both knife blades (and the file and saw also) without having to open the main tool. As a matter of fact one of it's claims to fame is that you can open these four blades woth one hand only.

Handy for lots of situations if you only want to carry one tool and the belt holder works reasonably well.

Gord.

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 19
I have Gerber Multi-Plier I bought in middle school around 10 years ago. The first one got rusty because I used it to mess around in my backyard, trying to cut shrubs/trees and the stainless steel coating wore off. I took it to Target and they exchanged it for a brand new one - gotta love Target. I don't use it much now, but it's convenient in that you can open the pliers with a flick of the wrist.

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 19
I had a Leatherman Wave, which I thought was great, but I lost it a while back (maybe it will still show up...) I realized that I used the knife like 10x more than any other tool, and that the Wave was pretty heavy to carry around all the time. So I replaced it with a SOG Flash 1, which is a lot lighter because it's just a simple folding blade. Once you open it about 1/4" it has a spring that snaps the blade out the rest of the way. After a little practice, it's very easy to open (and close) one handed.

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
John_jcb, good point about not being the quickest opening. BTW, what kind of neighborhood is Arlington Heights?
very_evil_smiley.gif

A very nice suburb NW of Chicago.
wink.gif
I use the one handed feature when I find myself trying to hold something and needing a knife to open it or cut something off. This is normally due to my not thinking what I have to do before I start doing it.

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 19
Leathermans are just plain great multi-tools.

The Wave is the top-of-the-line, and overkill for most people -- I have one but rarely actually use it (mainly when we go camping). The Juice series is more for "everyday consumer" use -- the models vary mainly in the features:

matrix.jpg

I have a CS4 and a KF4 (the KF4 was on sale at Amazon for $20 a couple months ago). Unless you need an awl, the CS4 and XE6 are the "best" in terms of the most features. However, they're also the heaviest.

On the other hand, if all you need this for is opening boxes, the Squirt is a lot cheaper and will probably do everything you want:

http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/squirt.asp

Sep 1, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 19
I have a Leatherman Super Tool, really nice. A little heavy to carry around all the time, though. What I have always in my pocket is a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (3,5"long/1" thick). Won't ever leave the house without it.

Sep 1, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 19
I got someone a Wave as a gift a couple of years ago but I was shooting for something a little smaller to carry around with me all the time--hoping the Juice XE6 would fit the bill. I just hadn't heard much about these new "Juice" models so I wanted to check and make sure there was nothing wrong with them.

Sep 2, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 19
I have the Gerber shown in fractus2's post, mine has the Remington saw blade in addition to the stuff shown.

I also have a Leatherman MICRA. I use the MICRA more than the Gerber. The smaller size is way more convenient, and it's easier to get out of a pocket than the Gerber is to get out of the still newish velcro pouch.

Sep 2, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 19
I have the Micra (in blue) on my key chain and keep an original Leatherman (got it 6 years ago) in a drawer within easy reach of my desk.

Both have proven invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back