Leather ear pad for Ultrasone PRO 900s...
May 10, 2010 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Priyajeet

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone know or have bought ear pads for ultrasone pro 900 that are not velvet?
Ultrasone website sells leather ones, but it doesn't list them for the 900s.

May 10, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 28
Well like i mentioned above, those aren't listed for pro 900s.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/42101+-+Earpad+-+Artificial+leather+-+Black/part_number=42101/756.0.1.1.56.56506.28016.0.0?

Black artificial leather earpad for PRO 550 / PRO 650 / DJ1 PRO / Proline 550 / Proline 650

May 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 28
Pro 900 uses thicker pads than other ones, might also be true for the new pro 2900. Acix has recommended the thicker pads for the other ultrasones though :p. I myself want to see ethiopian leather pads for the pro 900/2900 ^^.

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 28
"I myself want to see ethiopian leather pads for the pro 900"  I'm with you on this one haloxt.

I am thinking of purchasing some J Money leather Beyer ear pads and fitting them onto my Pro 900.  The ED9 and the ED8 obviously have leather pads and the Pro 550-650 use pleather pads (as well as the HFI series), so I see no reason why the leather pads wont work successfully with the Pro900. 

The outer dimension of the Pro 900 switch pad ring is 10 cm, or 3.94 inches, which co-incidently is the same diameter as the J Money Dennon leather  pads.  (tempting but I think they are likely to change sound significantly due to their construction).  Finding a plastic ring that has a 10 cm diameter shouldn't be hard, and then filing gaps to create the dimension of a switch pad would be very easy.  Alternatively one could simply pull apart an existing pair of switch pads and use the plastic bases.  Simply gluing the leather pad to the plastic switch base should work as the existing velvet/velour pad seems simply glued on.

Any one with any thoughts or experiences?  I'm sure some people have tried the Pro900 with pleather switch pads from the other pros, but as they are much thinner I am not sure how they would work.

Pro900 users wouldn't it be nice to have a set of switch pads with the  quality of the J Money leather pads?  Am I nuts or should I take one for the team and give this a try?

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 28
I will ask Jmoney if they want to make an ultrasone replacement earpad. They may be able to get access to those switchpad plastic pieces easier than we can. Are those pads perfectly round or a bit oval?

Just fyi, if your pro 900 earpads have become compressed, you can make it thicker albeit at the expense of making it have a fuzzy texture. Just soak it in lukewarm water and use your hands to gently squeeze from the sides to restore thickness. Then dry it very well before use, or else it will compress again very fast. I put it over a heater with two inches of distance from the top for 2-3 hours. Always check how hot hte earpads are though as things with water can become quite hot and maybe damage the velour.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
I will ask Jmoney if they want to make an ultrasone replacement earpad. They may be able to get access to those switchpad plastic pieces easier than we can. Are those pads perfectly round or a bit oval?

It would be great if J would make Ultrasone leather pads.  My pads haven't become compressed, as this pair is fairly new (2nd pair) but thanks for your tips.  I believe that the Beyer J Money pads may be ever so slightly oval, however they fit the round beyer cups, so I don't think that a slight stretch and glue to the switch rings would be a problem.  As I mentioned the Dennon pads would fit as well, and those thick asymetrical buggers look fantastic, however just too much of a risk sound wise.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 28
I kind of like the sound of pro 900 when the drivers are further away from the ears so I am curious what would happen with those jmoney denon pads. I just sent them a message asking about making ultrasone earpads. I have fingers crossed but I doubt ultrasone would give them the switchpad pieces.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 28

PLUS

EQUALS

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 28
haloxt- posting pictures was simply my way of bumping the thread.  It hasn't exactly attracted a lot of attention from Pro900 users.  I have contacted J re getting some beyer pads, albeit I haven't heard back as of yet.  If J responds soon and I pay and he sends them and it takes two weeks to get Australia and I mod them (less than a day as I am impatient) then I would estimate I will be back with sound impressions in about three weeks time.

However, J seems to have a reputation as being somewhat erratic in the reliablity area, so who knows how long it will be.  And as I have not heard an Editon 9 my responses will be based on the stock Pro900 (well Kees modded Pro900).  Well anyway I bumped the thread again.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 28
I'm a Pro900 owner and count me as interested.

If you get them can you do a quick write up on how you go them on the ultrasone?

I love the J$ pads on my D7000s and would love the same treatment on the Pro900's.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #13 of 28
There is no doubt in my mind that this is doable.  I will either find suitable plastic rings of 10 inch diameter and modify them with a file to make them into switch pad bases or failing that I will destroy one pair of existing switch pads and attach the J Money Leather pads.  Once this is accomplished, I will AB the leather pads against the existing velour pads and then I will post my impressions of the comparrison.  All we need now is for J to respond to my email and for me to complete the order and recieve them.  If this fails, anyone got any genuine leather beyer pads or similar they want to sell?

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 28
Region2, can you try to put the denon J$ pads on the pro 900 and tell us if the pad circumference is right? If you could, can you please test how it sounds?

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #15 of 28
shiplu20

Velour/velvet

In post 5 I refer to velour/velvet and in post 13 I incorrectly refer to the existing pads as velour.  You are correct, based on the information contained on the Ultrasone website they are in fact velvet.  There now that is cleared up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back