LCD 3 with LYR 2?
Oct 11, 2014 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

s3er0i9ng

New Head-Fier
Looking to buy a relatively inexpensive amp for my LCD 3's and noticed Schiit released LYR 2. Any one paired them with LCD3's? or have suggestions for amps under $1000?

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 3
The Garage1217 Project Ember is even cheaper than the Lyr 2, by about $100. Haven't heard the LCD-3 on it though, so can't comment.

If you want an even cheaper amp, Garage1217 makes another amp, the Project Polaris, a further $100 reduction.

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 3
  The Garage1217 Project Ember is even cheaper than the Lyr 2, by about $100. Haven't heard the LCD-3 on it though, so can't comment.

If you want an even cheaper amp, Garage1217 makes another amp, the Project Polaris, a further $100 reduction.

+1. If you are looking for a hybrid tube amp, I think the Garage1217 Project Ember and Schiit Lyr 2 are the two best options in the sub-$500 price range. Both output more than enough power for the power-hungry orthodynamic headphones and are both well-reviewed around here. Do not have the LCD-3 so cannot comment on that specific pairing. The Lyr 2 works very well with the orthodynamic HE-560s. If you are looking for a tube amp under $500, those are most likely the two best options.

Other output transformerless tube amplifiers are often not recommended for orthodynamics (believe it has to do something with the amplifier's high output impedance that matches better for high impedance headphones and low current, but not sure the technical details so you will have to do some background research). Rule of thumb when matching impedance is that the amplifier's output impedance should be less than 1/8 of your headphone's impedance. Otherwise, unintentionally distortions may occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back