LCD-2, LCD-3, Owners and the Music They Love...
Feb 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #1,036 of 1,111
Are you posting on any forums about your setup? I'd be interested in reading about your setup and room treatments (bass traps, etc). 

Quote:
Well my new Gallo Stradas have electrostatic headphone resolution and beyond so maybe I could grandfather myself back into my own thread on that basis alone.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,037 of 1,111

Quote:
Are you posting on any forums about your setup? I'd be interested in reading about your setup and room treatments (bass traps, etc). 

I'm redesigning a small space right now, horribly small but quite a challenge  10' X 10'.  The space is a real challenge to say the least.  Once I get a subwoofer in I'll know more about the bass response in the room but I'm more focused on absorbing reflecting waves in the room since it is so small.   Especially the higher frequencies.  

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #1,041 of 1,111

Quote:
Since you asked, I'm lurking over in this place for a while looking for acoustic ideas. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=73.0

Cool, thanks! I think you put some of the forum in shock selling your LCD's.
wink.gif
 But as someone who's been reading your stuff since the rev2 was released, I can attest that you've often said that speakers were your first love. I love the LCD-2 but I really want to put together a speaker rig in the next 6-12 months. And yes, you should stay and share your LCD-2 insights for as long as you want to. And especially keep posting in the music threads. My 2 cents. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,044 of 1,111
And another...

Nirvana; Nevermind.

I first heard them on a UK television show called 'The Word', playing 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', which apparently was their international debut. Around 20 years ago.

It was one of those songs that burns itself into your brain, and the album is a classic.

51tr3o4kd9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,045 of 1,111

Quote:
I just searched back through the thread, and I'm amazed that nobody has posted this yet.

Radiohead; OK Computer

images

I got tickets yesterday for their Australian leg of the 2012 tour. Saw them 8 years ago when they were last here. It's months away but I'm so psyched!

Quote:
I hinted at this much earlier in this thread, but it deserves a stronger recommendation.

Don't just take my word for it; read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquee_Moon

Television; Marquee Moon
51ImgBLOx-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

x2

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,046 of 1,111

Quote:
Cool, thanks! I think you put some of the forum in shock selling your LCD's.
wink.gif
 But as someone who's been reading your stuff since the rev2 was released, I can attest that you've often said that speakers were your first love. I love the LCD-2 but I really want to put together a speaker rig in the next 6-12 months. And yes, you should stay and share your LCD-2 insights for as long as you want to. And especially keep posting in the music threads. My 2 cents. 

Thanks, I got PM's from people all over the globe puzzled about my sale of the LCD-2 and the V200 which is up for sale.  My main reason as I said was because my ears are more intensely drawn to speakers.  For the many months I had the LCD's I tried not to listen to music from speakers so I could hopefully adjust to the headphone paradigm.  It took me a while to make the transition and for a while there I was doing OK with it.  The LCD-2/V200 is a fine combination and it is exciting.  But then came the catalyst which was composed of a few components which reversed my listening habits.   First it was the LCD-3 that I had on loan not too long after it hit the market.  It was veiled.  It cost $2K.  It didn't blow me away and I realized that even without the veil it was not nearly enough of a sonic vision or aural enticement for the $2K price tag.  This really dashed my hopes for the future of headphone pleasure.  For $2K I could get a far more pleasing, realistic and engrossing sonic experience than I ever will from the $2K LCD-3.  To be honest this really bummed me out for a while.  I was hoping the next revolution in headphone design was really going to wow me, and when the $2K price tag was announced I thought the time had come.  The LCD-3 is a fine headphone and wether or not it is worth $2K to some people is completely a subjective thing, but for $2K I expect a headphone to blow me away with an experience that makes me marvel, makes me completely forget where I am, and that there is a universe of music around me.  all around me.  Instead I experienced not an revolution in headphone technology buy just another step in the Audeze evolution which was far short of my expectations.  I have a lot of respect for $2K. $2K is a lot of money.  Not only did the experience fall short of that respect but so did the QC of the LCD-3. 

Another component in the the catalyst is my fear that prolonged headphone listening is simply dangerous to ones hearing in the long term.  I'm not talking about excessive levels that are simply dangerous to start with but the average levels experienced with headphone usage to get the proper amount of musical detail and impact.  Having a transducer right up on my ears for 5 or so hours everyday and the effects of this practice was a growing concern to me particularly after I used the LCD-3 in this manner for over three weeks.  The LCD-3 had these very soft leather pads that created a tighter than LCD-2 seal around my ears and for me it created an extra amount of air pressure inside my ears that grew more and more uncomfortable at average listening levels and after 3 weeks I began to get ringing in my ears.  This development and my already growing concerns about headphone usage led me to take a 6 week hiatus from headphones altogether. 

During that six week I listened solely to speakers, and it became clear to me which direction I had to go back to my decades long practice of speaker listening and abandon the pursuit of the headphone paradigm.  

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,048 of 1,111

Quote:

I got tickets yesterday for their Australian leg of the 2012 tour. Saw them 8 years ago when they were last here. It's months away but I'm so psyched!

That's fantastic; they're a great band. I've never seen them play live, but would love to - as I've got older I haven't been going to concerts.

'Creep' is probably my favourite track, but OK Computer was what hooked me, so it's a great place to explore from.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,049 of 1,111
I last saw them when they were touring Hail to the Thief. I can't convey how magical that was. I distinctly recall the drums at the start of There There smashing the built up anticipation of the avid fans crowding Rod Laver Arena and the immense roar when the lights beamed down on Radiohead in the flesh. Such a perfect moment. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Something tells me this may be the last opportunity to see Radiohead live. You owe it to yourself to move heaven and earth if you get the chance to attend a live performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back