LCD2 vs Shure 1840 vs HD800 vs Hifiman (not sure with model)
Jul 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

dsan

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning my next upgrade to the $1000+ land of dream (at least from where I am)
Although Shure is not over 1000, I get the impression it is still good enough to compare with the other models.

I have not listened to any of the models I listed so all I can do is search and see people's opinion.

I want something with big soundstage and openness.
Clear vocal with punchy bass. So it does not need to be flat. 

At the moment I am considering LCD-2 mainly because of its amazing looks and packaging.

This is going to be a big investment for me so I want to be sure with what I am getting.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 70
What music do you listen to and what amp are you going to use ? The LCD-2 and the HiFiMan need a serious amount of current to drive them well... not sure about the Shure (no pun intended). But from the onset, it looks like the LCD-2 is the way to go for you. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 70
What music do you listen to and what amp are you going to use ? The LCD-2 and the HiFiMan need a serious amount of current to drive them well... not sure about the Shure (no pun intended). But from the onset, it looks like the LCD-2 is the way to go for you. 

I listen to vocal ballads. Pop. Hiphop. Some classic

I dont have any serious pump. (Fiio e17?)
I will probably buy seperate amp with my headphone purchase

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 70
Quote:
I listen to vocal ballads. Pop. Hiphop. Some classic
I dont have any serious pump. (Fiio e17?)
I will probably buy seperate amp with my headphone purchase

The only planar that can be driven well by an E17 is probably HE400, the higher up Hifimans / the Audezes will suffer both in terms of volume and in SQ if you try to drive em with just that. Still, it's never a bad idea to get the best possible headphone first and invest in better sources at later dates.

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 70
Quote:
I am planning my next upgrade to the $1000+ land of dream (at least from where I am)
Although Shure is not over 1000, I get the impression it is still good enough to compare with the other models.

I have not listened to any of the models I listed so all I can do is search and see people's opinion.

I want something with big soundstage and openness.
Clear vocal with punchy bass. So it does not need to be flat. 

At the moment I am considering LCD-2 mainly because of its amazing looks and packaging.

This is going to be a big investment for me so I want to be sure with what I am getting.

Planners tend to have a smaller soundstage, but very airy sound. If it is big soundstage and openness you are mainly after, you might want to look at the HD800's

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 70
Agreed. But if you want a "cheap amp" that can drive the LCD 2 reasonably well , the schiit Asgard Is a good choice ($249 new) . But I do agree with jerg's advice, you can always upgrade the source later.

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 70
I tried them all at a meet (except the shures, which I still have never tried).
For my tastes, which is primarily about clarity, detail, some soundstaging and the treble, the hd800 really the spot for me.
That's not to say the others were bad, but I didn't enjoy the sound signature as much.

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 70
The only think about the HD800 is that they sound a bit clinical and if not properly amp'ed, may have a lot of treble. But the HD 800 has one of the best sound stages out there. I sampled the HD800  for around 30 min on orchestral music and the soundstage is godly... but for my music tastes, it was a bit too clinical for me. There is no best headphone and there are tradeoffs, but you can't go wrong with the HD800, the LCD2, or the HiFiMan. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 70
Thank you for the great replies. Although I am still confused, my target is reduced to HD800 vs LCD2

Considering HD800 will cost few hundreds more which I can spend on cheaper headphone + amplifier s the Schiit 
It could be better with the LCD2, but it seems HD800 will have the sound I am looking for...

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 70
Please do audition Shure SRH1840 if you get the chance. I don't think I ever heard a headphone with such a natural and extremely detailed treble and such a coherent and realistic soundstage. The mids on them are also extremely good - I would say really close if not on par with the planars. Bass is tight and defined, although perhaps a bit too rolled off in the lowest octave. But do give these a try if you can. I think they are very competent headphones for their price range and can take on the much more expensive HD800, T1 and the likes too. I can compare them with my HE-500 from memory. I felt SRH1840 was warmer and sweeter, more pleasant sounding. There is something about the sound of the Shures that I just found highly addictive, but don't know what is exactly. HE-500 may be more technically accomplished in some ways. In particular, the bass on the Hifimans reaches deeper in a more linear fashion and is perhaps more detailed, but the mids and highs were so pleasant on the Shure that when I got home from the store where I auditioned them, listening to the HE-500 wasn't such a special experience anymore. Not saying HE-500 mids and highs are worse, but I am pretty certain that the Shures are at least very close to the level of performance the HE-500 offers, if not better.

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 70
The 1840 is built as solid as any headphone I have used. The 940 and 1440 have lots of plastic and are clunky but the 1840 has a wonderfully solid and well designed frame.

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 70
Quote:
The 1840 is built as solid as any headphone I have used. The 940 and 1440 have lots of plastic and are clunky but the 1840 has a wonderfully solid and well designed frame.

thats good, no one wants to break such an expensive headphone
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 70
Quote:
Please do audition Shure SRH1840 if you get the chance. I don't think I ever heard a headphone with such a natural and extremely detailed treble and such a coherent and realistic soundstage. The mids on them are also extremely good - I would say really close if not on par with the planars. Bass is tight and defined, although perhaps a bit too rolled off in the lowest octave. But do give these a try if you can. I think they are very competent headphones for their price range and can take on the much more expensive HD800, T1 and the likes too. I can compare them with my HE-500 from memory. I felt SRH1840 was warmer and sweeter, more pleasant sounding. There is something about the sound of the Shures that I just found highly addictive, but don't know what is exactly. HE-500 may be more technically accomplished in some ways. In particular, the bass on the Hifimans reaches deeper in a more linear fashion and is perhaps more detailed, but the mids and highs were so pleasant on the Shure that when I got home from the store where I auditioned them, listening to the HE-500 wasn't such a special experience anymore. Not saying HE-500 mids and highs are worse, but I am pretty certain that the Shures are at least very close to the level of performance the HE-500 offers, if not better.

Thank you for letting me know.
I think you are the first one who recommended me to try Shure. But your words are very promising.
It is difficult to decide as people have different views towards their preferences and yes it again tells me
that I need to try them on to find my personal best. :frowning2: Which is difficult 

Do you think Shure 1840 have any resemblance of their in ears? Perhaps 535 + openness?

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #15 of 70
Quote:
The only think about the HD800 is that they sound a bit clinical and if not properly amp'ed, may have a lot of treble. But the HD 800 has one of the best sound stages out there. I sampled the HD800  for around 30 min on orchestral music and the soundstage is godly... but for my music tastes, it was a bit too clinical for me. There is no best headphone and there are tradeoffs, but you can't go wrong with the HD800, the LCD2, or the HiFiMan. 

It seems HD800 is recommended by the most (not saying it is the best but prefered in some way?)
I will probably go for the LYR amp as it seems like the best option I can go for to achieve (fairly) low price that can output
expensive cans. 

I just need to decide if I will choose 800 and pay 3000 in total
or pay 2000 for the others and cheer myself with efficient purchase lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back