LCD-2C or Sundara for gaming/music
Jan 9, 2022 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nooro

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I figured I would post here so you can help me make my decision regarding my new headphones. Excuse the long post, but I wanted to fit in most of my thoughts.

I'm pretty new to the audiophile/HiFi moneysink, and I'm looking to purchase a new set of headphones to replace my old, failing gaming headset. I figured I should get a _nice_ headset for a change! And I've heard a lot of good things about open backs, so I figured I'd go for that.
I will mostly be using the headset to listen to music while working, and for casual gaming (single player games like dark souls, cyberpunk and sometimes non-competitive FPS). What I'm looking for on the gaming side is mostly immersion and rich, full soundscapes.
I've found a Sundara b-stock for 220 euro, and LCD-2C new for 750 euro. I'm pretty much in love with both of those cans, but I need help deciding between them (or if I shouldn't get either).

Personal preferences: I'm something of a basshead. I like listening to house and electronic music like Daft Punk, Deadmau5, etc. Sometimes songs with vocals as well, but definitely less frequent.
I bought the philips x2hr a couple of months ago and I like the bass on them. However, I've come to realize I'm pretty sensitive to sibilance in the higher frequencies, and even when there isn't the piercing sounds I can still get fatigued by these headphones. So I think I would prefer darker/warmer headphones.
Other than that I use the XM3 for when I'm outside/travelling to work.

Originally my budget was around 300-400 euro, and I was eyeing the Sundara. However, I'm worried about their brightness and lack of bass. This might possible to solve with EQ, but I don't actually know. So I went to a local audio shop and tried them, and found them really comfortable and the sound was great. Bass was lacking though, and I couldn't try them for very long so fatigue is a bit of an unknown too.

Then I got to try to LCD-2C, and they were pretty amazing. I'll have to double my budget, but I might be able to do that. I don't know how well they do with gaming, however, so I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. I've heard the imaging on these isn't good, so that has me a bit worried.
Regarding the weight, I tried using weights on my x2hr to get them to about 550g, and that seems... kinda ok. My neck gets a bit tired after 2 hours or so, but I'm hoping that's something I'll get used to over a week or so.
Audeze also sells the LCD microphone cable, so that seems like a pretty good solution for gaming.
(The LCD-GX isn't an option since I'll be buying these via my work, so I can't buy "gaming" headsets.)

I'll be pairing the headset with the SoundBlasterX G6.

Budget - Roughly 800 euro

Source/Amp - SoundBlasterX G6

How the gear will be used - Home listening. Gaming and mostly electronic music while working.

Preferred tonal balance - Bass head. Brighter headphones can be fatiguing, and sibilance is an issue.

Preferred music genre(s) - Electronic music like Daft Punk, Deadmau5.

Past gear experience - X2HR. Nice bass, fatiguing and sibilance issues.

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 9
Oh, I should probably clarify that I'm looking at the LCD-2 classic, not the LCD-2 closed. The closed ones are above my budget, very heavy, and also I thought I'd try open cans since from what I've heard they're usually better...? Atleast there seems to be more to choose from with open cans.

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 9
I think your going to need more power than soundblaster if your using planars, I suggest the DT1990 and when you buy those you have to buy Dekoni Elite Velours or you will die climbing Mt.Treble, the DT1990 is legit top 5 (almost)any price for gaming(outside the obvious $4000+ TOTL that outdetail and out image anything less) and probably within reason second to only the HD800 under $1000-$1500ish, they are quite good for movies especially action and such, and most importantly they are easy to drive vs planars and they don't really scale well at all which sucks if you have fancy pants gear but is amazing if you are running low tier stuff :)

Also they are CHEAP right now, you can probably pick up a barely used one for $400 if you wait a week or get lucky.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 9
I think your going to need more power than soundblaster if your using planars, I suggest the DT1990 and when you buy those you have to buy Dekoni Elite Velours or you will die climbing Mt.Treble, the DT1990 is legit top 5 (almost)any price for gaming(outside the obvious $4000+ TOTL that outdetail and out image anything less) and probably within reason second to only the HD800 under $1000-$1500ish, they are quite good for movies especially action and such, and most importantly they are easy to drive vs planars and they don't really scale well at all which sucks if you have fancy pants gear but is amazing if you are running low tier stuff :)

Also they are CHEAP right now, you can probably pick up a barely used one for $400 if you wait a week or get lucky.
I actually went ahead and ordered the Sundara for 210 Euro (b-stock). Was afraid it might run out of stock, and I figured I would test them and see if they're to my liking. If not I'll just return them and try something else. Start from the lower part of the price-spectrum.

Sucks that the G6 might be too weak for the Sundaras.. Perhaps I should buy the Ifi Zen Can amplifier to go with them, for that extra bass. Generally it seems it's supposed to be used in a stack with the Ifi zen dac, but I'm thinking that any dac should work?

Thanks for the tip about the DT1990. I heard they're quite bright, so I'm afraid I might be a bit sensitive to their highs. But I'll read up on it if the Sundaras don't cut it.

/Nooro

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Jan 13, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Is monoprice EU store good place to buy their stuff? Do they ship from EU warehouse or US?

The Monoprice EU store (monoprice.eu) is Monoprice US's (monoprice.com) European store and the store is a good place to buy Monoprice-branded products, but it is the Monoprice-branded products themselves that has people adding their two cents for better or worse. From what I have heard, the M565C has quite an overall build improvement over the M560 and even has people trying out new, albeit less drastic modifications on them.

Also, if you want a decently-high-powered DAC/Amp for cheap that is in stock with the EU, this one will definitely work:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...s9018-qcc3008-24bit-192khz-black-p-14524.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back