LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 5, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #1,742 of 2,741
I have a Jot 2 and Bifrost 2. Would the XC sound okay on my setup? Also have an Atticus, Aeolus and Clear if anyone wouldn’t mind comparing. Thank you! 🙏
well i'm using the X on Jot 2 and Aresii and I love it....

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #1,743 of 2,741
Grover! Thanks for being here. You have always been super professional and have a lot of down to earth opinions in the audiophile hobby. ✌️ Was good to see you at Canjam.
ajDlpA8O3o.png

Last seen here nearly a year ago, you probably want to find another way to communicate with him :wink:

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,744 of 2,741
Give mine a try. You can't get a more balanced profile than this.

Pre-Amp = -6.5

25Hz = +2 Q 2
Low Shelf 58Hz = +3 Q 1.2
Low Shelf 125Hz = +1.5 Q 1
450Hz = +1 Q 3.5
700Hz = -1 Q 3.5
1.1kHz = +1 Q 3.5
1.85kHz = +1 Q 3
3.6kHz = +3 Q 3
4.1kHz = +2 Q 4
5.65kHz = -2.5 Q 3
7.3kHz = +1 Q 5
8.3kHz = +1.5 Q 4
12.2kHz = -3 Q 3
I like this EQ except that I find the peak at 3.6k just a bit much and reduced it to +2.5 db- that’s about perfect.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #1,745 of 2,741
I've been burning in my X and I figure conservatively that I have 150 hours on it total, but maybe more...and it really has opened up, especially the mids. I hear much greater depth and clarity and it really sounds great both on my M8 and on my desktop. I'm listening to Vangelis, Blade Runner OST and it just sounds amazing! I put my Jot in high gain and all the notes just pop...high gain just seems to make everything really come alive.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #1,746 of 2,741
I've been burning in my X and I figure conservatively that I have 150 hours on it total, but maybe more...and it really has opened up, especially the mids. I hear much greater depth and clarity and it really sounds great both on my M8 and on my desktop. I'm listening to Vangelis, Blade Runner OST and it just sounds amazing! I put my Jot in high gain and all the notes just pop...high gain just seems to make everything really come alive.
Very nice! How’s the treble with Jotunheim 2 and LCD-X?

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #1,747 of 2,741
Very nice! How’s the treble with Jotunheim 2 and LCD-X?
Well, I'm not a fan of eq but there is a dip around 3.7kHz...that gives the headphone a slightly darker tone...but with my little 5db boost at 3.7khz, it brings a little air into the picture. But honestly I also really like the X with no EQ at all, that 4k dip i think is what actually gives it the 'house sound'... there is a little bit of chirascuro there, and you lose that mystery when you boost the frequency with eq. But it sounds great either way....having said that, i've read some people claim that the jot and aresII is 'warm', but I dont agree with that, it sounds rather neutral to me, and even with that 4k dip, when i'm listening to music, there is never a sense that there is not enough treble.

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #1,749 of 2,741
Well, I'm not a fan of eq but there is a dip around 3.7kHz...that gives the headphone a slightly darker tone...but with my little 5db boost at 3.7khz, it brings a little air into the picture. But honestly I also really like the X with no EQ at all, that 4k dip i think is what actually gives it the 'house sound'... there is a little bit of chirascuro there, and you lose that mystery when you boost the frequency with eq. But it sounds great either way....having said that, i've read some people claim that the jot and aresII is 'warm', but I dont agree with that, it sounds rather neutral to me, and even with that 4k dip, when i'm listening to music, there is never a sense that there is not enough treble.
Thanks so much for the write up. I am hesitant to get the XC since some are saying it’s quite a bit brighter than the open back version. But I have wanted it for a long while now.

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #1,750 of 2,741
Thanks so much for the write up. I am hesitant to get the XC since some are saying it’s quite a bit brighter than the open back version. But I have wanted it for a long while now.
I heard it at canjam, I was surprised at its clarity, and it did come across as a tad bright to me. But it sounded great, my first gut impression was it wasn't that different than the X open back...but I only listened to it for a minute or so.

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #1,751 of 2,741
I have the 2016 upgraded drivers. I've been really happy. What's the general consensus, is the 2020 upgrade worth it?
2020 (2021 officially) is worth it imo. LCD-X is my first planar but it's fantastic and I love the tonality. Rounds out my collection with Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD800S, Koss ESP/95X etc...

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,752 of 2,741
I have the 2016 upgraded drivers. I've been really happy. What's the general consensus, is the 2020 upgrade worth it?
I had a chance to extensively compare both and frankly it boils down to what you're looking for.
If you want really visceral bass and charisma in the highs, the older one is a better option (it is slightly more detailed as well)). OTOH, if you're looking for a relatively flatter sound along with the reduced weight and all, look at the newer version.

Both sound good enough on their own and you'd really have to listen to them side by side to judge and understand the difference (my test was without eq btw).

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,753 of 2,741
2020 (2021 officially) is worth it imo. LCD-X is my first planar but it's fantastic and I love the tonality. Rounds out my collection with Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD800S, Koss ESP/95X etc...
Ah the X is my first planar too :) . However, I can see that you have quite the amazing collection of dynamics. Part of me wants to drop the money on the Focal Clear or the HD800S but.... the HD800s would only serve one use while the Clear might be more balanced in use for me. Granted I don't know what any of them sound like so no reference :frowning2: outside of reviews that is

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #1,754 of 2,741
I recall it was either in this thread, or in the LCD-24 thread which the Audeze representative said fewer magnets would contribute to less obstructive sound wave flow and better imaging. I can't find the exact post though.
Was in the LCD-4z thread:
LCD-24 is in the same leaque as LCD-4z and LCD-4 because it uses same elements as other two headphones: same fluxor magnets, same diaphragm thickness and only similarity with LCD-2 is magnetic circuit. Because that means less magnets therefore the price is also lower. On the other hand, less magnets means more space between them, less obstruction for sound waves and less overall weight . Small difference in efficiency is compensated with more transparency and 15 ohms impedance brings all advantages that LCD-4z has. In other words. another member of the same family with slightly different flavor. Some people will prefer it over others and for them lower price is a potential bargain.

Apr 24, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,755 of 2,741
So I have the chance to pick up a used 2020 LCD-X (not 2021, older sr. nr.) version for about, uh, 1/3rd of the price of the new one. I'm sure the new ones are a fair bit better and I'd probably like the weight reduction but I'm not sure if it's, you know, three times better. Would I be alright opting for the older model or is it really worth waiting for a deal on the newer one? I'm mainly after good bass response and deep, guttural sub-bass.

Another question: are there any established Amp/DAC pairings I should consider for either version?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back