Lear BD4.2 impressions thread + Australian tour
Jul 31, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #46 of 127

I'm trying guys, but I can't take these in the way they are, they're frustrating when you combine the fit issues and sound cutting out.

The sound just quickly is a little underwhelming, not anywhere near a 1Plus2 or Vision Ears level IMO.

For $1100 smackaroos that's highly disappointing. 
Guess that busts the myth that more drivers = better SQ.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #47 of 127
  For $1100 smackaroos that's highly disappointing. 
Guess that busts the myth that more drivers = better SQ.

When we organised this tour we had such high hopes, we thought (well I thought) finally I'm probably going to top the 1Plus2 which remains the best universal hybrid I've heard, but it doesn''t appear so. Quite a long story actually about this Lear, it's been back to Lear once for checking and some adjustments back to us. If the sound was worth it I'd gaff tape them to my ears to take them in though I don't like it or see the appeal here.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #49 of 127
That's really unfortunate. when I stumbled on to this thread last week I had such high hopes. These really looked and read to be nothing short of amazing.

Oh no doubt they look amazing, the specs on paper appear amazing. The photos for advertising look really really amazing. They just dont sound amazing.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #53 of 127
The problem is they simply don't sound anything like a product in this price category. (even with a partial fit)

There's nothing really 'wrong' with the sound besides its poor price to performance ratio. To put things into perspective, if you put the $200 Dunu DN-1000 infront of me and the $1000+ Lear I would take the Dunu, BD4.2 sound is barely pushing to meet the Dunu's performance. It sounds unbelievable given the Lears price tag and driver design, but there's no other way to explain it imo. That's why this thread has been so quiet because we sent the unit back once for testing and withheld  our impressions due how shocked we were on the poor sound, heaps of back and forth via PM. Then there's the fit, and faulty unit issues cutting out.

We keep thinking there must be more to it but it has been checked by Lear very recently.

Keep in mind I know nothing about Lear nore their products in general, so this is not some plot to bring them down.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #54 of 127
It's really unbelievable. The design seems so awesome. It's crazy to think you'd choose a $200 iem over this. I don't mean that offensively towards you, I've read a number of your reviews and I'm not doubting you. it's just mind boggling that that could happen.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #55 of 127
It's really unbelievable. The design seems so awesome. It's crazy to think you'd choose a $200 iem over this. I don't mean that offensively towards you, I've read a number of your reviews and I'm not doubting you. it's just mind boggling that that could happen.

Exactly, that's why no-one posts here, because none of our Australian members wanted to say anything

I think it should be known so Lear can work on it and try and build a better product, because they have the right idea and design, in theory it should be an excellent sounding product though it just doesn't excel like the paper says it should.. I feel sorry for people who have gone out and spent that much money thinking they're listening to a $1000 product.

Anyway, out of respect for Lear (because they have been nothing but helpful) I think I've said enough to get the point across, so I'll leave it at that. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #56 of 127
I definitely appreciate your honesty as this was on my list for sure. From the products in their line they seem to have had some success so perhaps they can remedy whatever is wrong with this. The design seems very nice so maybe they need to work on the tuning aspect. Regardless, I really do thank you for your honesty.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #57 of 127

Exactly, that's why no-one posts here, because none of our Australian members wanted to say anything

I think it should be known so Lear can work on it and try and build a better product, because they have the right idea and design, in theory it should be an excellent sounding product though it just doesn't excel like the paper says it should.. I feel sorry for people who have gone out and spent that much money thinking they're listening to a $1000 product.

Anyway, out of respect for Lear (because they have been nothing but helpful) I think I've said enough to get the point across, so I'll leave it at that. 

No need to tiptoe around it, I think if a company makes a bad IEM they deserve to hear about it. I would be bashing a terrible product if I heard it, that's just part of being an honest reviewer. They need the criticism to help better their product and not release something so poor in value again

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #58 of 127
You do them (Lear or any manufacturer) no favors by not pointing out deficiencies in products when they crop up. It is a bigger disservice to Head-Fi'ers who may spring upwards of $1200+ for them..... It warms the heart that none of this appears to have happened...

I guess I don't have to sell my 1plus2's 
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #59 of 127
It's weird though. This product replaced their LCM5 as their flagship, and the LCM5 was amazing in its price range. Lear must be assuming that this product sounds better than the LCM5 o.O

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #60 of 127
  It's weird though. This product replaced their LCM5 as their flagship, and the LCM5 was amazing in its price range. Lear must be assuming that this product sounds better than the LCM5 o.O

Have you happened to of heard the LCM5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back